Santa Clara Vanguard - GE Music and Brass Scores

Listen here buddy, it's fine (although confusing as well) that you hated SCV's hornline and their show this year. Everybody's got their own opinion. Critique their show as much as you want. But, for the love of God, don't EVER insult SCV by saying that they sounded bad during Send in the Clowns. You clearly have no respect for the Vanguard or the thousands of people involved with this organization. The Vanguard corps song has an extremely deep meaning to anyone involved with this corps, and even to some who aren't, that you obviously don't understand. I know this is DCP and I shouldn't be surprised by someone insulting a corps, but seriously. I know it's your opinion and all, but I just wanted to let you know that that statement you made is extremely disrespectful to Santa Clara Vanguard and everything that it stands for.

Hold on there for a second. To suggest that Send in the Clowns could never sound bad no matter what is a bit unrealistic. SCV is without a doubt my favorite corps, so don't misconstrue my statements for disdain for the organization one bit. Nothing could be further from the truth. As a person who has adored the organization (and their corps song) for decades, I was offended by what I heard.

• Like 2

Listen here buddy, it's fine (although confusing as well) that you hated SCV's hornline and their show this year. Everybody's got their own opinion. Critique their show as much as you want. But, for the love of God, don't EVER insult SCV by saying that they sounded bad during Send in the Clowns. You clearly have no respect for the Vanguard or the thousands of people involved with this organization. The Vanguard corps song has an extremely deep meaning to anyone involved with this corps, and even to some who aren't, that you obviously don't understand. I know this is DCP and I shouldn't be surprised by someone insulting a corps, but seriously. I know it's your opinion and all, but I just wanted to let you know that that statement you made is extremely disrespectful to Santa Clara Vanguard and everything that it stands for.

I think what he meant was that Clowns has so much meaning to everyone that has been involved with the corps, that the level of playing he heard on it shouldn't have been considered acceptable.

• Like 1

Hold on there for a second. To suggest that Send in the Clowns could never sound bad no matter what is a bit unrealistic. SCV is without a doubt my favorite corps, so don't misconstrue my statements for disdain for the organization one bit. Nothing could be further from the truth. As a person who has adored the organization (and their corps song) for decades, I was offended by what I heard.

I think what he meant was that Clowns has so much meaning to everyone that has been involved with the corps, that the level of playing he heard on it shouldn't have been considered acceptable.

A total misunderstanding on my part. Sorry about that, just got a little carried away there. No hard feelings!

• Like 1

Clearly the judges, (those people who's opinions matter) thought SCV had an 8th place hornline.

Indeed.

The judges, of 3 I personally know (DC,AL,AD), thought that SCV had the most demanding book and simultaneous responsibilities of any corps.

Any level of execution with a book that difficult will yield some reward in the scores.

• Like 1

Indeed.

The judges, of 3 I personally know (DC,AL,AD), thought that SCV had the most demanding book and simultaneous responsibilities of any corps.

Any level of execution with a book that difficult will yield some reward in the scores.

Thank you. I think that's the point people are missing. With the demand of their show, (yes, probably over the kids' heads) there's no way they would pull in an Ott, that's just realistic. But with the demand they had both musically and visually, they did pull it off very well. They held their own, and finished 8th in brass.

The whole point of this thread still seems slightly ridiculous. It's no small secret Mr. Bud has some sort of axe to grind against the corps, so he's tried to make a big deal out of nothing. I've yet to see the 20 page thread on Madison's 14th place drums at Semi's.... Just saying.

• Like 3

Thank you. I think that's the point people are missing. With the demand of their show, (yes, probably over the kids' heads) there's no way they would pull in an Ott, that's just realistic. But with the demand they had both musically and visually, they did pull it off very well. They held their own, and finished 8th in brass.

The whole point of this thread still seems slightly ridiculous. It's no small secret Mr. Bud has some sort of axe to grind against the corps, so he's tried to make a big deal out of nothing. I've yet to see the 20 page thread on Madison's 14th place drums at Semi's.... Just saying.

Ok. Now we are talking. I agree, Madison's drumlin this year is definitely worth talking about as well. To me, they were VERY fortunate to finish where they did in drums. There were many drumlins that finished below them (even though they finished 14th) that should have beaten them. Lots of similarities there.

The whole point of this thread still seems slightly ridiculous. It's no small secret Mr. Bud has some sort of axe to grind against the corps, so he's tried to make a big deal out of nothing.

Mr. Bud is SCV alum. He is a protégé of Mr. Royer. He has been the director of one of the east coasts most decorated HS marching bands for close to 35 years. He, like many alumni, is tired of SCV not living up to the standards set by its founder.

Edited by oldskl3rings
  • Like 2

Ok. Now we are talking. I agree, Madison's drumlin this year is definitely worth talking about as well. To me, they were VERY fortunate to finish where they did in drums. There were many drumlins that finished below them (even though they finished 14th) that should have beaten them. Lots of similarities there.

So, do you want to start up the thread about them?

• Like 3

So, do you want to start up the thread about them?

Not really, no. However, if there was one going and people were saying that they were getting a bad rap I would certainly argue the contrary.

You are right. I do take it seriously. I have a lot of respect for The Vanguard. I do not blame the kids and I do think they made a great hire with the Bluecoats brass staff coming over. I did not agree with the hiring of the old Cavaliers brass staff when it was first announced and voiced those concerns on here last year and those concerns came into fruition worse than I could have imagined. So yes, I did / do take it seriously.

The members are not, but the staff certainly are. By drum corps standards, they were very well payed professionals. I do not blame the members. Not one bit. They played the way that they were taught / told to play. I would not fault them unless they blatantly had a disregard for their instructors or the music in front of them. I do not believe that was the case with them this year. Every time I saw them in the lot, the members seamed very focused and attentive. So, I am not blaming them one bit.

Yes. Absolutely.. but not all.

Ok. It's a matter of perspective I guess. If we are comparing 2011 SCV to all brass sounds on the planet, then yes, they were far from horrible. If we are comparing them to all drum corps this last season, that is debatable. If we are comparing them to past SCV lines, I think it is pretty clear and many other alumni would agree.

Thank you for clarifying!