BAC 2012 Show Preview

From their website.

Although the details are still being finalized, the design team has settled on preliminary source music from (but not limited to) the following selections:

Ottorino Respighi - Pines of Rome

Ottorino Respighi - War Dance from Belkis Queen of Sheba

Zbigniew Preisner - Lacrimosa from Requiem for my friend

Gustav Mahler - Symphony No. 1 (Titan)

These pieces will form the basis of a production with the working title of "The Titans"

(This announcement was made to members of the 2011 Crusader Club prior to the public announcement - just one of the perks of joining the Crusader Club! Details on how to join the 2012 Crusader Club will be available in the next few months.)

"This show allows Boston to continue to be Boston," commented Program Coordinator Brian Murphy. "We will bring an emotional, strong and aggressive production to the field in an accessible package."

The Crusaders begin rehearsals November 19 with the auditions in MA, followed by TX and then a full weekend in Florida November 25-27. Fill out an application here.

• Like 5

So, where does "Conquest" fit in?

I'M JUST KIDDING!!! I am a kidder. :cool:

The corps members seem quite thrilled with this concept. Several of them posted various orchestral recordings of this source material on FB yesterday, and it was slow here at work so I got the chance to listen to much of it. I am old enough where it did evoke some memories of Cavies and Star, both of whom did great work with the Pines of Rome material 25 years ago. Then, it occurred to me that none of these current corps members were even born when these corps did their take on it (now I feel old..again...lol).

I do think that Boston is really making a effort to walk the tightrope of effective programming...that is, selecting literature which is substantial if not historic while still finding melody which is engaging to the fans. If you look at 2009,10,11, and this year as well, that really seems to be the focus. With huge numbers of returning vets in the hornline, this should bode well for BAC in 2012.

Good luck guys!

• Like 3

The corps members seem quite thrilled with this concept. Several of them posted various orchestral recordings of this source material on FB yesterday, and it was slow here at work so I got the chance to listen to much of it. I am old enough where it did evoke some memories of Cavies and Star, both of whom did great work with the Pines of Rome material 25 years ago. Then, it occurred to me that none of these current corps members were even born when these corps did their take on it (now I feel old..again...lol).

I do think that Boston is really making a effort to walk the tightrope of effective programming...that is, selecting literature which is substantial if not historic while still finding melody which is engaging to the fans. If you look at 2009,10,11, and this year as well, that really seems to be the focus. With huge numbers of returning vets in the hornline, this should bode well for BAC in 2012.

Good luck guys!

' Hope Boston does the finale of Respighi's, " Pines of Rome ", instead of the intro of it ( which Star and Cavs once did ). Hawthorne Muchachos did the finale of Respighi's " Pines of Rome " in 75-77, as their opener, and it was very good I thought.

Also, I hope Boston does Mahler's Symphony #1 " Titan " 4, C version ( " Triumph "). The " C- Triumph " ending could potentially be a great closer for them, imo.

Good luck guys!

Hey now, I was alive in 1991! I wasn't exactly watching drum corps yet, but I'm not that young :tongue:

Anyway, I may march Crown, but I'm still really excited to hear what Boston does with this. I'm a sucker for any Mahler, and Pines of Rome is fantastic. Don't know much about the other two pieces, I'll have to look them up on Youtube before the summer.