The acoustics at Lucas Oil seem...better

In 2009 and 2011 I sat in the same section at finals, a dozen or so rows up right near the 50. From what I can tell, the acoustics overall were MUCH improved this year from the first year. Am I just being optimistic, or did DCI take measures to make this happen?

• Like 1

Well they had the big black curtain in the backfield, which I think they had last year, but I think they also had some curtains on the sides of the field too, if I am not mistaken.

In 2009 and 2011 I sat in the same section at finals, a dozen or so rows up right near the 50. From what I can tell, the acoustics overall were MUCH improved this year from the first year. Am I just being optimistic, or did DCI take measures to make this happen?

I don't think you're mistaken. It did seem like there was more curtain coverage this year. Also, I suspect the corps are figuring out how to play in an enclosed environment, and that is noted in the scoring of the winds and percussion. So, your observation is a keen one and your ears are not playing tricks on you, IMHO.

• Like 1

Just posted this in another dome related topic but its related to your topic as well:

Having seen all 3 dome shows this year (San Antonio, Atlanta and Indy) I gotta say I was really pleased with the accostics in Indy. Yeah there was the reverb after notes were released, but the drums were much clearer in Indy than in San Antonio (bad) and Atlanta (awful). I sat in roughly the same area in all three stadiums (between the 45s, about 23 rows up). Perhaps in the upper and outer sections the sound may not have been that good.

More bodies in the seats were likely the biggest factor!!

This. The acoustics were absolutely worse earlier on Thursday and Friday, before the stands started filling...between 5 and 6 pm IIRC. It did seem like there were more curtains on the sides, in front of the windows.

The last 2 years I have been in drastically different locations. Last year inside the 40, 3 rows from the top of the lower section and this year in section 444 (Loge level, goal line), 3 rows from the bottom. Last year's seats were fine, but in this year's seats, the drums heavily outweighed the brass and the pit sound was eaten up almost entirely. In fact, until you got to about the Top 6 or so (Bluecoats on up), you couldn't get any kind of definition whatsoever. I attribute that to cleaner, more in tune hornlines...but wow, it was bad. Very, very bad.

That leads me to the conclusion that it can sound "ok" dead-on, but outside of that, it's hardly worth the $75 per, IMO.

Agree with this ... huge difference between Prelims and Finals ...

I don't remember curtains covering the north window section ... I think that was new this year ...

Accoustics from 140 on the 49 yard line about 14 rows back were simply spectacular with very very little echo. Was very worried having read post over past couple of years on here how bad LOS was.

Indy as an overall venue - it was by far my best finals week as a whole

If you don't spend the big bucks and get within the 40's you are screwed IMO. I know weather is a huge factor but I hope one day they go back to outdoor stadiums for Finals (unlikely, I know).

• Like 1