Phantom Regiment trying to do what Madison has done recently?

So recently Madison Scouts have went back to their roots and are creating shows that bring back bits of previous years. Last year Phantom brought back Romeo and Juliet and this year bringing back Nessun Dorma. Is Phantom trying to create the success that Madison has had?

you mean like bringing back Spartacus in 08?

Organ Symphony in 90?

1812 in 92?

hey if it works for them and fans love them, go for it.

1 i have no problem with what they are doing i in fact love it. Im not talking about placement Im talking about connecting with the fans.

Phantoms MO for...well...ever hasbeen connecting with their fans. Some years they used previously used tunes. Some years they found brand new stuff and did it.

One does not have to recycle the past to connect. It's all in how you design it. Phantom has shown that you can do it both ways and make it work.

hmm lets see... madison started going back to their roots in 2010..

in 05 phantom played rhapsody in blue which they played historically

07 firebird... tribute to the past

08..spartacus... nothing else needs to be said, a very historic show for regiment before 2008

phantom always goes back to stuff they've played before... madison just started doing it, nothing wrong with that. They aren't copying phantom, they are just doing what works for them and what the audience likes... but phantom was doing this long before madisons recent nostalgic turn

:worthy:

Think of fan response. The last 2 years Madison has been one of the most liked/remembered shows.

MADISON 2010 and 2011 Not even in the top3 of best 10th shows of the 2000's.

Phantom is having much more success than Madison of late. stupid comparison.

• Like 1

You crack me up!

It is a silly comparison.

Two great DCI World Class Drum and Bugle Corps... can't wait to see where 2012 takes us!

Its a good time to be a fan of the Drum Corps activity... IMO!

PEACE!

Really?

IF you followed Phantom Regiment you would know that songs like Amazing Grace, Elsa's and Nessun Dorma have rotated through the corps encore presentations and warmups for decades.

Perhaps you can explain why you believe Phantom is following Madison's 'successes'?

Could it be possible that MADISON is copying Phantom's successful 'recreation' of its early 80's version of Sparticus? After all, Phantom has had a bit more success in placement the last few years, so isn't Madison doing their best to create Phantom's success(es)???

Funny to think Madison Scouts are following the footsteps of Phantom.

Not to mention they were playing Elsa's....

And I would say it is the other way around. Scouts are trying to do what Phantom has done. And Phantom connects with the crowd EVERY year. Even 09 got a good response from much of the crowd (not I... I actually dosed off... haha).

Disagree. Scouts are not doing what phantom has done, but what Scouts have done, and even through the struggle of time, will continue to do.

yeah, but you forgot to mention the 2009 disaster on the field called "Red Violin." Major problems there. But, Madison's answer was no better...Night of the Iguana? Yeah, forgettable as well.

That is the only thing i think you can compare about the two corps... 2009 were "not their season"

...AND I dont hide behind some name so I can shred other corps either.

It's obviouis.

But don't even start with that stuff that Phantom is copying Madison.

Sorry you find exact examples of the crowd loving Phantom's shows so annoying! Just stating it as it is....Phantom almost always connects with the fans AND is NOT following Madison's example this year, last year or any of the last 20 years.

....before that, sure, maybe they did, but I wasn't part of drum corps back then AND those years weren't mentioned in the topic.

HOMER - YES, and I will defend my home corps any day!

"Drum corps needs that just as it needs those who won't just rehash old shows because they know the audience will like it."

TRUE, but this thread topic wasn't written that way.

I'm all for new shows, new music, old music no one has done......have never said nor implied that I don't support new music - including that from your corps.

But this thread, again, states very clearly that PHANTOM is FOLLOWING Madison's lead.

Simply not true and I gave examples rather than just throw barbs.

I will be honest, i dont reveal my name, but i dont bash other corps, but mearly cheer my corps on. And i would say, this: Im going to defend the corps i love as well... The Madison Scouts. Have you thought about this and ive noticed a few other threads, they dont mean exactly what they say. Bringing back Elsa, and Nessun Dorma (not going to lie i dont know too much about Phantoms history) can easily be stated as returning to those signature phantom regiment tunes, which could be mis-interpreted as returning to their roots, which the scouts have stated numerous of times for the 2010 season. So i see the reasoning someone would create this thread. Every corps will have its high years and its low years, but to say one is following the other, is a bit out of hand. Phantom Regiment made me a "phan" in 2010(although i have not watched spartacus, which i will here shortly :) ) SO I hope Phantom keeps up the good work. With That being said, I love the direction that my Scouts have taken the past two summers, and I cannot wait to see what they have in store for this summer.

First, no, Madison is not 'copying' Phantom. Phantom has done their thing, in their way, all along, and it works for them. Even in their disaster year (cough09cough), they were a crowd favorite.

Madison, however, has made a concerted effort to reengage their fan base, and it's worked very, very well. They deserve nothing but praise for that.

Let's don't turn it into a one-versus-the-other thing, 'cause it's not. If both corps are making folks happy, then everyone wins.

Mike

(Who actually really liked Madison's 2008 show, and at least the opener in 2009.)

I know this isnt facebook. but i wanted you to know, that i liked this post :)

I dont think its the case of one following the other, but the shear fact of them being themselves, sometimes in the moments of life, you have to look inside yourself and see the true you. That is what these two corps have done, i look inside myself and you look inside yourself, it doesnt mean that we followed one another, but we simply took a self-evaluation of where we were, where we are, and where we want to be. I love drum corps, and i love the kids that participate in this glorious activity, and i would not want the kids to think we dont care about their products that they put on the field. They care about what they do, lets care about that.

I'm always amazed at the lengths people go through sometimes on this forum to "connect the dots".

Madison isnt copying Phantom. Madison is making smart programming decisions and re-solidifying it's brand.

I remember the Madison Scouts used to say "The concept IS Madison!". Madison's repertoire was less important than seeing how they would put their spin on it because their brand was so strong.

In the 2000s the Madison brand became a little murky, and some shows were better than others. Changing the uniform so frequently didnt help either - identity matters. The staff is going back to what originally established the (successful) Madison brand to re-establish it.

Phantom Regiment's inconsistencies have mostly come from their visual program so playing old tunes wont really do much. John Brazale rising from the grave however....

Maybe we should wait a little longer before we start creating topics about Madison's success. I personally felt their 2011 program was actually a step back from their 2010 show.

Edited by musclebud
  • Like 3

scores alone are not success.