Madison

Can we find out who is making the syncing decision about ESOM and perhaps start an e-mail campaign to try and convince them to give the rights to DCI?

Can we find out who is making the syncing decision about ESOM and perhaps start an e-mail campaign to try and convince them to give the rights to DCI?

My most recent understanding was that the status of this issue had recently moved from "maybe" to "no". The contacts have been listed on the forum several times this year, so I'd have my doubts as to the effectiveness of any contacts. (It's a whole long list of people and corporations...it only takes one "no". If who the "no" is is public knowledge, I've not seen it.)

There's also the issue that peeving someone after "no" may lead to less compliance in the future.

(copy of my other post)

######. This is a tragedy. I know some say we should be happy to have witnessed it at finals, but part of my drum corps experience includes going back and reliving those wonderful, powerful moments from years past. It's why I buy the CDs and DVDs.

Madison's show is just NOT COMPLETE without the ESOM closer and I"m sure - SURE - I will not listen to, or watch, this show without the audio. Experiencing that show without ESOM is not reliving a great experience at all.

Further, I just now went to YT and listened to the Alicia Keys version and - IS IT ME? - or does it sound nothing like what Madison put on the field? Could I be listening to the wrong version? I listened to both the Jay and Alicia version. They sound nothing like what Madison put on the field and I'm shocked that there is even a licensing issue that is involved here.

Why, again, would a letter-writing campaign NOT be worth it? If DCI holds it's ground and loses we forever miss a show. Maybe DCI needs to pony up a little more for this one, eh?

Yeah, kind of like a 'G-7' argument all on it's own, don't you say?

Edited by Toby

(copy of my other post)

######. This is a tragedy. I know some say we should be happy to have witnessed it at finals, but part of my drum corps experience includes going back and reliving those wonderful, powerful moments from years past. It's why I buy the CDs and DVDs.

Madison's show is just NOT COMPLETE without the ESOM closer and I"m sure - SURE - I will not listen to, or watch, this show without the audio. Experiencing that show without ESOM is not reliving a great experience at all.

Further, I just now went to YT and listened to the Alicia Keys version and - IS IT ME? - or does it sound nothing like what Madison put on the field? Could I be listening to the wrong version? I listened to both the Jay and Alicia version. They sound nothing like what Madison put on the field and I'm shocked that there is even a licensing issue that is involved here.

Why, again, would a letter-writing campaign NOT be worth it? If DCI holds it's ground and loses we forever miss a show. Maybe DCI needs to pony up a little more for this one, eh?

Yeah, kind of like a 'G-7' argument all on it's own, don't you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kjmIXr6MoI dont know if you can do that but there is the version that I think Madison used. IMHO one of the most powerful (musically and emotionally) moments in this era of DCI especially for the people who were near the NYC area on that day.

Edited by Toby

Why would any corps go into the season without having been granted the permissions needed for their entire show?

This seems like an affront by the music company, but the onus is on the corps admin to play by copyright rules.

I don't know what the thought process was for Madison on not having everything secured at the beginning, but maybe they thought if they could prove that the arrangement was good and that fans were fawning over the show that they'd deserve the recording rights.

If you're Madison, do you change the closer to something you don't like as much to ensure that it is available for audio and video products after the season? Or do you keep the idea you had, perform it for fans all summer long who respond well to it, and create somewhat of a legend ("did you hear Madison's closer live in 2011?"). Because apparently it'd have to be one or the other, given the copyright issues. If Madison's choice was the latter, I can't say that I blame them too much.

• Like 1

Why would any corps go into the season without having been granted the permissions needed for their entire show?

This seems like an affront by the music company, but the onus is on the corps admin to play by copyright rules.

All we can do is go by what Chris Komnick posted in the Madison thread. If you look at the list of writers and publishers, it is quite extensive (yet, interestingly enough, four of the five publishing contacts all go back to the same company: EMI). I do not envy anyone having to go through this long, drawn-out process, as it is becoming increasingly complex. I suspect that's why more and more corps are going the route of having original music composed for them, so as to get all of the rights bundled up all at the same time and avoid all this jumping through countless hoops (some unforeseen until you encounter them).

To quote Chris:

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:35 AM (#1190) ckomnick

At this point in time, the synchronization rights to "Empire State of Mind" have not been secured. The Madison Scouts have secured the ability to arrange and perform the piece, but the sale of synchronized video content has not yet been granted and DCI has appropriately decided to mute the replay content on the Fan Network to avoid any possible infringement at this time. This does not affect the broadcasts of live performances, only the replay of them.

We have been furiously trying to resolve this issue for over 7 months. Due to the popularity of the piece and the numerous artists involved in its creation, it has proven to be vary challenging. Let's just say that drum corps licensing is not a high priority for the agencies involved with a pop tune like ESOM.

We are continuing to aggressively secure a license and we appreciate your patience as we work through these matters.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

Edited by byline

The problem lies with the differences in mechanical, synchronization (Sync), and performance licenses...

External article link