I STILL say....the greatest opener ever is........

OK. Please forgive this intrusion on a Junior discussion board but - the absolute greatest Off The Line performance by any drum corps EVER was arranged by the great Hy Dreitzer. It was called New York, New York and was preceded by a totally awesome intro called "Applause" performed first in 1973 by the New York Skyliners.

That out of the way, going back a little further you'll find on a 1965 recording of the VFW Nationals held that year in Chicago (indoors no less at MacCormick Place) "The Bully" Off The Line by the Cavaliers that will blow your mind - there's a triple tongue solo in there that I dare any Bb player to even consider. It is literally the most perfect performance of any era. They came in second to the Royal Aires BTW.

"How The West Was Won" performed in 1964 at The New York World's fair is also among my favorites.

Now you would have had to be alive and on the East Coast in 1969 to witness St. Rita's Brassmen's Off The Line of "Il Pagliacci" Hy Drietzer's arrangement of the Leoncavello Operatic overture that segued into what was often misnamed "The Circus Song," complete with a French horn, Mellophone and solo saprano "Calliope." you just had to be there. There are "Evening With the Corps" and a "World Open" Fleetwood recordings of this performance.

OnTheLineInLynn1969.jpg

<snip>

I grew up listening to those albums! My Dad marched soprano in Skyliners, and his old albums (of both Junior and Senior corps) were my first introduction to drum corps. I suspect the reason I marched in St. Iggies was because Mr. Hy Drietzer, Mr. Tommy Martin and Mr. Carmen Cluna were all on staff. My Dad knew all of them from his drumcorps days.

As far as openers, I loved Garfield '83 (I listened to that show so much, I wore out the tape). I also loved SCV '87.

Peace,

CuriousMe

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also like "Procession of the Nobles" from SCV in '70 and in '80 when I got to play it. The arrangement is almost identical.

Henry V? Also killer.

What can I say? I love all the old school SCV OTLs. GR knew what he was doin'.

Edited by scv guy

1979 Boston Crusaders-Coronation Scene Boris Gudonov 25 Man Hornline kicking butt and making people stand nonstop in the stands...

1971 27th Lancers - Fanfare Medley

1975 Hawthorne Muchachos

1974 Kilties,- Brigadoon

1975 Kilties -The Third Hoorah

Edited by dusti

Anaheim 74 Mambo, lots of syncopated parts between sections, you really had to pay attention to the DM and the beat to keep it together.

Yea, Calvin, I'm kind of partial to that one too since it was my first year in drum corps. I also love Channel One Suite...

"Greatest Opener "EVER"":

1964 St Kevins Emerald Knights: "Voice of the Guns". :laugh:

Elphaba