Post Season Reaction

142 members have voted

1. 1. These corps exceeded my 2011 expectations and/or pre-season hype...

• The Cadets
    • Blue Devils
    • The Cavaliers
    • Carolina Crown
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Bluecoats
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Blue Knights
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Stars
    • Spirit of Atlanta
    • Glassmen
    • Troopers
    • The Academy
    • Colts
    • Crossmen
    • Pacific Crest
    • Mandarins
    • Teal Sound
    • Cascades
    • Jersey Surf
    • Pioneer

I'm with Brasso on this. Totally not understanding how some folks are voting.

Certain corps were hyped to heaven in the spring and into the summer - and I'm not talking about Cadets. It's just not possible those corps could exceed expectations that were set so high.

Speaking for myself now, one of my picks was BD. Though I loved the Bacharach choice, I still wasn't expecting much. Indeed, when I saw them in California, the actual performance seemed to confirm my view that the show was headed nowhere. Well, it got to Indy in much better shape than I expected. Was one of my favorites - against my expectations.

Now, can I get a do-over? I forgot to pick Boston. Loved what they accomplished. Loved it!

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The shows that really exceeded my expectations?

Blue Devils - I honestly did not like their show last year and was expecting more of the same abstract music. This year couldn't have been any more different. I loved this show and I actually would have been okay with it winning this year.

Academy - I was expecting a "yeah that was a nice show" kinda year. I was so wrong. The piccolo trumpet solo and the impact haunt me.... Like almost everyday. :o

I feel I’m in tune with the DCP hype machine, this is based upon the pre/early season noise for corps and has nothing to do with what I thought of their shows personally

The ones that exceeded the hype, had better seasons’ based upon final score/placement than they were predicted to were Cadets, Regiment, BAC, BK, and Spirit

All others ended up at par or below their hype

• Like 2

I feel I’m in tune with the DCP hype machine, this is based upon the pre/early season noise for corps and has nothing to do with what I thought of their shows personally

The ones that exceeded the hype, had better seasons’ based upon final score/placement than they were predicted to were Cadets, Regiment, BAC, BK, and Spirit

All others ended up at par or below their hype

maybe based on score BUT I think some would disagree as far as some of the corps you mention and if hype helped them or not..i say with a few it did help.

I dont mean DCP hype :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

I’m not saying pre or early season hype helped any of them but you really can’t disagree with the corps I listed a quick run down - pre season hype was BD to win again, maybe Cavies who gained on them last year and placed second...then the early season was all about the Cavies...threads about BD in 4th place appeared. Regiment was considered cooked because of the drumline defection and all girl color guard and slow, easy drill (threads on each). Not much hype on BAC or BK but only their homers thought they would beat Blue Stars or Madison at finals and Spirit was rarely picked to eke out the 12th place spot, most often that went to Troopers, Academy or Crossmen

• Like 2

I’m not saying pre or early season hype helped any of them but you really can’t disagree with the corps I listed a quick run down - pre season hype was BD to win again, maybe Cavies who gained on them last year and placed second...then the early season was all about the Cavies...threads about BD in 4th place appeared. Regiment was considered cooked because of the drumline defection and all girl color guard and slow, easy drill (threads on each). Not much hype on BAC or BK but only their homers thought they would beat Blue Stars or Madison at finals and Spirit was rarely picked to eke out the 12th place spot, most often that went to Troopers, Academy or Crossmen

i would agree with most of it although i think there was alot on Spirit and I do think it helped them with at least an edge. in fact i know it did...lol :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1