Key Poulan to Glassmen

Assuming Pete Weber is still designing drill next season for Glassmen, this could be very interesting. I've liked Key's arrangements for SCV the past few years now.

Curious to see how the rest of the staffing situation plays out.

Iplaytimpani, I second your feelings. I loved Rob and Sal when I marched - very talented people and educators. The longer the Glassmen can hold on to them, the better.

• Like 1

not a fan of key poulan at scv because i don't think he meshed with their style well... but I think he may be a great fit at glassmen!

he did, til changes around him were made.

Vanguard 00-04, plus 06-09, classic SCV,

I would rather have seen some new talent or some Glassmen alumni talent entering the pool at this stage. New blood can be horrifying ... or incredible. And new blood is what I think DCI is really missing these days. It's great that the same ppl who have had success are moving around to other organizations ...... but I'd rather hear something new from someone new.

Then in all honesty, watch Open Class. World Class organizations, especially 13th place ones, are hardly in a position to run "something new from someone new" against judges so long as box 5 criterion still includes "evidence of the highest level of instruction" (which has always struck me more as, "I [the judge] studied under the caption head"). Maybe the wording has changed since 06 when the staff read the brass sheets to the hornline, but politics comes to mean more and more as the DCI establishment becomes more entrenched, so I would probably expect more poisonous language if anything. A weak pick would have meant reinforcing the "Glassmen getting passed" meme that surrounds the organization competitively right now. Practical concerns for a singular organization have to outweigh the overall direction of the activity in the minds of those organizations' leadership; I would sooner ask organizations with championships to make these sort of moves re: new blood.

ETA: just to be clear, 'weak pick' means someone without Key's stature in our community; not a comment on anyone's abilities.

Edited by HoltonH178
  • Like 1

he did, til changes around him were made.

Vanguard 00-04, plus 06-09, classic SCV,

I agree with this, but Poulan didn't start arranging for SCV until 2003. 2005 also had good music IMO. The drill and brass were just not that great that year...

Edited by cmathis

Then in all honesty, watch Open Class. World Class organizations, especially 13th place ones, are hardly in a position to run "something new from someone new" against judges so long as box 5 criterion still includes "evidence of the highest level of instruction" (which has always struck me more as, "I [the judge] studied under the caption head"). Maybe the wording has changed since 06 when the staff read the brass sheets to the hornline, but politics comes to mean more and more as the DCI establishment becomes more entrenched, so I would probably expect more poisonous language if anything. A weak pick would have meant reinforcing the "Glassmen getting passed" meme that surrounds the organization competitively right now. Practical concerns for a singular organization have to outweigh the overall direction of the activity in the minds of those organizations' leadership; I would sooner ask organizations with championships to make these sort of moves re: new blood.

ETA: just to be clear, 'weak pick' means someone without Key's stature in our community; not a comment on anyone's abilities.

I do watch OC ... and the lower tier corps and have been extremely impressed over the past 26 years in doing so. I can't count how much talent has not moved up in DCI due to the stranglehold the top corps have on design. I understand you're just saying that there is plenty of talent out there to be seen. I agree. But I would also like to see some of these fine educators have their shot if they want it.