DCA is competitive again.

"A Failure to Communicate":

I can't speak for DCA Finals week, but "Way Back" at the Bridgeport Barnum the fourth and third place finishers (Hawthorne & Empire) got spontaneous "Stand up and cheer" standing "O"s while the eventual contest winning Buccaneers recieved a somewhat subduded "Courtesy C;lap", and walked off with the "High Communication" caption.

I was rolling MY eyes also....

Elphaba

if you judge communication merely by standing Os that will vary from show to show and has little or nothing to do with communicationor at very least whos the better group. there's much more to communicationg a show than just....lets say a long extended note that some feel is the best thing since sliced bread......

if you judge communication merely by standing Os that will vary from show to show and has little or nothing to do with communicationor at very least whos the better group. there's much more to communicationg a show than just....lets say a long extended note that some feel is the best thing since sliced bread......

"Failure to Communicate Part Deux":

I believe as long as you "Communicate" to the JUDGES you'll do OK.....

Elphaba

I think you (as well as a few judges) may be misinterpretting what that caption is for. Long, powerful notes aside, who's the better group should have NOTHING to do with the caption. Should it be an "applause-o-meter"? Maybe not in so many words but if corps A is technically less proficient (not as "good") as corps B, yet corps A is able to get the audience engaged by (for example) inspiring a roar of applause or a standing O at the moment(s) in the show where the designers intended that to happen, but corps B's performance failed to elicit a response as strong as corps A, or they the "big moments" in the show don't create the intended response then (in my opinion) corps A should receive a higher communication score, regardless of excellence. For the record, dead silence can indeed be an intended response so that would most certianly qualify as communication if it was appropriate.

But that's just my take on it.

• Like 1

I think you (as well as a few judges) may be misinterpretting what that caption is for. Long, powerful notes aside, who's the better group should have NOTHING to do with the caption. Should it be an "applause-o-meter"? Maybe not in so many words but if corps A is technically less proficient (not as "good") as corps B, yet corps A is able to get the audience engaged by (for example) inspiring a roar of applause or a standing O at the moment(s) in the show where the designers intended that to happen, but corps B's performance failed to elicit a response as strong as corps A, or they the "big moments" in the show don't create the intended response then (in my opinion) corps A should receive a higher communication score, regardless of excellence. For the record, dead silence can indeed be an intended response so that would most certianly qualify as communication if it was

appropriate.

But that's just my take on it.

Agreed, to a degree. I don't think the communication caption placements DIDN'T parallel the overall placements at a single show this year. Why not just put those 10 points into the effect caption if they are going to echo those scores anyway.

I think this communication caption needs to be defined better, not so much for the judges, but for the audience. I know it's not an applause meter, but I was under the impression this caption was to award a corps that comes on the field that evening and really throws down a great, entertaining show that fans appreciate. I know at a few shows I attended this year, the corps that got the highest score in this caption one night was a corps that came out and had a flat show with low energy and little emotion. As a result, the crowd did not seem "engaged" in the performance.

Why design a caption to score how a corps communicates with the adjudication panel for the evening? Isn't that what the other 90% of the sheet is for?

Edited by irishbugle

Why design a caption to score how a corps communicates with the adjudication panel for the evening? Isn't that what the other 90% of the sheet is for?

That's the problem, the judges are analyzing it from an adjudicator's standpoint. In theory it should be a simple question. Did the crowd buy what they were selling? Looking back, it may be a harder caption to judge than originally thought because the communication numbers baffled me in large part all season.

That's the problem, the judges are analyzing it from an adjudicator's standpoint. In theory it should be a simple question. Did the crowd buy what they were selling? Looking back, it may be a harder caption to judge than originally thought because the communication numbers baffled me in large part all season.

no...that can change week to week.my home show or someones could evoke more noise...does that mean i communicated more hell no.theres way more to it than that..and define communication..it could be subtle and quiet depending on the show.. it can mean alot of things..hit you over the heard...throwing babies....( man I hate that saying ) blow your face off ( worse) doesnt mean everything.... you can also communicate in a not so good way

I do agree it doesnt warrent its own sheet and should be inherent amoung all other captions

Edited by GUARDLING

no...that can change week to week.my home show or someones could evoke more noise...does that mean i communicated more hell no.theres way more to it than that..and define communication..it could be subtle and quiet depending on the show.. it can mean alot of things..hit you over the heard...throwing babies....( man I hate that saying ) blow your face off ( worse) doesnt mean everything.... you can also communicate in a not so good way

I do agree it doesnt warrent its own sheet and should be inherent amoung all other captions

good points. home shows will affect how much noise a crowd makes.I've yet to see a really good explanation of what the new sheets look for.

good points. home shows will affect how much noise a crowd makes.I've yet to see a really good explanation of what the new sheets look for.

probably never will......its so subjective just like GE captions...and just as its explained it gets changed up.......what makes it hard is INTERPERTATION....thats a whole other issue.

Half the finalists in open call are outside the northeast "heart" of DCA. That has to count for something.

Nothing has changed from last year in this regard. The "balance of power" based upon the number of voting members in the regions has not changed. The Govenaires won the vote vacated by the Kilties and Fusion Core now owns the vote formerly held by the Bushwackers.

The addition of a southern corps (and, in this case, a new corps) in finals does not automatically give them a vote. Per the changes approved last December at the DCA Rules Congress, DCA votes go to the ten highest scoring North American corps, based upon prelims - not necessarily the top ten open class finalists.

This is the first year that any class A corps has received a vote, let alone two of them. Thus, the 9th and 10th place open class finalists don't get a vote as they were outscored by the top two class A corps. I expect many will be confused on this point.

POST THOUGHTUS

In thinking about this about an hour after I posted it, I'm not sure if this was actually approved at the Rules Congress or if, instead, everyone suddenly came to that realization!

Edited by K2SMA