What 2011 corps melodies keep running through your head?

I am a little surprised that not one person mentioned Nature Boy. Even though I admit to being a Cavalier FMM, that is not the reason for my choice. I have always been in love with this enchanting melody and was elated when it was chosen this year. I thought the arrangement was haunting and beautiful and the power chord at the end was as powerful and moving as anything all night and has stuck with me even more than it had before.

• Like 2

The Cadets - To Tame The Perilous Skies....opps wrong year...still hear that music in my head along with Phantom of The Opera by Santa Clara Vanguard! :smile:

2011 Stuff...

Boston - Do You Hear the People Sing

Boston - Bring Him Home

Boston - 1812

Blue Knights - English Folk Song Suite

Carolina Crown - We Will Rock You

Cascades - My Immortal

Genesis - Send in the Clowns

Jersey Surf - Kiss From a Rose

Madison Scouts - Empire State of Mind

Oregon Crusaders - Moonlight Sonata

ESOM from Madison - over and over. Big surprise, huh? :thumbup: Nothing else really compares from 2011.

Yea, Empire State of Mind takes it for me as well - BUT Phantom's Elsas Procession is a very close second!

• Like 1

Most of BD's show, but I don't recognize the music so I cant put a name on it :/ (Can anyone help with this? Like a list of songs in the order of the show so I can follow along on fan network)

Surf's preshow

Crown's opening hit and two pit features (Ironman and Paint it Black)

Cavalier's Nature Boy

Madison's whole show

Is it my imagination or did the arrangers across the entire board of drum corps go INSANE this year with great arrangements? There are always some great arrangements and good tunes, but this many in one season?

I just listened to "Creep" which I found out had words! Who knew? Go on That Un-named Video Channel and listen to Bluecoats sing "Creep" with the girl wiping away a tear at the end. Fantastic! Then I searched and found out Radiohead did the original song. YUCH!

How did Bluecoats turn a crappy song into sonic bliss? :blink:

Nature Boy, (check out Lizz Wright's treatment on youtube), Jungle Tango, and the one that really blew me away - Creep from Blooo.

In a quick look through these posts...GREAT topic by the way...there is definitely some "proof of concept" as they say in my professional world, that the idea of audience accessibility relating to music selection and show design worked very well. Other threads on DCP, over the summer, have had many discussions about everyones shows and their music selections; and likes or dislikes aside, this thread identified a lot of commonality in shows that people seem to like, as evideinced by the song worms in our heads. It seems that, at least to me, out of the top 12, Phantom is leading the way with Elsa and most of their show. Madison ESOM, BD's show and Garfield much of their show all seem to have had equal responses, maybe a scoonch ahead on Madison. Suprisingly the least mentioned music that is sticking in heads is Cavies and SCV's. Maybe not so surprisingly is SCV's. I think Spirit had more responses than SCV or Cavies. Anyway, good music is good music and to each his or her own. I am looking forward to more of this next season. Thanks to all corps who contributed to this years song worms.

Edited by 7567BC

Is it my imagination or did the arrangers across the entire board of drum corps go INSANE this year with great arrangements? There are always some great arrangements and good tunes, but this many in one season?

I just listened to "Creep" which I found out had words! Who knew? Go on That Un-named Video Channel and listen to Bluecoats sing "Creep" with the girl wiping away a tear at the end. Fantastic! Then I searched and found out Radiohead did the original song. YUCH!

How did Bluecoats turn a crappy song into sonic bliss? :blink:

I posted this a few weeks ago in another forum:

---------

Creep is one of my favorite tunes, and I think the piano intro Bluecoats are using comes from a version done by Vega Choir from Sweden. I have the original and this version on my ipod. I first heard the choir version on the early trailers for the movie "The Social Network". It sounds like the whole arrangement the Bluecoats are using is based on this version.

---------

I'll add that the Bluecoats made a wise choice to stick to the choir's version, including the different rythms. It works better for an instrumental. I also like how they added the percussion hits near the end to mimic the guitar in the original piece. Very nicely done.

Edited by Shamu89