Lee Beddis hired as Madison Scouts Director of Percussion

lee will never win a drum title the way he writes. IMO.

Lee has won a drum title. Hasn't he? Or am I fuzzy on my history?

Won a DCI title with Phantom, but not a drum title. Personally, I think Sanford trophies are overrated. The list of folks who have won them is relatively short, and definitely not enough active winners to go around to all of the top 12.

Mike

So the drum line is gonna be really big in 2012? At least that is what I heard. Bring on the Drum Line! Can't wait! GO MADISON SCOUTS!

Madison used to march some gigantic drum lines back in the 1990s. Was watching 1996 today. 8 snares, 8 tenors, 6 basses.

Would be interesting to see again but I'm not sure it would be a good thing on the competition side. Too much dirt to clean.

Won a DCI title with Phantom, but not a drum title. Personally, I think Sanford trophies are overrated. The list of folks who have won them is relatively short, and definitely not enough active winners to go around to all of the top 12.

Mike

I actually think the Sanford title is pretty well done. Since it is an average of the three nights, its actually fair, rather than just basing it all on one night. You can debate all you want about preferences and writing styles and so on, but when three completely different panels all average out to one group winning, that's pretty clear. The list of winners is short, sure. But that's what makes winning the award an honor. If they just gave out a trophy to everyone who tried hard, we'd be in little league.

I actually think the Sanford title is pretty well done. Since it is an average of the three nights, its actually fair, rather than just basing it all on one night. You can debate all you want about preferences and writing styles and so on, but when three completely different panels all average out to one group winning, that's pretty clear. The list of winners is short, sure. But that's what makes winning the award an honor. If they just gave out a trophy to everyone who tried hard, we'd be in little league.

Are the horn, GE & Marching awards also awarded based on averaging the 3 night scores?

I hate that it's done that way. It takes away the "any given sunday" possibility in judging. If the line thats been placing third all season comes out finals night and performs better than every other line, they deserve to win. Doing it the way they do now is nothing but a pander to the corps thats had the most seasonal success instead of giving credit to the line that performs best on finals night.

I hate that it's done that way. It takes away the "any given sunday" possibility in judging. If the line thats been placing third all season comes out finals night and performs better than every other line, they deserve to win. Doing it the way they do now is nothing but a pander to the corps thats had the most seasonal success instead of giving credit to the line that performs best on finals night.

I think that the Sanford award should be for the best percussion section, not the one that had the best performance on one given night. I don't look at it as a finals night award, but as an end of the season award. And 9 times out of 10, the group that wins the Sanford wins percussion on finals night too anyway. There is plenty of drama on finals night concerning final placement. I'm not all that concerned with giving caption awards to the guys who had the best 10 minutes on the last day of the season.