Revolution Erupts

Just my 2 cents...

Is this stuff happening with other corps in DCI? I am sure many smaller corps have some financial problems. Maybe the DCI touring model should be changed. Maybe, in some way, this model has led (IN SOME WAY) to the demise of many junior corps. This day an age, with our economy, DCI should reconsider this model and change it. Anyone else agree?

I came to the conclusion that we thought differently (about desired contingencies) because you stated: "I wasn't recommending cancellation of next year's tour as the desired contingency..." And I believe that it is the desired contingency. So, where is my presumption?

I thought you'd rather scale back the current year's tour, in preference to completing a debt-laden tour and paying it back the following (inactive) season. My mistake.

That is one funny line; :w00t: I will make sure to attribute it to you because I am now going to use it quite often!!

I can't claim it as mine, I heard my brother use it first and since then by several people.

I do love hot it fits certain situations so well

I thought you'd rather scale back the current year's tour, in preference to completing a debt-laden tour and paying it back the following (inactive) season. My mistake.

Hopefully this will be more clear: Canceling a tour is my desired option whether it is partial or full. Moreover, I would never allow the corps to be out on a debt-laden tour in the first place. If I was not assured that the funds were there, in full, up-front by the end of May, the current tour would be scaled back or canceled based on what money was "in the bank" at that time. This would also include securing insurance and an emergency fund to make sure I could get us home in case something tragic happened. This is where many directors who have driven corps into the ground over the years have failed miserably; their philosophical reasoning places the value of the music, performance, city touring, finals, (the kids deserve to play at all costs) etc... over the value of the actual financial welfare of the corporation itself. And without the corporation, you cannot do anything for any kid.

Edited by Stu

Just my 2 cents...

Is this stuff happening with other corps in DCI? I am sure many smaller corps have some financial problems. Maybe the DCI touring model should be changed. Maybe, in some way, this model has led (IN SOME WAY) to the demise of many junior corps. This day an age, with our economy, DCI should reconsider this model and change it. Anyone else agree?

ABSOLUTELY. There are a couple corps who need to be reevaulated by DCI. Some corps don't get put into the spoltlight on issues like this b/c they don't make finals. When Parents and recent staff members bring the issue up with DCI, they were told there is nothing they can do about it. I find that hard to believe.

But there's nothing I can do about it. I love the activity, so I guess I'll just have to sit back,observe, and continue to support DCI.

ABSOLUTELY. There are a couple corps who need to be reevaulated by DCI. Some corps don't get put into the spoltlight on issues like this b/c they don't make finals. When Parents and recent staff members bring the issue up with DCI, they were told there is nothing they can do about it. I find that hard to believe.

But there's nothing I can do about it. I love the activity, so I guess I'll just have to sit back,observe, and continue to support DCI.

Just curious. Who (from DCI) told you that there is nothing DCI can do about this situation?

Just called a parent to confirm: It was Sue Kuehnhold of DCI.

Let me get this clear: You are saying that Sue Kuehnhold claims that DCI cannot prevent corps who are in debt, and in danger of leaving the kids stranded without buses, from being schedule in shows either sanctioned or sponsored by DCI? That DCI "has" to accommodate the touring requests of those corps?

Let me get this clear: You are saying that Sue Kuehnhold claims that DCI cannot prevent corps who are in debt, and in danger of leaving the kids stranded without buses, from being schedule in shows either sanctioned or sponsored by DCI? That DCI "has" to accommodate the touring requests of those corps?

Not my exact words, and not my exact situation. But when multiple parents send in letters of concern and they're told "DCI can't do anything about the situation until the sitation can be confirmed", What should one think? Most importantly what do the parents think. Please give me an answer because I didn't have a valid explination for 40 parents at the time either.

Edit: And this past season they had the exact same issues. So many does "sitations" and parent complaints does it take before someone from DCI steps in. Sometimes I think it take a corps to fold for a situation to be handled.

Edited by MelloHorn13

Not my exact words, and not my exact situation. But when multiple parents send in letters of concern and they're told "DCI can't do anything about the situation until the sitation can be confirmed", What should one think? Most importantly what do the parents think. Please give me an answer because I didn't have a valid explination for 40 parents at the time either.

Edit: And this past season they had the exact same issues. So many does "sitations" and parent complaints does it take before someone from DCI steps in. Sometimes I think it take a corps to fold for a situation to be handled.

...in my experience (dated to when I was on the Advisory board for II/III, just before the "Open and World" designations became real) DCI doesn't get into the books of the individual groups. It (read; roving administrators like Tom Hope on the west coast) travels to consult with the corps when they look like they need it, or are just coming out. Tour is decided in the winter, and *everybody* does their best to adhere to the schedule, but, of course, #### happens and adjustments, sometimes large, are made. The groups I've been involved with usually had the tees crossed, etc, but I've been looking-over-the-fence close to some pretty iffy situations that got, er, overlooked...

cg