2011 Drum Corps Associates Alumni Spectacular

kevingamin

By the way, there was just a ceremony where a representative from the Cavaliers just gave an authentic 1957 Cavaliers snare drum, complete with the original plastic head, to the Reilly Raiders. Cavies were the first to play on plastic heads and, after performing at VFW Nationals in Miami, loaned their snares to Reilly for THEIR performance. Since it was raining, the Raiders were the only corps as a result who did not lose tension in their drum heads as the rest of the corps were still on calf skin heads.

Later that night, as the announcer put it, the Cavaliers and another corps (those of you who know the history know who I'm taking about) got into a "discussion". Reilly saw this "discussion" and chose to "join" it on behalf of the Cavaliers. That friendship has lasted since then.

If you want to know more about this story, be sure to read Building the Green Machine by Colt Foutz. It's told much better than I could tell it.

Kevin - Thanks for the great work - it's convinced me to get in the car and drive to see finals! I was on that field during Ernesto - any drizzle is nothing after that!

Looking forward to having you here!

First piece performed is an Armed Services medley. Horn line sounds great! You can tell this group wants to pay proper tribute to our veterans.

radar looking better and better for tonight... all rain over the lake... one small thunderstorm near Jamestown... 150 miles away... should go west of us...

tonight is NOT to be missed...

Chris Castleton arranged the medley. Chris is a member of Prime Time Brass and an Empire Statesmen alumni.

Attractive? red hair? cigars? really?

Ok, I'll go with the Guess Who bit.

We've only met once, outside the NOW Raddison, so my memorey may not be that good so let's got with: HOT (vs attractive) Personable (vs red hair....) Likes a smoke once in a while (vs cigars) How'my doin'...? LOL. You're a HOOT Nanci. Cya.

Edited by melligene

Chris is fantastic... for the record it's Castellon... I think I like your phonetic spelling better :-)

radar looking better and better for tonight... all rain over the lake... one small thunderstorm near Jamestown... 150 miles away... should go west of us...

tonight is NOT to be missed...

I guess you have all convinced me - hope there's still a good ticket left that's not in the end zone! :) See you there Tom.

Edited by CadetMelloMomMMXI

This is very cool. They're going to start an echo Taps on the 50 yard line. Each echo player will be further out of the stadium and will start the path of the echo out towards Annapolis. Next year, they will have echo Taps players play from the direction of Rochester into the stadium. Think of it as similar to the Olympic torch beared from one place to the next.

Jeff Gibbens, Erie Thunderbirds arranger, Empire Statesmen alumni, and Buglers Hall of Fame member, is the lead Taps player.

will someone place a call to Port St. Lucie and tell Ron Melligene is hittin' on his woman!