What if bad weather cancels Finals?

DCI has not cancelled a single show due to the presence of electronics. Stop perpetuating this ridiculous myth.

I'm sure that electronics was never a contributing factor.

Sarcasm off.

• Like 1

I'm sure that electronics was never a contributing factor.

Sarcasm off.

If you knew even one single thing about sound equipment you'd never post such drivel. In the real world, electronics and amplification equipment is perfectly safe in rain and rainy conditions. The problem is standing water. That's where the danger lies, specifically cables laid through standing water (not necessarily shallow puddles either). Then again, what do I know? I'm just a trained sound tech.

DCI cancels, delays, or adjusts shows based on the safety of the performers and audience. For the former, it means field conditions. Here's a little known fact for you...some types of artificial turf are actually slicker when wet then they are when dry, making it dangerous for the performers. Just because it's "turf" doesn't mean it's safe to use during a downpour.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

If you knew even one single thing about sound equipment you'd never post such drivel. In the real world, electronics and amplification equipment is perfectly safe in rain and rainy conditions. The problem is standing water. That's where the danger lies, specifically cables laid through standing water (not necessarily shallow puddles either). Then again, what do I know? I'm just a trained sound tech.

DCI cancels, delays, or adjusts shows based on the safety of the performers and audience. For the former, it means field conditions. Here's a little known fact for you...some types of artificial turf are actually slicker when wet then they are when dry, making it dangerous for the performers. Just because it's "turf" doesn't mean it's safe to use during a downpour.

I wonder if anyone (with tons of free time on their hands) has ever analyzed the number of shows canceled on average in years prior to electronics, and after.

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone (with tons of free time on their hands) has ever analyzed the number of shows canceled on average in years prior to electronics, and after.

No. But I have stood and performed in some heck of monsoon conditions that never got rained out.

• Like 1

But then...........if it were just Drums and Bugles....

• Like 2

Here's what they would have done. They would have replayed prelims on the jumbotron and had the judges rejudge Saturdays' performances. :tongue:

I keed, I keed.