Revolution Erupts

How can things be misinterpreted as "fire the staff?"

• Like 6

Also...

Why are you making people responsible for the 1000+ mile trip home who didn't perform in a required parade, when you yourself resigned BEFORE the season was even over? Wasn't it your responsibility to manage that corps, just like their responsibility to perform in the parade?

I get the fact that you aren't a paid person, but what about those members who you wanted to leave stranded, you think they had the $ to pay for a plane/train ticket back to Texas.

• Like 6

I agree with drummantx. The very very least that should have been done is the director sit down w/ the entire corps and staff after their final show/ parade/ performance sometime afterwards and lay out the remainder of the itinerary just as you have the daily schedule posted. It would have eliminated any confusion. But how would you plan on collecting outstanding debt the corps members still owe? I would hope it wouldn't be the same circumstance as not marching the parade. You still have a moral and professional responsibility to make sure every member is returned home safely. As much miscommunication as there was (i.e. leaving instructions w/ another staff member) it is possible there may have been as little as one member that were not aware they were required to march the parade in order to get home?

On a side note read my tribute to Robert Lendman. In 1982, the Blus Stars were breathing their last breath financially and did not field a corps in 83 or possibly again thereafter. But Bob and Allison made a promise to every out state member and their parents that they would be returned home safely. And at that time, there was a lot of out of state members, most of them 1500-2000 miles from home. But Bob and Allison took the bull by the horns and personally drove those kids home from LaCrosse to Denver, Salt Lake, LA and the Seattle area. And there was very little if any money left in the coffers! Now the Blue Stars bus was the corps bus so they didn't have to deal with a charter company, but I know Bob and Allison didn't plan on spending an additional week on the road after an already brutal cross country tour. I guess I was fortunate to have somebody like Bob and Allison at the helm. What I"m probably trying to say to you John is, I understand you have personal issues and deadlines and I wish you well in dealing with your health, but don't you need to evaluate all of your personal factors before going on tour or at the least communicate to the corps and staff who is in charge when you are not present? I"m not attacking you, I'm just reading your post and your statement of the threat of leaving kids on their own imo is not the way to handle this even if it was just a way to get them to comply with marching in the parade. I have known many kids who started with Revo that have gone on to SCV, BK, Colts to name a few. I hope these types of situations would not be the reason why they left for greener pastures.

• Like 6

I agree... DCP is not the place for this.

This needs to be handled by parents of the members, staff, boosters and board members.

Mannie,

Normally, I agree that we shouldn't air our dirty laundry publicly, especially when the 'discussion' is just unfounded accusations being thrown about. I only felt the need to comment on a statement made by the director himself, and it seems that that statement is now what concerns several people. This is no longer a baseless personal attack, it is a discussion about the publicly-stated attitude of a corps director.

(edited to direct this directly to Mannie, whose name I saw in his signature.)

Edited by MaestroBen

There has to be a place people can come to discuss incidents like this one. The tricky part is on the moderators...making sure DCP treads the fine line between productive discussion and baseless rumor.

In this particular case, I believe the original poster had a valid reason for posting, and I have no problem with that. Additionally, it was further validated by Revolution's director (former?) responding. The actions described by both parties have done a lot to hurt Revo in the short run and Texas drum corps in the long run.

I see no reason to close the thread, or prevent discussion. i urge the mods to tread with caution, but leave the thread open. I just hope it doesn't descend into unwarranted personal attacks.

• Like 8

Mannie,

Normally, I agree that we shouldn't air our dirty laundry publicly, especially when the 'discussion' is just unfounded accusations being thrown about. I only felt the need to comment on a statement made by the director himself, and it seems that that statement is now what concerns several people. This is no longer a baseless personal attack, it is a discussion about the publicly-stated attitude of a corps director.

(edited to direct this directly to Mannie, whose name I saw in his signature.)

Short of what he calls a "miscommunication", John Rodriguez's post was simply a confirmation of the facts in the original posts. A lack of confirmation on his part would not have made the facts less accurate and certainly not "unfounded". Those of us with first-hand knowledge of what happened don't need a statement from him to be concerned and/or angry.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure there is a section in the member contract where it states members can be thrown off of tour and required to find their own transportation home for things like refusing to perform. Since every member has to fill out this paperwork (and parents too if the member is under 18) then the members and their parents already knew if they refused to perform then they could be kicked off tour and required to find their own transportation home.

• Like 1