The DCI Birthday party

In a recent Post on farcebook to my Brothers in the Classic Cavaliers, I said

"So...2012 marks the 40th Anniversary (or 41st; DCI is not famous for being good with numbers; - i.e. "Samurai", " "Mad World", "XtraordinarY") of the formation of DCI. And we are asked to participate in some sort of celebration of the birth of a monster that Dr. Frankenstein would have aborted. Ask Don Warren what he thinks of this abomination he helped create. While I realize that more of you marched DCI than we "Dinosaurs" (and we get fewer annually), you can't honestly tell me that it was the ultimate Drum Corps dream as initially hoped. It turned my Corps into a multi-million $ money hungry entity continually begging for every red cent anyone could offer. Celebrate DCI? I would sooner (get ready for a gross exaggeration) host a Hitler Retrospective in Jerusalem. I cannot, in good conscience, be part of any event in its honor - nor be a member of an organization that would, no matter how politically expedient that may be."

I fully expect Flames Galore from them...and you. But one of the advantages of approaching the Finish Line is the Knowledge that you left it all out on the field, holding nothing back.

Tired of my "Rants"? Be patient, kids. I'll soon be among so many Brothers & Sisters in that Ultimate Corps....."Somewhere Over The Rainbow".

You obviously have a problem with DCI, so you decide to come on DCP (full of the most hard-core fans there are) to voice your opinion? If you don't like the activity, just stay off the forums and leave them to people who do.... It's that simple.

• Like 2

I in no way mean to disrespect the talent, energy, and performance of the brilliant young Artists who march & have marched in the DCI era. Rather, it's the organization itself I dislike. Hell, even some DCI Member Corps are unhappy with it, hence G7 (or 8, I'm still not clear on that).

And without DCI, we'd probably be reduced to 400 smaller neighborhood Corps filled with untalented street kids learning some new Arts, Teamwork, and Discipline, forging friendships that last a lifetime, and creating Allegiance to a group that goes further than a Summer entry on their resumes. What a terrifying concept!

Ask yourself this, BITD how much did Drum Corps Executives - like Don Warren - get paid? What great fortunes did Sal Ferrera, Lenny Piekarski, & Larry McCormick amass as they guided a Chicago Corps to multiple Championships?

My beef has never been with the young men & women who perform in DCI. It's with the organization, greedy and more dedicated to their personal agendas than to the young people they purport to represent. Drum Corps are fast becoming some weird Band hybrids, the Tradition disdained by the current Administration. The only REAL Corps left can only be found in DCA/Alumni Corps.

Commemorate DCI? Sure - let's all wear Black armbands.

And forgive me for pointing out that the Emperor is naked.

Edited by AmFlag61
  • Like 3

I in no way mean to disrespect the talent, energy, and performance of the brilliant young Artists who march & have marched in the DCI era. Rather, it's the organization itself I dislike....

Oh please. First you show disrespect for DCI. Now you're showing disrespect for us.

We got it right the first time. You can deny it all you want but you don't respect drum corps anymore. That's DCI, the corps and the kids.

Do me this favor. Let me return the favor. The next time you and your Classic Cavies cubby plan an anniversary, point it out here on DCP. I'll have a few important things to say to you. No disrespect to anyone else, of course.

HH

• Like 3

I in no way mean to disrespect the talent, energy, and performance of the brilliant young Artists who march & have marched in the DCI era. Rather, it's the organization itself I dislike. Hell, even some DCI Member Corps are unhappy with it, hence G7 (or 8, I'm still not clear on that).

And without DCI, we'd probably be reduced to 400 smaller neighborhood Corps filled with untalented street kids learning some new Arts, Teamwork, and Discipline, forging friendships that last a lifetime, and creating Allegiance to a group that goes further than a Summer entry on their resumes. What a terrifying concept!

It seems that you're too bitter to see reality, or even other possibilities. What if the VFW and AL retained control in 1972. Isn't it equally possible that those organizers could have let drum corps wither and die as their balance sheets shrank? Do you know of a veterans association that is as financially strong today (and willing to support a drum corps activity) as it was back in 1970? It's equally probably that BOA or some other marching band organizer could have picked up drum corps, folded into other community bands, and morphed it out of existence all together. One good fantasy deserves another.

Ask yourself this, BITD how much did Drum Corps Executives - like Don Warren - get paid? What great fortunes did Sal Ferrera, Lenny Piekarski, & Larry McCormick amass as they guided a Chicago Corps to multiple Championships?

My beef has never been with the young men & women who perform in DCI. It's with the organization, greedy and more dedicated to their personal agendas than to the young people they purport to represent. Drum Corps are fast becoming some weird Band hybrids, the Tradition disdained by the current Administration. The only REAL Corps left can only be found in DCA/Alumni Corps.

Citation of facts, please because this is a pretty stern contention. In reality, take one of the "highly-paid" corps directors (you can search the 990's) and you'll see what their income is. I don't think you'll find any millionaires created on the backs of the marching kids. Further, if a director is taking $100,000 out of a million dollar corps budget so he can live a life I don't begrudge him because what he gives back to the MM's with the other $900-thousand dollars is worth that, in my book. If a corps can't feed its kids and he was living off the corps I'd have a problem.

