What 2011 corps melodies keep running through your head?

In a quick look through these posts...GREAT topic by the way...there is definitely some "proof of concept" as they say in my professional world, that the idea of audience accessibility relating to music selection and show design worked very well. Other threads on DCP, over the summer, have had many discussions about everyones shows and their music selections; and likes or dislikes aside, this thread identified a lot of commonality in shows that people seem to like, as evideinced by the song worms in our heads. It seems that, at least to me, out of the top 12, Phantom is leading the way with Elsa and most of their show. Madison ESOM, BD's show and Garfield much of their show all seem to have had equal responses, maybe a scoonch ahead on Madison. Suprisingly the least mentioned music that is sticking in heads is Cavies and SCV's. Maybe not so surprisingly is SCV's. I think Spirit had more responses than SCV or Cavies. Anyway, good music is good music and to each his or her own. I am looking forward to more of this next season. Thanks to all corps who contributed to this years song worms.

I have to amend this post sort of. Clearly the most mentioned corps/music is Phantom (Elsa & East of Eden). Madison (ESOM) and Crown are about tied for second most, followed by BD. Then Cavies, then Boston; then Spirit, BK & Bluecoats - about tied. Following that trio is SCV, Crossmen, and Academy.

SCV's ballad "The Eternal Knot". It was my favorite emotional moment of the whole season. That hook combined with the staging of the guard and marching member will haunt me for a long time.

"East of Eden" is a close second.

I agree with SCV's ballad....my god what a beautiful drum corps moment. I think that this, partnered with the dancing brass member may be my favorite of the season. While I may have not felt this way about the entire show, i could (and have) listened/watched this section over and over again.

Say a Little Prayer... I must have rebound that 10x this morning in the car. Love it!

ESOM, and Requiem (Suncoast love!)

Cadets' opener.

Great year for music!

I'll add that the Bluecoats made a wise choice to stick to the choir's version, including the different rythms. It works better for an instrumental. I also like how they added the percussion hits near the end to mimic the guitar in the original piece. Very nicely done.

Thanks Shamu. I liked that version better than RH, just as you suggested. But why can't they lose the "F" word and just sing "very special?" Oh well...

+++

Where is the source for East of Eden? I've listed so several South Korean versions, the James Dean movie and a couple of cartoons, but I haven't been able to find the inspirational source.

Mostly Madison's Empire State of Mind and the Le Mis sections from Boston. ALso, Spirit's Harlem Nocturne, and pretty much all of BKs show.

Thanks Shamu. I liked that version better than RH, just as you suggested. But why can't they lose the "F" word and just sing "very special?" Oh well...

+++

Where is the source for East of Eden? I've listed so several South Korean versions, the James Dean movie and a couple of cartoons, but I haven't been able to find the inspirational source.

That's exactly what is done on RH's radio edit of the song.

http://www.amazon.com/Holdridge-Jonathan-Livingston-Hemingway-Beastmaster/dp/B000HGF5GG

http://www.amazon.com/East-Eden-Picture-Television-Holdridge/dp/B000003JVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1219883318&sr=1-1

Also, search iTunes, I know I saw it on there. You're looking for "Main Title" from EoE for Phantom's intro.

Mike

Creep is one of my favorite tunes, and I think the piano intro Bluecoats are using comes from a version done by Vega Choir from Sweden. I have the original and this version on my ipod. I first heard the choir version on the early trailers for the movie "The Social Network". It sounds like the whole arrangement the Bluecoats are using is based on this version.

The Social Network trailer (and presumably Bluecoats) actually used

by Scala & Kolacny Bros. choir from Belgium. Some of their interpretations of other pieces is *very* interesting as well.

As for the f-bomb, I think part of what makes this so #### creepy is that usage -- those innocent voices singing that lyric is really jarring.

Wonder what Bluecoats would have done if they had not been so bound up by "conventional drum corps sensibilities". Obviously they were required to be so bound (and quite rightly given the breadth of the drum corps audiences) but it's fun to wonder "what if...".

Anyway Creep is one my favorite drum corps pieces (audio and visual) from 2011. They *really* hit the mark with it.

Edited by corpsband

For reasons I can't explain, it's Blue Devils' "One Less Bell to Answer." It just won't leave my consciousness.

To a lesser degree, it's Phantom Regiment's "East of Eden," especially when it shows up inside the latter pieces.

What are yours this year?

Is there any correct answer OTHER THAN "Empire State of Mind?"

The Glassmen opening number , very powerful and in your face ! also Bohemian Rapsody from Queen and Carolina Crown !! WOW :worthy: