Is Madison the new Crown?

Ooh, ooh, my turn, my turn.

The way I look at it is like this. Crown has been around since 1990. It ws not until 2003 that they started doing programs that were designed at a very high level. Prior to that, they had some nice shows, such as the Chess show and the Jekyll and Hyde show, in my opinion. Since 2004 they have ALMOST been consistent. 2004 was ok, lackluster and full of cheese but creative. 2005 was a cool show. 2006 was a step back in my opinion. 2007 til present have been good, great even at moments, but still lacking in some captions, which is why the title has never come their way.

Take the Madison Scouts now. DCI finalist from 1973 until 2001. 2 world championships. Many other strong finishes. Since 2002, missed finals several times. Forced a director to retire. Brought in a group of people that virtually bankrupted the corps. Came close to the end after a pitiful show in 2006.

Had a reunion corps.

Started allowing alumni to come to rehearsal again instead of just sending letters begging for money like they did from 2003-2006. Paid off debt.

In 2007 started an attempt to bring back their alumni and fanbase that the powers that be virtually disbanded from 2003-2006.

Made several attempts at getting design on track from 2007-2009.

In 2010 brought in an all-star staff(no pun intended) to help re-establish the brand.

And have been successful.

So no, they're not the "new Crown." They're just an old friend coming home.

As for the references to being the new Crown, I think that's a lazy way of people saying, "Hey, I didn't watch drum corps before 2001, so I never knew that Madison is one of the oldest and most successful corps in history. I just thought they were some group, because all my opinions started in 2001 and are based solely on what the judges say are 'top 12' corps in the last 10 years."

That's the way I look at it.

Very well stated! Madison will be just fine this coming season, and for many to come. So will Crown by the way...

• Like 2

Ooh, ooh, my turn, my turn.

The way I look at it is like this. Crown has been around since 1990. It ws not until 2003 that they started doing programs that were designed at a very high level. Prior to that, they had some nice shows, such as the Chess show and the Jekyll and Hyde show, in my opinion. Since 2004 they have ALMOST been consistent. 2004 was ok, lackluster and full of cheese but creative. 2005 was a cool show. 2006 was a step back in my opinion. 2007 til present have been good, great even at moments, but still lacking in some captions, which is why the title has never come their way.

Take the Madison Scouts now. DCI finalist from 1973 until 2001. 2 world championships. Many other strong finishes. Since 2002, missed finals several times. Forced a director to retire. Brought in a group of people that virtually bankrupted the corps. Came close to the end after a pitiful show in 2006.

Had a reunion corps.

Started allowing alumni to come to rehearsal again instead of just sending letters begging for money like they did from 2003-2006. Paid off debt.

In 2007 started an attempt to bring back their alumni and fanbase that the powers that be virtually disbanded from 2003-2006.

Made several attempts at getting design on track from 2007-2009.

In 2010 brought in an all-star staff(no pun intended) to help re-establish the brand.

And have been successful.

So no, they're not the "new Crown." They're just an old friend coming home.

As for the references to being the new Crown, I think that's a lazy way of people saying, "Hey, I didn't watch drum corps before 2001, so I never knew that Madison is one of the oldest and most successful corps in history. I just thought they were some group, because all my opinions started in 2001 and are based solely on what the judges say are 'top 12' corps in the last 10 years."

That's the way I look at it.

Ahem. My dad marched in 1981-1982 with Phantom Regiment. I grew up only knowing the old madison scouts of the power eras. I've been instructed by 2 Madison Scouts snares from those days. One happens to be Jeff Spanos. So I do know all the power history of how strong the scouts are. What I meant was that there always seem to be that one corps that everyone is hoping to see climb up the ladder. Crown has been that favorite for the last few years. Now Scouts have stepped back into the spotlight of the underdog crowd favorite. I'm not comparing history of the corps or styles. I just meant it as there is always that corps that people are hoping to see climb up to fight for a top spot.

• Like 4

I will offer this prediction - as a former marching member (not Scouts, obviously)

Madison will win another Division 1 (World Class) championship before Crown wins it's first. It won't be in the next 2 years but it will happen..... (Queue CorpsBand).....

• Like 3

I will offer this prediction - as a former marching member (not Scouts, obviously)

Madison will win another Division 1 (World Class) championship before Crown wins it's first. It won't be in the next 2 years but it will happen..... (Queue CorpsBand).....

That would be great if it happened, but I'm wondering why you feel

so strongly that it would happen. :smile:

• Like 1

Ahem. My dad marched in 1981-1982 with Phantom Regiment. I grew up only knowing the old madison scouts of the power eras. I've been instructed by 2 Madison Scouts snares from those days. One happens to be Jeff Spanos. So I do know all the power history of how strong the scouts are. What I meant was that there always seem to be that one corps that everyone is hoping to see climb up the ladder. Crown has been that favorite for the last few years. Now Scouts have stepped back into the spotlight of the underdog crowd favorite. I'm not comparing history of the corps or styles. I just meant it as there is always that corps that people are hoping to see climb up to fight for a top spot.

Nevermind, guess my commments, as an alum of the Scouts have fallen on some deaf ears.

Sorry to offend.

Edited by elmhurstmusiced
  • Like 1

Why do you think that? There is no logic in that statement. Crown has been competing at a top 5 level for years now, and that fact that Madison used to compete at that level is completely irrelevant. I think it will be MUCH more difficult for any of the corps 6-12 to break into the top 5 than any of us think.

• Like 3

That would be great if it happened, but I'm wondering why you feel

so strongly that it would happen. :smile:

Maybe part of it is just wishful thinking on my part but Madison is doing everything right as far as improving the corps. As they get stronger better musicians will be attracted to the corps. I can totally see it happening in the next 5 or so years. As far as Crown goes - I don't see them dropping significantly but I don't think they will win. Call it a gut feeling if you want.

• Like 1

Why do you think that? There is no logic in that statement. Crown has been competing at a top 5 level for years now, and that fact that Madison used to compete at that level is completely irrelevant. I think it will be MUCH more difficult for any of the corps 6-12 to break into the top 5 than any of us think.

Well said, Bozz.

Fred O.

I just meant it as there is always that corps that people are hoping to see climb up to fight for a top spot.

Most people go bonkers with delight in the rare occasion when some other Corps than the trifecta of " The Cadevaliers " wins the top spot. When Phantom won in 2008, it was the loudest ovation at Finals at the announcement of the Champion in decades. My guess, most fans would be happy if Madison, Crown, Boston,SCV Bluecoats, etc... anyone else... could win a Title. 80% of the titles since the 70's go to one of these 3 Corps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3