Umm, doesn't DCA use substantially all of the "modern" tools that DCI corps use? Or are you talking about the Civil War version of DCA?

Commemorate DCI? Sure - let's all wear Black armbands.

And forgive me for pointing out that the Emperor is naked.

And you're here why, again?

• Like 2

I am 51 and enjoy drum corps every bit as much as I did back in the 70's.....so why does this AmFlag guy make me feel like some sort of irresponsible teenager who doesn't get it?

I would rather be run over by Blue Devils equipment truck full of chairs and mirrors and pvc pipes than become such a bitter old man.

Bring on 2012!~ :cool:

• Like 8

Know what? You're all right.

I'll go away now and leave you inmates in charge of this asylum.

But I will try to get a Blue Devils itinerary so you can all lay down in the road.

Edited by AmFlag61
  • Like 4

First & foremost, they are not "My" Classic Cavaliers. My opinions in no way reflect them. As a matter of fact about 85% of them are DCI era vets who strongly disagree with me.

Secondly, who is this "us" you claim to represent? You lack the courage to use your real name, "HH', and have no credentials showing. But that's the Troll style isn't it? So come out into the daylight or just grumble softly under your bridge.

Now this is about me? In addition to disrespecting drum corps in general, you try to disparage me because my name isn't visible? Seriously? It's Howard Hoffman. And the only thing legitimately disparaging you can say about me in this regard is that I'm trying to have an intelligent discussion with someone who can't.

As for you and the Cavaliers and the distance you're trying to put between, it's not looking good.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 3

We probably all have a gripe or two from the last 40 years. That's okay BUT remember...the kids that make up the corps today (IMO) work harder than we did in the 70's. Their musicianship is far superior than what was happening in the 70's (toss in the 60's and 50's too). There have been changes that don't go over well but in the end...it makes the activity current.

I love watching the alumni corps for what they bring to a contest or parade, but nothing will beat watching what these kids in drum corps do today.

If we live in the past, then maybe that Hitler party would be normal. I, for one, look forward to the future (although not the DEATH part).

Grab your recordings and silent movies of your day, get some popcorn and a Coke and sit back and enjoy BUT don't "Rain on Our Parade!"

• Like 1

Try to smile... It's not all good in DCI, but the good far, far outweighs the bad, IMO.

I butt heads and debate with a lot of folks on here, and there is plenty of disagreement when it comes to favorites, ideals, rankings, etc.

But one thing that I try to pride myself on, is that there ARE great things happening in every single corps. I see them frequently from students who march, friends that teach, colleagues who design & direct, etc. I see the positives from marching members of corps I competed fiercely against acting like great role models to younger or uninitiated fans. I see it in the work ethics of staff members of my HS band who are current marching members in DCI corps. Heck, I met my wife of (almost) 13 years via drum corps, still talk frequently with people I marched with, and even talk occasionally to people I've never really met but know as brothers or sisters of my corps who marched before or after me.

Trends (wildly) change, business models, philosophies, styles, etc change over time in any artistic activity. NONE of that is what makes drum corps a great experience for young men and women. Whether you marched in the 1930's, 60's, 90's, 2010's, or later the underlining thread from member-member are the shared experiences, the trials, the growth, the bonding, etc within a drum corps season: not how much you toured, where you placed, how many valves are on your horn, what key your horn was in, if you marched symmetrical drill with your bell set, if you marched a free floating high tension snare w/kevlar head, etc. All of that other "junk" are just tools of a specific generation: the experience and bonding, etc are the real key aspects of our activity.

And in that regard our activity is alive and well and positively changing lives annually.

• Like 1

It seems that you're too bitter to see reality, or even other possibilities.

I think this sums it up pretty good.

Citation of facts, please because this is a pretty stern contention. In reality, take one of the "highly-paid" corps directors (you can search the 990's) and you'll see what their income is. I don't think you'll find any millionaires created on the backs of the marching kids. Further, if a director is taking $100,000 out of a million dollar corps budget so he can live a life I don't begrudge him because what he gives back to the MM's with the other $900-thousand dollars is worth that, in my book. If a corps can't feed its kids and he was living off the corps I'd have a problem.

Perhaps he has a problem with his own corps? Or perhaps he REALLY doesn't know what he's talking about (the more likely story I would guess) and is just spouting very broad criticism based on zero facts.

I would guess if you looked at, say, what Hopkins makes annually from The Cadets/YEA, and divide it to figure out what he makes hourly based on all of the work he puts in, I would bet it's a best "reasonable," and at worst depressing. I did something like that once several years back (I'm a teacher), and it really was just a bit depressing, though reminds me that I do this not for a paycheck but to bring a music education & performance opportunities to kids. I'd bet money that Hopkin's annual pay divided by hours he puts in to running things would not be near the offensive (to the OP) amount someone naive would think it is.