Madison

I haven't seen it referenced here, but don't think for a second that one marching music "segment" ignoring IP rights doesn't hamper cooperation from owners towards other segments. (I have seen a few areas where MB/DC are just flatly refused regardless the request.)

We're all in this together.

I think if we're going to be fair Madison is to blame for choosing to program, and then performing a piece that they failed to get sync rights to, thus denying fans the opportunity for having their complete show on the DVD's/Blu-rays/Fan Network video archives.

This isn't being fair in any way at all... since there's no requirement for Madison to secure sync rights. I know you seem to be vehemently against Madison in this discussion, but they appear to have done everything they could have short of reprogramming their show - and having seen them 8-10 times in person this summer, including all three nights of Championships, I'm darn glad they didn't change a thing.

It's too bad that there doesn't appear to be a solution... but that doesn't make Madison at fault for having an awesome show.

• Like 1

This isn't being fair in any way at all... since there's no requirement for Madison to secure sync rights. I know you seem to be vehemently against Madison in this discussion, but they appear to have done everything they could have short of reprogramming their show - and having seen them 8-10 times in person this summer, including all three nights of Championships, I'm darn glad they didn't change a thing.

It's too bad that there doesn't appear to be a solution... but that doesn't make Madison at fault for having an awesome show.

Really?

sigh...

This isn't being fair in any way at all... since there's no requirement for Madison to secure sync rights.

So by your argument, no corps in DCI is required to secure sync rights, and therefor we can disregard DVD/Blu-ray production + stop bothering to archive the video streams on Fan Network. That makes no sense.

And again, Madison was the ONLY corps in DCI in 2011 to have this issue: everyone else had no problems securing ALL necessary rights to arrange, perform, and sync to DVD's but Scouts.

It is too bad; their show was awesome, and it's a shame that seeing it illegally broadcast on Youtube is the only option to watch the closer again. Madison isn't at fault for having an awesome show. I'm more playing devil's advocate and stating the other side of the "it sucks for the record label fat cats who won't grant Madison permission to use their music on the DVD's" by pointing out that Madison share at least partial blame for going full steam ahead by programming a chart that would likely prove difficult (at best) to secure all rights to.

And FWIW this year's Madison show was (IMO) by far one of their best programmed show post-Scott Stewart. The Carmen show was better designed/performed, but 2011 is a close second (design wise).

Seems like there would be a tech way around this to allow self synch….release the DVD with the image and coded synch track then a download link for the audio and join them again in garage band as an avi file or something

Or would that be against the spirit of the law

Seems like there would be a tech way around this to allow self synch….release the DVD with the image and coded synch track then a download link for the audio and join them again in garage band as an avi file or something

Or would that be against the spirit of the law

A coded silent sync track (like a silent pulse) might be technically possible. However, all this would accomplish would be to create a way to encourage 'the customer' to break the law (sort of like a Head Shop that sells bongs does not technically break the law, but everyone knows they are actually encouraging 'the customer' to break the law).

A coded silent sync track (like a silent pulse) might be technically possible. However, all this would accomplish would be to create a way to encourage 'the customer' to break the law (sort of like a Head Shop that sells bongs does not technically break the law, but everyone knows they are actually encouraging 'the customer' to break the law).

I agree; I think Madison and DCI have gotten as audience-friendly as they morally can in this case. They're releasing video w/out audio on Fan Network and audio w/out video on the DVD's/Blu-rays. Anything else could be misconstrued as shady, and I wouldn't want to damage whatever relationship DCI and the non-profit marching arts industry already has.

So by your argument, no corps in DCI is required to secure sync rights...

This is correct. Corps are not required to secure the synch rights/license. All synch rights/licenses are the responsibility of DCI. Corps are only required to secure permission to arrange and perform - which Madison did.

In BOA, bands are only required to secure permission to arrange and perform, and BOA is responsible for securing the synch rights.

In WGI, individual drumlines and color guards do not secure synch/license rights. That is the responsibility of WGI.

This is correct. Corps are not required to secure the synch rights/license. All synch rights/licenses are the responsibility of DCI. Corps are only required to secure permission to arrange and perform - which Madison did.

Again, who is DCI? They are not an independent organization; but, rather a representation of the corps themselves. Suggesting independent corps just blow off any responsibility in this matter so the collective that is DCI gets stuck holding the bag when rights are refused is IMO negligent.

Start fining corps when, perhaps at the time of DVD production, the synch rights are not able to be obtained.

I think that blaming Madison is irrelevant at this juncture, we just need a solution going forward that strongly encourages obtaining all the rights needed including synch rights.

The slippery slope of not taking action could, in the future, lead to an entire corps performance not being able to be viewed on the DVD.