Revolution Erupts

Not my exact words, and not my exact situation. But when multiple parents send in letters of concern and they're told "DCI can't do anything about the situation until the sitation can be confirmed", What should one think? Most importantly what do the parents think. Please give me an answer because I didn't have a valid explination for 40 parents at the time either.

Edit: And this past season they had the exact same issues. So many does "sitations" and parent complaints does it take before someone from DCI steps in. Sometimes I think it take a corps to fold for a situation to be handled.

I cannot speak for DCI or Sue, but I can address the definition of "confirmed". Once the balance sheets of a corps are opened prior to the scheduling of any tour by any corps, which DCI should have access to a corps ledger due to the corps being a 501c3 corporation, and that ledger shows outstanding debt which is greater than current revenue, or the planned budget shows the probability that situation will occur, that is called conformation. If DCI is not monitoring corps in such a manner, shame on them; if a corps is showing DCI fabricated books, shame on them; if both DCI and the corps are using the future possible collection of performer dues as a solid basis for establishing financial stability, shame on both.

I am going to send you both to your rooms with no dinner. Now the two of you get in your rooms and sit there and think about what you have done. I mean it. Now.

I've thought about it. I'm right, he's right, and now we're watching youtube on our laptops

:tongue:

...in my experience (dated to when I was on the Advisory board for II/III, just before the "Open and World" designations became real) DCI doesn't get into the books of the individual groups. It (read; roving administrators like Tom Hope on the west coast) travels to consult with the corps when they look like they need it, or are just coming out. Tour is decided in the winter, and *everybody* does their best to adhere to the schedule, but, of course, #### happens and adjustments, sometimes large, are made. The groups I've been involved with usually had the tees crossed, etc, but I've been looking-over-the-fence close to some pretty iffy situations that got, er, overlooked...

cg

If, and I say a big IF, this is true in the current DCI business practices, then DCI (and remember the IF in my statement), then DCI would share some blame for the demise of Revo. The DCI front office is a governing body of a 501c3 organization that is built by corps for the corps with a Mission Statement to look out for one another; therefore DCI has a duty to keep a close eye on the financial status of every corps in the collective.

• Like 2

If, and I say a big IF, this is true in the current DCI business practices, then DCI (and remember the IF in my statement), then DCI would share some blame for the demise of Revo. The DCI front office is a governing body of a 501c3 organization that is built by corps for the corps with a Mission Statement to look out for one another; therefore DCI has a duty to keep a close eye on the financial status of every corps in the collective.

...I think you are correct... in reality it is one 501c3 overseeing numerous *other* 510c3's. There should be, as a condition of membership, an ability for DCI to check the books of administered units. Frankly, I don't know if that condition exists!

cg

...I think you are correct... in reality it is one 501c3 overseeing numerous *other* 510c3's. There should be, as a condition of membership, an ability for DCI to check the books of administered units. Frankly, I don't know if that condition exists!

cg

Do they check the books on the World Class Corps. They are advertised as "DCI Member Corps", so I was wondering if they they were any different standards for them. I know they check the books when you apply for World Class status.

First, let me say on behalf of myself and, I'm sure, oldschoolbc, thank you for getting this thread back on track. I can't imagine what prompted me to discuss the details of accounting standards here - it's enough to put most people to sleep in person, in a class, let alone on a board like this. It's like I started talking "office" in DCP! Good God, I lost my head. Frankly, I'd rather argue with Plan9.

This thread is of great interest to me, and I'm interested in the brain trust of opinions.about financing.

What's the general opinion here about what funds should be "in the bank" prior to leaving for tour. Is it 100% of the season, in hand? Can you leave with 60% of your season made but not "banked" until the end of the season? If the corps has a "net-90" accounts payable and receivable - effectively after season end, can they leave for tour?

What if you have 80% of the season made and your deficit is strictly from MM's dues not yet paid. Can you leave?

What are the financial parameters, in the brain trust's opinion, that give a green light for the corps to hop on the buses?

First, let me say on behalf of myself and, I'm sure, oldschoolbc, thank you for getting this thread back on track. I can't imagine what prompted me to discuss the details of accounting standards here - it's enough to put most people to sleep in person, in a class, let alone on a board like this. It's like I started talking "office" in DCP! Good God, I lost my head. Frankly, I'd rather argue with Plan9.

This thread is of great interest to me, and I'm interested in the brain trust of opinions.about financing.

What's the general opinion here about what funds should be "in the bank" prior to leaving for tour. Is it 100% of the season, in hand? Can you leave with 60% of your season made but not "banked" until the end of the season? If the corps has a "net-90" accounts payable and receivable - effectively after season end, can they leave for tour?

What if you have 80% of the season made and your deficit is strictly from MM's dues not yet paid. Can you leave?

What are the financial parameters, in the brain trust's opinion, that give a green light for the corps to hop on the buses?

Personally, 60% in the bank before June 1st from Winter Fundraisers and donations. 20% MM fees and 20% performance fees at the beginning/during the summer should.

When I had to deal with this sort of stuff, I always aimed for 50% in the bank from Winter Fundraisers, donations and MM fees. the other 50% was made up during the summer through, shows, parades, fundraisers, and we gave the option for parents to pay remaining MM fees during the summer. Always had a "back-up" fund. Could always count on $10-15,000 in membership dues within a month after the season ends, which paid remaining bills and restocked the "back-up" fund. Not sure how other corps did it.

If say 70% (+ or -) is "in the Bank" on June 1 and:

a) ... members dues are paid in full (those not paid-up will not go on tour), as well as an approved grant, or guaranteed donation, will be deposited by July 20 which will pay for the other 30% (and I have enough reserve to get the corps home in an emergency) I would go on tour; and if the grant/donation for some reason did not materialize either shorten the tour or take a few weeks hiatus and maybe go to finals. Also, everyone in the organization would be aware of this plan during the audition phase.

OR

b) ...many members still owe dues, and I have to rely on collection of those dues to pay for the other 30%, I immediately shorten (or cancel) the tour. Again, everyone would be aware of this up-front.

Note: my reasoning for having dues paid in full by tour or you do not go is that there have been way too many members of various corps who still owe dues by tour time, are then allowed to go on tour, then stiff a corps by not finishing their payments. (and what real incentive do they have to complete their payments because they already have the reward of touring/performing at half-price!)

Edited by Stu

To throw a different wrinkle into this discussion......

Many private schools no longer deal with tuition collections and parents must make a loan from the neighborhood namd which works the loan program for the parents. The parents get their 10 momnthly payment loan book and the school receives it's money at the start of the year, january , and usually April or May.

If we really are calling this tuition, then that alone could be paid through on bank loan program and get the tax breaks along with education. Travel / food / uniforms could be on a seperate loan if needed

If parents don't want to go that route they can either pay 100% in August or 60% august and 50% in January.

The weekly crisis at school regarding money is all but gone.

Plus we have several accounts at the vank for dealing with different groups

General fund

Building fund

Athletics

Band

Cafateria service

Alumni

We sure have seen many positive things from this. Are some corps using a system like this ?