Semifinals Webcast chat

So if BD pulls out the win tomorrow, is it an upset?

Or better yet, are they the underdog to win now? Seems weird to think of the Devs like that after the last few years.

Absolutely the Blue Devils are the underdog going into the Finals tomorrow nite. The Cadets are in the drivers seat. Its theirs for the taking. It was a 4 Corps race last week, then last night it became a 3 Corps race. Cavs are done as of tonite making it a 2 Corps race, as they have no shot now for all intents and purposes. They're not jumping from 3rd in Semi's to win it tommorow nite. Those kinds of placement movements ( 3rd to first )from Semi's to Finals went out years ago. Its The Cadets to lose. The overwhelming majority of Corps that win the Semi's, win the Title the next night. Only Corps that look to have momentum on their side coming into Finals usually jump from 2nd to first on Finals Night. But right now, it's been The Cadets with the momentum the last week. I said back in June that this was the winning Corps show if they could clean this thing. To The Cadets credit, they did exactly that and cleaned this difficult drill up. Unless The Cadets have a bad night, this is the DCI Champion for 2011.... and deservedly so, imo. The visual show, drill, theme, music, etc just flows from start to finish. Its a stunning visual treat. They have the whole package now, and are peaking at precisely the time you want a Corps to peak.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

Watching everything tonight was such a great experience. It hurts me that I wasn't there on the field tonight, but seeing so many friends at the age-out ceremony really made it worth it. So many memories with so many of those people that I'll never forget. It was just so cool to see people from every corps coming together and celebrate their achievements was such a heart-warming moment.

Onto the show, it's great to see Santa Clara holding in 6th place, the GE Music judges seemed to agree much more.

Good to see Crown still taking brass, they really have the best line out there, still can't believe how they made those arrangements work! :thumbup:

All I know is that tomorrow is going to be crazy. No matter who wins, this has to go down as one of the best seasons in a long time! Good luck to everyone, I'll be watching for scores tomorrow night. Great job to Spirit, making it back into Finals. :worthy:

Okay, some people just have to be negative? Geez....

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 2

I don't know about you guys, but seeing all of the smiles and friendships during the age out ceremony really put things into perspective. Competition is great, but being part of these organizations is a truly unique and amazing thing. Those performers are to be applauded every time they step on the field, because without them, we wouldn't have anything to love, hate, praise or argue about.

To every corps and corps member, thank you.

This activity is amazing.

We enjoyed the age out ceremony when we were at Indy 2010. They started a stadium wave that connected with the audience. I've been watching clips from BD's live footage over the summer. The DMs are wonderful spokes people and inviting. I really liked the footage where the DM is trying to find the hornline after the rain and looking under overpasses, lol. He is one of many age outs that have shown leadership and character. Kudos to all the 2011 age outs!

Kudos to Fan Network crew. I had a great day watching in Beta and Standard. No issues except for my ISP stopped at the most inconvenient time. Thanks for the rerun option :-) Thanks again Fan Network Crew!!! Great footage, in my honest opinion.

Absolutely the Blue Devils are the underdog going into the Finals tomorrow nite. The Cadets are in the drivers seat. Its theirs for the taking. It was a 4 Corps race last week, then last night it became a 3 Corps race. Cavs are done as of tonite making it a 2 Corps race, as they have no shot now for all intents and purposes. They're not jumping from 3rd in Semi's to win it tommorow nite. Those kinds of placement movements ( 3rd to first )from Semi's to Finals went out years ago. Its The Cadets to lose. The overwhelming majority of Corps that win the Semi's, win the Title the next night. Only Corps that look to have momentum on their side coming into Finals usually jump from 2nd to first on Finals Night. But right now, it's been The Cadets with the momentum the last week. I said back in June that this was the winning Corps show if they could clean this thing. To The Cadets credit, they did exactly that and cleaned this difficult drill up. Unless The Cadets have a bad night, this is the DCI Champion for 2011.... and deservedly so, imo. The visual show, drill, theme, music, etc just flows from start to finish. Its a stunning visual treat. They have the whole package now, imo.

It's amazing that just a few weeks ago, myself and Plan9 (I think) were debating on whether or not Cadets would be able to clean this drill. I'm glad to see with my experience in marching there and with the staff's experience in teaching, I was right. Not trying to gloat or anything like that, just making the point that this is The Cadets and they're able to do what appears to be impossible.

• Like 1

HOw do people feel about Madison's placement??

Seems about right; percussion is not helping their over-all placement this year. To be fair, while percussion is their weakest caption Visual is a very close second across the board (sheets). With vis PLUS percussion placing in double digits it's REALLY hard (impossible, IMO) to make an argument for higher than 10th placement. It's a good show, and IMO a step up in over-all design from last year, but I think they're placing exactly where they should be.

They're entertaining the snot out of fans, and in the end that's what is important, right?

One more belated but well deserved shout out to BDB, SCVC and Oregon Crusaders for making to the big dance! And having two corps from the same organization on Semi's night is amazing (BD, BDB & SCV, SCVC).....just astounding! :thumbup:

• Like 4

I feel like I incidentally got tickets near the regiment block. Mostly everyone around and above me went nuts once phantom walked on. It's cool how Crown and Phantom really set the stage for the remaining three corps. Can't wait for tomorrow night. it's gonna be HUUUGEE.

Dearest 2011 Drum Corps,

I love all of you! Thanks for a great, great, GREAT season!

Congrats to the top 12 for making it in there. Congrats to the 3 Open Class groups for getting into World Class semi-finals. Congrats to our International friends for making the journey and bringing us some incredible performances.

All involved on and off the field, I raise my glass to you.

Cheers! And thanks!

Madrid

One more belated but well deserved shout out to BDB, SCVC and Oregon Crusaders for making to the big dance! And having two corps from the same organization on Semi's night is amazing (BD, BDB & SCV, SCVC).....just astounding! :thumbup:

That was so cool seeing Open Class corps on the field today!!!! Especially seeing how they really fared against the World Corps, and SCVC moved up in the rankings. I know it would have been amazing to march against the WC, I'm glad these kids got the chance to do that! Congrats to BDB for the win, and for OC and SCVC for making 22 and 23rd.

• Like 3

Seems about right; percussion is not helping their over-all placement this year. To be fair, while percussion is their weakest caption Visual is a very close second across the board (sheets). With vis PLUS percussion placing in double digits it's REALLY hard (impossible, IMO) to make an argument for higher than 10th placement. It's a good show, and IMO a step up in over-all design from last year, but I think they're placing exactly where they should be.

They're entertaining the snot out of fans, and in the end that's what is important, right?

I'd have to agree. Especially with the percussion and visual thing. I would love to put them ahead of BK and BAC... but those two are performing a whole lot better. Especially BK and that crazy never ending March Sylvester drill... that they are achieving pretty well. And well.... I already voiced my displeasure over BAC's show and probably BK and BAC should be switched in my book. That is honestly my biggest problem with the scores tonight... top to bottom. And some of the spreads were odd tonight. I think they were really conservative and tight early on, and then they realized they could open things up later on.