2011 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Preliminary Competition

Did I say I hate it? Au contraire...I believe I said that I hope this evening is "GAME ON"!

U sort of implied that because Bucs did not come in with a top seeded score based on the fact they were without a score last weekend that They were at some sort of disadvantage or had been slotted by it.

U sort of implied that because Bucs did not come in with a top seeded score based on the fact they were without a score last weekend that They were at some sort of disadvantage or had been slotted by it.

No, I said it MAY have prevented them from the top seed. It MAY not have as well, but it would be a shame to have 2 fine corps, ready to go this evening in what should finally be a contest for the championship, only to have weather deny them the chance. And I do happen to feel strongly that Bucs would have very likely scored the top seed in prelims with a score in the 95's if Hurricane Irene had not rained out their home show. But then again...maybe not. Either way, if MBI were to win it, they would win it deservedly so, no asterisk necessary and no sarcasm intended. Now let me go 'cause I am eating crow for breakfast this morning!

Edited by VOReason

While looking at the radar, it looks like it should be clear through the evening.

So I caught 80% of the corps yesterday but eventually succumbed to sleep as I was watching the live stream in Germany and it got to be too late. I went back today and watched the corps I missed. (Thanks Fan Network for allowing replays!! Great feature). I'd like to throw in my two cents regarding the Buccaneers vs MBI discussion. Either way, today is sure to be a great show and I'm sorry that I am going to miss it. Let me caveat this by saying that I am pretty new to DCA (but not drum corps) and don't currently have a dog in this fight, though I may march with the Bucs in the future. Also... I can only really comment on overall effect and brass since my guard and drum line expertise is limited. These are just my opinions and I realize that others may see things differently. I don't have any beef with it.

Overall Impressions

First, these are two very different shows which makes it more difficult to compare them. I do not envy the judges. MBI's show was more entertaining hands down. It was easier to catch the themes and follow them throughout the show. So, it had that fun factor that engages the crowd better. The Bucs show was also entertaining but may not be as approachable for your average fan. Both corps are very high-caliber and I think would feel right at home in DCI world class competition. (Shh! Don't tell). They certainly are in a league of their own as far as DCA competition is concerned. It seemed that the Buc's show was more difficult at least in the nexus of complexity of music vs. complexity of drill. However, MBI executed better. (See "Brass" below). Random thought: MBI's pit was noticeably tighter and its book was better arranged.

I didn't notice an appreciable difference in the crowd's reaction to both performances. but that is purely based on what I could hear through the broadcast. There may have been a different energy in person. There were a few mildly inappropriate comments yelled during the MBI performance to the effect of "Time to take #1", "The champions are coming from the Midwest", etc. While this is nowhere near as bad as yelling derogatory things during another corps performance, it would be somewhat akin to a Bucs fan yelling "Fend off the Minnesota hoard!" in the middle of a Bucs performance. Again, I don't feel any affinity for either corps so this is just my observation and opinion. While it is fairly apparent that there is a common desire within the DCA world for a new champion, it shouldn't come at the expense of good sportsmanship on either side. I have seen on these boards derogatory comments from probable Bucs fans as well which are uncalled for. Let the judges do their job, come what may. In the end, it's about having fun and putting on an amazing show. *Steps down from soap box.

Brass

I promise to keep the rest short. Bucs high brass was lacking, plain and simple, especially in the soprano section. There were exposed melodic lines that the section just didn't nail. This may be somewhat a result of the complexity of drill, dancing, etc. but it doesn't really matter. How do fancy moves benefit the performance if they come at the expense of the music? Contrast that to MBI's screaming trumpets. Confidence and nailed it. However, there were balance issues. Just because you can take it up 2 octaves doesn't mean that you always have to or that you have the liberty to drown out the other sections and hold over every release. Balance goes to Reading. Technical execution to MBI. I felt like the other brass sections were comparable.

Finals and What Now?

You can't do anything about design at this point. It's going to be close and, as far as the horns are concerned, totally depends on who steps up to the plate.

I'd be interested in informed opinions re: the guard and battery from anyone who feels like obliging.

Bryan

Edited by bryan2449

So, I'm a little late posting this but I haven't heard anywhere what happened to Arkansas Thunder. I know they were having some problems getting their show out but the last I heard on their Facebook page was that they were going to Rochester. Just hoping that they didn't run into problems on the road. Anyone hear anything?

WTG Kilties WWBD

So, I'm a little late posting this but I haven't heard anywhere what happened to Arkansas Thunder. I know they were having some problems getting their show out but the last I heard on their Facebook page was that they were going to Rochester. Just hoping that they didn't run into problems on the road. Anyone hear anything?

WTG Kilties WWBD

From what I hear it's been a cluster muck once the new director and staff took over.