The DCI Birthday party

A lot of my anger at DCI over the years can be pinned upon the G-7 and the direction they were pushing DCI towards. Now that they’ve shown their true colors and confirmed much of what I suspected in the worst possible way, the majority of my dissatisfaction is at the G-7.

So by acting like total puds the G-7 put a lot of my heat on them and took it off DCI

• Like 3

Is the firestorm over?

Is it safe for the old Troll to come out from under the bridge?

Interesting posts, folks. Nice to see those juices boiling. Just let me say that nothing I could ever say or do would be as disrespectful of DCI as the internal G7 uprising.

• Like 2

Bert: Why reveal that now?

who?

No more yankee my wankee! The Donger need food!

The problem is, to attract new fans and retain old ones; the activity has to be entertaining EVERY year. Some of the evolution within the activity was natural and didn't change the activity fundamentally, guard's migrating to dance and drill design, others were forced and changed the fundamentals of DC, the pit, amps and the addition of keyboards. Funny, but the natural changes really didn't affect the cost of doing business, yet the forced changes have added significant costs to the activity. Ten years ago who in the activity would see the eventual need for corps to have a sound engineer on staff. DCI's preoccupation with the national tour model and the forced changes led to the destruction of smaller local corps, which further eroded the fan base. If the DCI member corps were fully dependent on revenue from ticket sales, I guarantee many of these forced changes would be long gone and the activity would be better for it.

I think DCI has realized that.Did you follow the Cesario stuff on here and on DCi's site this past year? I did, plus I'veheard him give that speech before...but people are listening!!

and...gasp.....some of the electronic stuff added to the shows! some didn't. But guess what...some of the accoustic stuff BITD did the same thing in either direction. Please, don't tell me with a straight face that you loved every single corps every single year sayin the 70's. As I look back on the decade, I can tell you I liked shows in 75 and 76, as well as 79 far more then 77 and 78.

80s....years I loved the whole top 12: 82, 84, 86,87, 89

Look I've been a vocal opponent of the electronics, mainly because I knew a) usage would suck, especially early on and b) judges would giveit a free pass. But you can't dent some usage of it has been outstanding. Now sure, the hot new sound effect of the Millenium Falcon flying by gets old, but some other uses were fantastic and added to the show.

Or are you one of those guys that #####ed when they set the tympani down and people began pedal tuning as opposed to hand cranking for everynote?

Yes it's great business sense to retain and add. No genius iq needed there, and DCI has finally grasped that...but even better....some fans that walked gave it one more shot and came back. Imagine that!!

maybe what they are doing now is slowly working? shocking I know

• Like 3

You apparently haven't been to Broadway lately. Some of this Broadway generation's greatest hits represented significant departures from the past. Phantom of the Opera relied importantly on technology and special effects to make the production what it was. Lion King essentially substituted puppets for people on stage, a change that set the stage for robots and technology in contemporary productions such as Spiderman. And of course we can't forget that no Broadway musicals have been accoustic in a long time. All mic their singers/actors. Beyond Broadway, some production use recorded music, regrettably.

It goes beyond Broadway too. I've been to a couple of ballets the past couple of seasons where the dancers spokes and sang (mic'ed of course) - something unheard in a previous generations.

The sports analogy is weak too. In baseball, the 20-game winner is rare because the game has evolved with specialized pitching roles. Other records are being warped by the designated hitter rule. Basketball and football approaches have evolved significantly. A quick glance at the record books with their imbalance toward the current makes that clear.

It's all changing. Television. Movies. Broadway. Ballet. Sports. Drum corps. Everything changes. Buy a ticket or don't. Just don't pretend heaven ordained drum corps as exempt when it's not.

HH

look at the West Side revival...now the Sharks speak Spanish ( as opposed to English with bad Puerto Rican accents)

• Like 1

Is the firestorm over?

Interesting posts, folks. Nice to see those juices boiling. Just let me say that nothing I could ever say or do would be as disrespectful of DCI as the internal G7 uprising.

that's not a total system issue though. thats 7 ( or depending on who you listen to, 5 and 2 maybes) individuals.

• Like 1

Is the firestorm over?

Man, this guy really hates that team from Rosemont!

• Like 1

In a recent Post on farcebook to my Brothers in the Classic Cavaliers, I said

"So...2012 marks the 40th Anniversary (or 41st; DCI is not famous for being good with numbers; - i.e. "Samurai", " "Mad World", "XtraordinarY") of the formation of DCI. And we are asked to participate in some sort of celebration of the birth of a monster that Dr. Frankenstein would have aborted. Ask Don Warren what he thinks of this abomination he helped create. While I realize that more of you marched DCI than we "Dinosaurs" (and we get fewer annually), you can't honestly tell me that it was the ultimate Drum Corps dream as initially hoped. It turned my Corps into a multi-million $ money hungry entity continually begging for every red cent anyone could offer. Celebrate DCI? I would sooner (get ready for a gross exaggeration) host a Hitler Retrospective in Jerusalem. I cannot, in good conscience, be part of any event in its honor - nor be a member of an organization that would, no matter how politically expedient that may be."

I fully expect Flames Galore from them...and you. But one of the advantages of approaching the Finish Line is the Knowledge that you left it all out on the field, holding nothing back.

Tired of my "Rants"? Be patient, kids. I'll soon be among so many Brothers & Sisters in that Ultimate Corps....."Somewhere Over The Rainbow".

I think the G7 event was the best thing to happen to DCI in since they switched to Bb. without the G7 event, 2011 would have been another lame year but the G7 event made 2011 one of the best summers for DCI ever. More G7 please!!!

• Like 4