Proposed DCI Reorganization

I guess no matter what anyone else says, DanielRay has a better solution right? We are all idiots and know nothing. I have one better....I am an idiot for continuing this post! If DCI needed re-organization just call them or leave your card. Then again, maybe they don't want your help. Take the hint!

• Like 2

To be certain, the most-recent 990 information is not available so we only have DCI's announcements on which to base it's recent changes. Perhaps we'll see dramatic increases across the board.

But you can't shake the background notion that DCI is "just surviving". On big, broad trends it vacillates between slightly successful and not. The big "reserve" balance of a few years ago is gone from the 990s, the money used up to supplement for a "bad year" or two.

This is not the model that will allow DCI to become the loudspeaker of promotion of the pinnacle of the marching arts. That organization has to be stronger in the marketplace and developing that position takes assets and financial resources that DCI can scarcely do without. Everyone talks about getting DCI back in the media but it takes a big chunk of change. Immediately many start thinking about a rich benefactor who might pay the bill, instead of DCI developing a line of business that would support such costs. The model of paying out ever more funds to the corps leaves nothing for the organization to use to promote it in the current medium.

I'm really not seeing why there's such negativism towards thinking outside the box. Leaving DCI to do the same things again, year after year, and expecting different results is mind-boggling to me.

If one guy can guide the discussion with some "Sounds crazy, might work" thinking, I fail to see why that's unproductive. Doesn't all real growth come without the luxury of prior experience?

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

I wish DCI could come up with something like the Pet Rock. In the first 6 months creator Gary Dahl earned what would be roughly $56M today.

This is seriously the sort of out there creative thinking that the activity needs when it comes to revenue generation.

My ultimate goal??? 18 top corps participating on a near equal level. Kids participating for free in 36 corps.

This will not happen with revenue coming from milking the same cow.

That's it! DCI dairy products: Nestlea already has drumsticks; let's shape them as real drum sticks. We can also have popsicles in the colors of the corps on the wrappers. And cheese named after the corps. (Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this?)

A sub sandwich franchise!

"I'll need two Vanguards, a 27th, a Cavalier, two Blue Stars and a Muchacho with extra jalapeno. Also four medium Hurricanes. To-go please."

I'd really love to see a lot more money flowing into the DCI coffer, I hope DRay's thoughts strike gold.

It baffles me that other exceedingly ridiculous (televised!) programs get millions pumped into them while the easily superior product of Drum Corps gets pushed aside.

snow-globe.jpgastro_lamps.jpgBlackKitchenTimer.jpgtumblr_l01yjiffDp1qz8rhwo1_500.jpgrockyoyo1.jpg

DCI The Pet Rock!

DCI the lightsaber!

DCI the lunchbox!

Why do I hear Spaceballs in my head?

DCI the coffin...just like KISS!

Yes, there i$.

Let's try to remember that some of DCI's TEPs are high-school bands. They provide a critical role in securing school facilities for DCI, particularly for housing the touring corps, but also for the show venue itself in some cases. They also know how to get the local audience to turn out for the event. The opportunity to host a show serves a critical role for the HS band, too....they use it as a fundraiser for their band program.

Maybe the reason that point is being missed is that you spend 99% of the time discussing irrelevant organizational changes. Perhaps if you made proposals focused on the external money-making ideas themselves, they would get the attention.

:worthy:

To be certain, the most-recent 990 information is not available so we only have DCI's announcements on which to base it's recent changes. Perhaps we'll see dramatic increases across the board.

But you can't shake the background notion that DCI is "just surviving". On big, broad trends it vacillates between slightly successful and not. The big "reserve" balance of a few years ago is gone from the 990s, the money used up to supplement for a "bad year" or two.

This is not the model that will allow DCI to become the loudspeaker of promotion of the pinnacle of the marching arts. That organization has to be stronger in the marketplace and developing that position takes assets and financial resources that DCI can scarcely do without. Everyone talks about getting DCI back in the media but it takes a big chunk of change. Immediately many start thinking about a rich benefactor who might pay the bill, instead of DCI developing a line of business that would support such costs. The model of paying out ever more funds to the corps leaves nothing for the organization to use to promote it in the current medium.

I'm really not seeing why there's such negativism towards thinking outside the box. Leaving DCI to do the same things again, year after year, and expecting different results is mind-boggling to me.

If one guy can guide the discussion with some "Sounds crazy, might work" thinking, I fail to see why that's unproductive. Doesn't all real growth come without the luxury of prior experience?

thinking outside the box is great. merging three organizations with 3 very different missions into one is my issue, that and the lack of serious ideas, not just market speak. In a thread a year ago there was more substantive ideas thrown out rhan what Daniel has.

He's too focused on merging, consolidating etc. he also forgets as DCi stands now, the current board would have to approve these changes...aka give up the power with a smile. That ain't happening.

your proposal has XYA running and coordinating the events. for the amount of staff required to run all of these, it will cost. which means the cost goes up from where it is now.

which means less money for schools

I'm still trying to figure out your logic here, Jeff. I can't connect your dots...

If NewCo can contract venues and TEP's for all three, WGI, BOA, and DCI (and, what the heck, USSBA can join, too!) it's because of their experience in running a national tour. Add up the manpower, hours and assets necessary for each to run their own schedule and it certainly is orders of magnitude greater than what a centralized organization would cost for the same services. The target would be for NewCo to offer the tour duties for cheaper than any of the independent parts can do for themselves. Therefor the cost to contract with with NewCo will actually save each individual entity money, making funds available for other ventures the wish to implement themselves.

As it is now, DCI contracts with TEPs to run shows. That shouldn't change precisely because DCI doesn't have the manpower to run the shows themselves. the NewCo format would be no different; they would contract with TEP's to run shows, and possibly charge as much to the TEP for corps to show up. But with NewCo's cheaper infrastructure due to its wider stance with BOA and WGI, NewCo would be able to net a bigger number after expenses.

I don't think this has the potential to "kill ticket prices" as you suggest. The smartest of the competitors will certainly not commoditize the activity by competing on price.

thinking outside the box is great. merging three organizations with 3 very different missions into one is my issue, that and the lack of serious ideas, not just market speak. In a thread a year ago there was more substantive ideas thrown out rhan what Daniel has.

He's too focused on merging, consolidating etc. he also forgets as DCi stands now, the current board would have to approve these changes...aka give up the power with a smile. That ain't happening.

The idea is NOT to merge the three. Maybe that's why we can't connect. The idea is to co-ordinate the areas that these three entities share - in this discussion the fact that they all run "tours" or shows.

Only the structural components of running the tour for each would be centralized. The efficiencies created, ideally, would allow for the tour cost structure for each to be cheaper than what each is dedicating to the tour now. None would have to change their stripes, their goals, or the mission of their organization.

Each would pay less for their tour structure, and the consolidating organization that offers that service, NewCo, is profitable.

This example is still tied to the marching arts, in general, and doesn't really solve the problem of "external funding". But, perhaps NewCo's tour expertise could be used to organize a tour for, oh I don't know, say, the London Symphony on their next time they do an American tour? How about the Harlem Globetrotters, or a tennis tour, or how about Mitch Romney's national tour??

For example...

Oh, and you, of all people, know that the there's probably as little unity among the BOD of DCI as there has been in 40 years. I wouldn't consider it an impenetrable wall of resistance to new ways of thinking about what DCI does well.

Edited by garfield