Hurricanes Color Guard

Having the pleasure of working with the Hurricanes for the last few weeks has given me the opportunity to see one of the finest color guards in the HISTORY of DCA.

Personally, I find it difficult to believe that there was anyone that would stop the undefeated season, but alas, they still should be proud of their performances throughout the season. One show score should not diminish your accomplishments. Also, Ritchie Tardy and the gang were again great in the Honor Guard as well.

Congrats to Minnsota Brass, and The Empire Statesmen. You beat some worthy competitors!

Donny

My personal thoughts:

Colorguard scores were all over the map for finals. Complete flip flop in subcaption scores from prelims and everyother show from the month of August.

I just dont see how Hurricanes and Govenaires didn't win colorguard. I usually can find reason in the judges decision, but I don't think I will find reason with this.

I DECLARE HURRICANES AND GOVENAIRES THE UNOFFICIAL HIGH COLORGUARD CHAMPIONS FOR DCA 2011!!!!

Edited by Danielle
personal attack removed
  • Like 2

My personal thoughts:

Colorguard scores were all over the map for finals. Complete flip flop in subcaption scores from prelims and everyother show from the month of August.

I just dont see how Hurricanes and Govenaires didn't win colorguard. I usually can find reason in the judges decision, but I don't think I will find reason with this.

I DECLARE HURRICANES AND GOVENAIRES THE UNOFFICIAL HIGH COLORGUARD CHAMPIONS FOR DCA 2011!!!!

their weapons seemed to be a bit sloopy in the past few weeks...flags spotless for sure BUT it is time for better and more informed guard judges and no i dont mean go back to the big wigs of the late 70s and early 80s...God NO :blink: new blood needed....i dont mean young or old...i just mean new....jmo

Edited by Danielle
edit - see org. post

please remember I am no longer with dca... speaking for myself... (a very old color guard judge)

I saw Hurcs guard early season and compared them to the finest ever seen in DCA..

Prelims I continued that opinion, but thought a bit surprised they hadn't risen to another level.

Finals? The very competent person on color guard got it right...

buy the video... it's there... not just the drops although there were way too many of those... but they had a tough night...

I've said this elsewhere... you guys sometime claim that the scores are "sent in" in advance - and then shoot the messenger when the "expected" group does not meet there own standards that night...

which is it? Judge what you perceived to be the probable outcome a few weeks ago or judge what's on the field that night?

can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

please remember I am no longer with dca... speaking for myself... (a very old color guard judge)

I saw Hurcs guard early season and compared them to the finest ever seen in DCA..

Prelims I continued that opinion, but thought a bit surprised they hadn't risen to another level.

Finals? The very competent person on color guard got it right...

buy the video... it's there... not just the drops although there were way too many of those... but they had a tough night...

I've said this elsewhere... you guys sometime claim that the scores are "sent in" in advance - and then shoot the messenger when the "expected" group does not meet there own standards that night...

which is it? Judge what you perceived to be the probable outcome a few weeks ago or judge what's on the field that night?

can't have it both ways.

drops in todays guard is inherent...people dont get that...its also not just about 1 thing its also about programming...Hurcs to me are always very safe...easy...whatever you want to call it BUT I will say always very right..fitting...musical.....integration...and yes communication...and being clean are a part.....so its more complicated than most think......its also not always about whos work is harder....as far as a judge getting it right or if they are competent or not is opinion..............Im sure the OP meant no real threat and is entitled to express his or her opinion.....just maybe a little tact would work :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

drops in todays guard is inherent...people dont get that...its also not just about 1 thing its also about programming...Hurcs to me are always very safe...easy...whatever you want to call it BUT I will say always very right..fitting...musical.....integration...and yes communication...and being clean are a part.....so its more complicated than most think

you quoted my post so I have to assume that you are talking to me...

can I ask since you are anonymous... how many color guard contests have you judged? I stopped counting at 245...

Oh and how many times have you judged color guard at the dca championship? I have - several times...

How many times were you visual caption chief judge of DCA? I was...

I respect opinions, but don't tell me I don't know what the judges should be looking for...

I will not respond to any further anonymous posts... This is not the old RAMD... This is the civil world... and the comments from silent and deadly are libelous, dangerous, illegal and wrong.

you quoted my post so I have to assume that you are talking to me...

can I ask since you are anonymous... how many color guard contests have you judged? I stopped counting at 245...

Oh and how many times have you judged color guard at the dca championship? I have - several times...

How many times were you visual caption chief judge of DCA? I was...

I respect opinions, but don't tell me I don't know what the judges should be looking for...

I will not respond to any further anonymous posts... This is not the old RAMD... This is the civil world... and the comments from silent and deadly are libelous, dangerous, illegal and wrong.

well not sure why you got so touchy im just stating some facts here and wasnt really disagree with you but if you need it here ya go

judged DCI as well as DCA..you need #s oh pleaseeeeee

Visual caption head..for corps..yessss several years...DCA...no thanks

Dont play that game because no matter how many years either of us or anyone else has been around dont mean squat.................thanks for dropping me to a level I try not to get to. have a great day

ps; still teaching DCI..WC today and consulting within DCA

maybe your anger should have been directed to the OP

this was 2 wasted min of my life i wont get back :blink:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Tom,

Now that you've said that.....maybe I might be a little confused.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not entirely sure):

Guard Caption judges the choreography presented, sometimes the quality, and how it's executed.

General Effect, Visual Ensemble judges how the presented guard program contribute into the overall show.

With that said, I can see how some will say Brass had the better guard looking on the side of it's contribution to the overall show. As far as the individual guard caption goes, I thought Hurricanes had a well choreographed book that contributed FULLY to the show and it was executed well. I will say that they lacked alot in the lower body, but it was consistent throughtout the show. It wasn't as theatrical as Brass, but the show didn't require much theatrics. BUT, they executed that book better than any DCA guard I've seen in awhile.

Now in Class A, it's the same case, but there was CLEARLY a different between Govenaires guard and everyone else in their class. I would even go as far to say that they should have stacked 6th overall. Again just my own opinions.

I've stated before, I can usually find reason with the judges decision, but I really don't see me reasoning with this decision.

Edited by SilentnDeadly960
  • Like 1

their weapons seemed to be a bit sloopy in the past few weeks...flags spotless for sure BUT it is time for better and more informed guard judges and no i dont mean go back to the big wigs of the late 70s and early 80s...God NO :blink: new blood needed....i dont mean young or old...i just mean new....jmo

Did you see the other guard Finals night?!?!?!? Hurricanes "sloppy" weaponline was tons better than any other weaponline on the field. Flagline/whole guard Flag moments... Flawless.