Baritones vs. Euphoniums

From a sound blending standpoint, mixing is the way to go. Upper parts on Bari, lower parts on Euph.

16 on Baris and 8 on Euph is a good standard to use. You still have the "projection" of the baris and then you have the darkness of the euphs and it creates a much darker horn line also. This setup works GREAT with Yamaha horns. And putting strong players on the Euph part will help immensely. Don't stack too many people on the lead part. 6(firsts) 10(seconds) 8(euphs) is a safe setup I'd say. 8,8,8, works also. But don't forget your leads won't have a problem projecting if things are scored correctly.

Kings- I don't know about the new line... but from what I know from playing them is that the baris suck, and their euphoniums actually project well in all ranges while maintaining a darker sound. Remember when Phantom was on King? The sound out of that line was ridiculous. And the horn line had a different feel to it. They haven't had that feel since 08... last year they used kings.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

16 on Baris and 8 on Euph is a good standard to use. You still have the "projection" of the baris and then you have the darkness of the euphs and it creates a much darker horn line also. This setup works GREAT with Yamaha horns. And putting strong players on the Euph part will help immensely. Don't stack too many people on the lead part. 6(firsts) 10(seconds) 8(euphs) is a safe setup I'd say. 8,8,8, works also. But don't forget your leads won't have a problem projecting if things are scored correctly.

Kings- I don't know about the new line... but from what I know from playing them is that the baris suck, and their euphoniums actually project well in all ranges while maintaining a darker sound. Remember when Phantom was on King? The sound out of that line was ridiculous. And the horn line had a different feel to it. They haven't had that feel since 08... last year they used kings.

Funny. I felt them this year. And judging by the crowd reaction at the shows that I saw them at, I wasn't the only one.

• Like 1

Completely agree. The only problem is those King Euphs are the hardest instruments being marched on the field, I would say even harder than any contra. They also may be the best sounding instrument on the field at the same time. This should be more of a heated debate as the way low brass is going in DCI is not a good direction, what with a synth NEEDING to cover half of the parts at big hits.

Completely agree. The only problem is those King Euphs are the hardest instruments being marched on the field, I would say even harder than any contra. They also may be the best sounding instrument on the field at the same time. This should be more of a heated debate as the way low brass is going in DCI is not a good direction, what with a synth NEEDING to cover half of the parts at big hits.

Don't get me started. I've been holding back on my rant for a while now. When I get the CD's I'll probably go off.

I do agree with the fact that they are the hardest instruments out there to march.

Not only are they heavy as balls, they're fairly awkward in your hands too. Horn snaps are dam near ridiculous.

Yup. I wonder if they can remodel it to be a little easier to hold and not lose it's musical qualities. I'm guessing it would be pretty hard. What contribute to the King Euph playing better than the Yamaha Euph is probably the more compact design of the Yamaha. The Kings are just so much more free. In fact... I pretty much hated playing the yamaha... but it still sounds good in an ensemble. And I didn't have to struggle as much through spring training.

I love picking up a baritone though after holding a euph all day... the baritone feels like a #### trumpet. And I LOVED the day the trumpets had to hold euphs for a while.

Yup. I wonder if they can remodel it to be a little easier to hold and not lose it's musical qualities. I'm guessing it would be pretty hard.

Ask the Blue Devils. They did that, they took the King's, and shortened them a bit down to create hybrid horns. Seems to have worked pretty well.... :ph34r:

The standard for blend we used at Star of Indiana was 8 leads split into upper and lower part, 2nd and third parts were covered by Euphoniums. I like to think that we put some really nice baritone sections together.

As far as what we marched, it was the King. I loved that horn. It played great! My only complaint (Besides the weight) ((It sucked to carry)) was the valves were so big that they had terrible response in technical sections of the music. They were slowwwwwwwwww! I marched one for 4 seasons and would love to get my hands on an old King G Euphonium.

I loved playing the Yamaha euphonium, but the valves weren't the best. If you didn't move perfectly up and down with the valves, they had a tendency to stick pretty quickly.

I think the King play the best, but they are awkward to carry with their construction.

I found the Jupiter horn to be the best balanced, I can balance it on the top of my hand, and it won't tip either direction, so that's good.

And the Dynasty horns.... the less said the better. They're liable to break in a strong wind, and horrible playing tendencies. Does any corps march them anymore? Maybe PC or Glassmen?

My favorites-

Yamaha

King

Jupiter

Dynasty