Post Season Reaction

142 members have voted

1. 1. These corps exceeded my 2011 expectations and/or pre-season hype...

• The Cadets
    • Blue Devils
    • The Cavaliers
    • Carolina Crown
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Bluecoats
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Blue Knights
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Stars
    • Spirit of Atlanta
    • Glassmen
    • Troopers
    • The Academy
    • Colts
    • Crossmen
    • Pacific Crest
    • Mandarins
    • Teal Sound
    • Cascades
    • Jersey Surf
    • Pioneer

I'm curious to keep track of how your ideas of the drum corps shows developed as the season went on...

*Which corps shows turned out way better than you would have thought?

*Were you expecting something different?

*Was there too much hype in the off season for some corps... too little?

*Which corps took you by surprise?

I didn't put the opposite question because I wanted to keep this thread positive but...

*Were there some corps shows you would have wanted differently?

*...or didn't live to the hype or ideas that were in your head?

Edited by charlie1223

A few corps exceeded my expectations but I will comment on the one that did it the most...

That would be Carolina Crown. I was not 100% digging their show and I felt it would be lacking in a lot of aspects that I enjoy about drum corps... But... something happened after I watched the show and... I enjoyed it! For me personally that was one of the corps that really exceeded my expectations.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

I'm curious to keep track of how your ideas of the drum corps shows developed as the season went on...

*Which corps shows turned out way better than you would have thought?

*Were you expecting something different?

*Was there too much hype in the off season for some corps... too little?

*Which corps took you by surprise?

I didn't put the opposite question because I wanted to keep this thread positive but...

*Were there some corps shows you would have wanted differently?

*...or didn't live to the hype or ideas that were in your head?

Good Post.

Blue Devils did not live up to the hype. I was hopeful, I listend to the MP3's. I have read reviews from other people here about how wonderful their melodies were. IMO, they were still choppy. I love Burt Bacharach, I love Dionne Warwick, I have multiple recordings of his music. Way too choppy. If they could only begin, continue and end a phrase I would be in heaven......

My favourites out of everyone are Vanguard and Scouts. I'm listening to them over and over again right now - Scouts in particular have some incredible arrangements. I love the blend of all the themes. Vanguard on the other hand, has the most amazing musical percussion sound. Contrary to what others might think, I love their brass as well.

• Like 4

A few corps exceeded my expectations but I will comment on the one that did it the most...

That would be Carolina Crown. I was not 100% digging their show and I felt it would be lacking in a lot of aspects that I enjoy about drum corps... But... something happened after I watched the show and... I enjoyed it! For me personally that was one of the corps that really exceeded my expectations.

This is the one corps that I just can't listen to. I'm sorry, flame away but it won't change how I feel. I know what they do is excellent, it's just that after several years of "wow" I just don't feel it now.

I feel like Frasier Crane right now.....

• Like 5

This is the one corps that I just can't listen to. I'm sorry, flame away but it won't change how I feel. I know what they do is excellent, it's just that after several years of "wow" I just don't feel it now.

Not for everyone and that's fine! I think what's important is that you atleast have a couple or so corps that you love listening to!

I know how you feel. I'm hoping it'll grow on me someday soon. I had to fight myself just to put it on my Prelims playlist. I actually just did that today!

Edited by jaylogan
  • Like 1

Since the question was preseason " hype ", and what the Corps did in the end compared to this " hype " ( or lack of hype ), I voted for the Spirit of Atlanta, and the Boston Crusaders. I went back and looked at the threads in preseason and also preseason prediction threads. I based my choices here on what the " hype " level was coupled with DCP fans prediction threads. My research seemed to show few predictions that the Spirit of Atlanta would make Finals Top 12. They did not receive much " hype" on here in preseason either. I chose the Boston Crusaders because they received very little preseason " hype " but later were one of the 8 Corps to break 90 on Finals Night. There were Corps they finished ahead of at Finals that seemed to have received a lot more preseason( and early season ) hype than they did, so they seemed like a good choice based upon " hype " and what the Finals results on the field of competition were.

Edited by BRASSO

Since the question was preseason " hype ", and what the Corps did in the end compared to this " hype " ( or lack of hype ), I voted for the Spirit of Atlanta, and the Boston Crusaders. I went back and looked at the threads in preseason and also preseason prediction threads. I based my choices here on what the " hype " level was coupled with DCP fans prediction threads. My research seemed to show few predictions that the Spirit of Atlanta would make Finals Top 12. They did not receive much " hype" on here in preseason either. I chose the Boston Crusaders because they received very little preseason " hype " on here either. There were Corps they finished ahead of at Finals that seemed to have received a lot more preseason( and early season ) hype than they did, so they seemed like a good choice based upon " hype " and what the Finals results on the field of competition were.

there may not have been alot of Spirit Hype pre season on here BUT there was alot through the Drum Corps community outside of here and IMO certainly helped them not only through the year but for sure getting into finals...Now did it get them completely in maybe not , did they have to step up to the plate...yes.....did they get the benefit of the doubtand taken more seriously...for sure

there certainly is a reality to hype, now wheather it works or not for a certain group is another thing. Some directors even plant the hype seed themselves just like a producer would do for a new play or tv show...all the same. Now you either live up to it or you dont but as I said Hype is for real

Edited by GUARDLING

there certainly is a reality to hype, now wheather it works or not for a certain group is another thing. Some directors even plant the hype seed themselves just like a producer would do for a new play or tv show...all the same. Now you either live up to it or you dont but as I said Hype is for real

I hear you you, but I don't think " hype " frankly has much to do with anything at all once the product hits the field and the judges do their thing. Judges don't care about preseason hype at all. If anything, it might work against a Corps with judges. When the product and the performers hit the field, thats when " reality " hits, and the rubber hits the road so to speak( and as it should ). Nobody cares come August the level of hype that a Corps got in preseason. I didn't remember it. So I had to go back and read who was getting the most( and least) hype and who wasn't in the preseason, and then compare that with the finals " reality ". Thats how I made my selections anyway. Others probably took a different approach than me on who got hyped and who didn't and who finished up where despite high or low levels of preseason and early season " hype " from fans on here.

Edited by BRASSO