Where are the Carolina Crown performances on VOD?

The sync rights are the responsibility of the producer of the "synched material" .... in this case that would be either DCI (or whomever actually mastered the discs) ....

the corps pay (or are given permission) for performance rights ....

so, honest question... do these rights cost money? assuming they do, would a show like Crown 2011 cost way more to get the rights for than a show that only has 3 songs in it?

From my experience, permissions to arrange are fairly standard in pricing. Sync rights are not. It depends on the rights holder, and can get ridiculously expensive. (Sometimes in the tens of thousands of dollars.) Really, it depends more on the label and the artist more than the number of songs.

Mike

so, honest question... do these rights cost money? assuming they do, would a show like Crown 2011 cost way more to get the rights for than a show that only has 3 songs in it?

Yes, often the sync rights cost money.

For your second question, it all depends on the music, who holds the rights, how much they're willing to give or sell them for, etc. Some composers will relinquish all rights for nothing, some won't relinquish any rights at all.

thanks for the info...

so, theoretically, DCI has to make a choice on when it gets too expensive? It could be a choice between losing money on the DVDs and not losing money, yes?

Does DCI decide they can afford $X in production costs, and of those production costs, the synch rights are Y%? Then DCI can spend [$X * Y%] / 23 for each corps? And if the synch rights for an individual corps show cost more than their allotted amount, then stuff starts getting left out?

Edited by soccerguy315

thanks for the info...

so, theoretically, DCI has to make a choice on when it gets too expensive? It could be a choice between losing money on the DVDs and not losing money, yes?

Does DCI decide they can afford $X in production costs, and of those production costs, the synch rights are Y%? Then DCI can spend [$X * Y%] / 23 for each corps? And if the synch rights for an individual corps show cost more than their allotted amount, then stuff starts getting left out?

Probably. I imagine there is a breaking point where if the sync rights cost a certain amount it's too cost prohibitive for DCI to include it in the DVDs and it's just cheaper to cut that section out.

I'm curious as to why DCI was able to show fully synced Crown and Cavs videos all summer on the Fan Network, but had to cut sound on the Scouts video. Had the Cavs and Crown sync-rights holders given DCI a tentative yes, while the Scouts sync-rights holders gave DCI a tentative no?

DCI had to edit out most of the preshow for the finals CDs because of the Rihanna parts.

Well, to be what you is you gotta be what you are. That's what everyone remembers about Crown's preshow, right: the four times that Rihanna's words, "I'm a rock star" were sampled? If that's really where the trouble lies, I hope DCI's solution was simply to mute those six seconds.

I'm curious as to why DCI was able to show fully synced Crown and Cavs videos all summer on the Fan Network, but had to cut sound on the Scouts video. Had the Cavs and Crown sync-rights holders given DCI a tentative yes, while the Scouts sync-rights holders gave DCI a tentative no?

Internet streaming is a different set of rights than syncing audio and video on a DVD for sale.

Well, to be what you is you gotta be what you are. That's what everyone remembers about Crown's preshow, right: the four times that Rihanna's words, "I'm a rock star" were sampled?

FWIW I don't remember that at all (Rihanna's sample). I'm curious to see the Blu-rays and see how much it is noticeably altered to me. I remember Crown's We Will Rock You sample (is that still there?), the drum solos, the guitar thing, etc. but I don't remember the Rihanna sample at all.

That could be (tentative yes). Could also be that DCI & those rights holders were negotiating in good faith and got a definitive not recently. It could be that DCI still hadn't heard back from the rights holders and took the safe route by altering the videos and FN.