Can You Relate This to Drum Corps?

So, we're obviously experiencing a "slow rotation" period here on the planet, at least as far as active discussion is concerned. Of course we'll pick up some momentum as the DVDs/CDs come out, as well as when audition camps and show announcements begin to trickle in more frequently.

Anyway, in our "down time," (and based upon a recent thread), I became curious about the kind of stories that would emerge from corps folks if a random word, object or thought were presented for corps-related discussion. In other words, can we relate most anything to a "lived" (or known) drum corps experience?

For the sake of flow, please offer a corps-related story or response to a given word, object or thought, then offer a new word, object or thought for others to respond to. Let's finally see if EVERYTHING has a drum corps connection, somewhere in time or space.

Example: Relate or connect "Dental Floss" to a lived (or known) drum corps experience

Once, because of a broken spring on my soprano bugle's water key (spit-valve), I had to resort to an emergency use of a piece of USED dental floss to tie it down before stepping on the field. And yeah, the used floss came from someone else... with bad breath and bad teeth! :sad:

New word/object or thought: Fighting

Share your lived (or known) corps-related connection/experience with fighting.

Edited by nemesiscorps

I don't know how you all feel about nascar references, but there's a big similarity.

Jimmy Johnson won 5 consecutive championships from 2006-2010.

Blue Devils nearly got 4 championships from 2007-2010.

Jimmy Johnson is doing poor, so he's very likely not going to win this year.

Blue Devils didn't win this year.

I know it's not exact, but it's similar. A reference I never would usually use is, Blue Devils are the Jimmy Johnson of nascar.

Edited by Noname

• 3 weeks later...

Fighting for a spot in finals.

New Word DRAG

Edited by ibexpercussion

"Last place again... gah, what a drag."

:lookaround:

New word: Fermented.

Socks got wet during a rain rehersal and put them in a plastic bag so my other stuff wouldn't get wet. Forgot them and they fermented till i accidentally opened the bag to the stench.

New word: travesty

• Like 1

Socks got wet during a rain rehersal and put them in a plastic bag so my other stuff wouldn't get wet. Forgot them and they fermented till i accidentally opened the bag to the stench.

New word: travesty

The fact that Barbara Maroney -- the Gold Standard for mellophone soloists -- is not in the Cadets HOF is a travesty (that's how I really feel, by the way)

New word: Borax (this'll be fun)

The fact that Barbara Maroney -- the Gold Standard for mellophone soloists -- is not in the Cadets HOF is a travesty (that's how I really feel, by the way)

New word: Borax (this'll be fun)

The Blue Devils show with mirrors required the liberal use of borax.

Next word.... " Palaver "

The Blue Devils show with mirrors required the liberal use of borax.

Next word.... " Palaver "

The Cadets show in 2007, "This I Believe," was full of palaver.

New word: LEGO

The Cadets show in 2007, "This I Believe," was full of palaver.

New word: LEGO

The Renegades anti-pit used a LEGO rack.

New word: conundrum

The Renegades anti-pit used a LEGO rack.

New word: conundrum

Each off season presents a real conundrum for show designers to incorporate an effective musical and visual show theme on a football field for a show less than 15 minutes long.

next word... " ostentatious "