Cadets perform for the UN as the introduction for President Obama!

Wait a second. I fully agree that O probably has lots of others things in his mind, but...

HE WAS READING IT!

He didn't have to think about it at all. What he needed was a staff who took the time to actually engage with George and show some interest in the facts. Somehow I doubt that Hop booked them for this gig by touting that they are an All-Star marching band.

And, imagine, of all those people in the room that one or two of them stumble across a band competition in their local town. They remember "Hey, I saw one of these at the UN and they were great!" They pile the kids in the car, buy tickets, and settle in for an expectation that is never fulfilled.

What has that done for drum corps? Do we want people who are impressed to seek out a marching band competition or a drum corps competition?

Still, way to go George and crew. Great job in a highly visible event.

we want them to seek both out as far as I see it...like it or not we are en twined....its to a point we feed off each other in many ways..and any exposure to the arts is good....JMO

Edited by GUARDLING

Out of curiosity, I just went to the YEA site, and the phrase "drum and bugle corps" appears nowhere on the corps' page on the YEA site. Seems the better question is why The Cadets management is so ashamed of the phrase "drum and bugle corps" that they don't use it to describe themselves.

[/Tongue >>>cheek. ]

Congrats to the members who made it to perform for the President. You did yourselves and your organization proud.

Edited by Geoff
political comments removed
  • Like 3

Speaking of "clueless"... :cool:

Out of curiosity, I just went to the YEA site, and the phrase "drum and bugle corps" appears nowhere on the corps' page on the YEA site. Seems the better question is why The Cadets management is so ashamed of the phrase "drum and bugle corps" that they don't use it to describe themselves.

[/Tongue >>>cheek. ]

Congrats to the members who made it to perform for the President. You did yourselves and your organization proud.

Maybe they are going BOA ? :ph34r:

• Like 1

Speaking of "clueless"... :cool:

[/Tongue >>>cheek. ]

OR, should this whole thread be removed since it's off topic in drum corps ? :blink:

• Like 2

Well Obama could have called them a string quartet....doesn't take away what a great opportunity that was for The Cadets and the activity.

Sure it would have been great for Obama to say a drum corps....but seriously......with what is going on in the counrty and the world right now I'm sure Obama has bigger things going through his mind........get a grip people

Yeah. With no work experience, what the heck is he supposed to do starting January 20, 2013?

• Like 3

[/Tongue >>>cheek. ]

Oddly enough, the 'title' of their home page on the top of my browser says, "The Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps."

Also, when you click, "about Cadets" you get a myriad of uses of 'drum and bugle corps, such as

The Cadets, a program of Youth Education in The Arts, are one of the oldest and most honored continuously operating drum and bugle corps in the world

Also an entire section called What is Drum and Bugle Corps? and mentions drums corps in the first few words of the section What are the Benefits to the Performers:

Drum corps is an activity which attempts to do much more than provide a performance opportunity for students or entertainment for an audience.

Oh, and in the section How Can I Learn More, it says,

Begin by attending a drum corps production/competition in your area.

So yeah, PLENTY of drum corps references: no need to needlessly stir the hornet's nest... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

You can close this thread at any time. The trolls have taken over.

Well, for the trolls, I suppose it could have been worse. A portion of the "devils" half of the Cadets could have entered and thrown some old horns around!

Seriously, congratulations to the Cadets for this opportunity. What an honor for those involved.

Edited by Jim Anello