I STILL say....the greatest opener ever is........

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I'm partial I have to go with 84 Freelancers-You're Still a Young Man/ What is Hip?

I also have to mention 85 Suncoast-Florida Suite (I saw 89 mentioned but felt 85 was better)

80 Spirit-Georgia

92 BD- Someones There

92 Star

For those of you who mentioned 89 and 90 Freelancers thanks, those were my first 2 years.

Gotta be the Lancers Crown Imperial.

OK. Please forgive this intrusion on a Junior discussion board but - the absolute greatest Off The Line performance by any drum corps EVER was arranged by the great Hy Dreitzer. It was called New York, New York and was preceded by a totally awesome intro called "Applause" performed first in 1973 by the New York Skyliners.

That out of the way, going back a little further you'll find on a 1965 recording of the VFW Nationals held that year in Chicago (indoors no less at MacCormick Place) "The Bully" Off The Line by the Cavaliers that will blow your mind - there's a triple tongue solo in there that I dare any Bb player to even consider. It is literally the most perfect performance of any era. They came in second to the Royal Aires BTW.

"How The West Was Won" performed in 1964 at The New York World's fair is also among my favorites.

Now you would have had to be alive and on the East Coast in 1969 to witness St. Rita's Brassmen's Off The Line of "Il Pagliacci" Hy Drietzer's arrangement of the Leoncavello Operatic overture that segued into what was often misnamed "The Circus Song," complete with a French horn, Mellophone and solo saprano "Calliope." you just had to be there. There are "Evening With the Corps" and a "World Open" Fleetwood recordings of this performance.

OnTheLineInLynn1969.jpg

I agree with many of those who have posted before me but I just wanted to add the "Historical" flavor here.

Thanks for your patience. And yes, we were a small corps even for the time but played and marched big enough to place 7th at the World Open that year. Troopers won BTW

1991 Blue Devils "commencement" - untouchable in its energyand dynamics.

1987 SCV "Russian Christmas Music" - Pageantry, spectacle and over the top !

~G~

Sorry to be a homer (not really :) ) but I gotta disagree on BD's version of Commencement. I have to go with Suncoast 86 on that one... for the very same reasons that you stated for the 91 BD treatment. I just think that the arrangement and performance is better... but maybe because that's the one I "grew up with"....

No argument whatsoever on RCM though... the penultimate opener....

Sorry to be a homer (not really :) ) but I gotta disagree on BD's version of Commencement. I have to go with Suncoast 86 on that one... for the very same reasons that you stated for the 91 BD treatment. I just think that the arrangement and performance is better... but maybe because that's the one I "grew up with"....

No argument whatsoever on RCM though... the penultimate opener....

And I think our version in 1981 was the best of the three (four if you count 77 Freelancers).

Ballet in Brass, anyone?

('74 Madison Scouts)