The DCI Birthday party

In a recent Post on farcebook to my Brothers in the Classic Cavaliers, I said

"So...2012 marks the 40th Anniversary (or 41st; DCI is not famous for being good with numbers; - i.e. "Samurai", " "Mad World", "XtraordinarY") of the formation of DCI. And we are asked to participate in some sort of celebration of the birth of a monster that Dr. Frankenstein would have aborted. Ask Don Warren what he thinks of this abomination he helped create. While I realize that more of you marched DCI than we "Dinosaurs" (and we get fewer annually), you can't honestly tell me that it was the ultimate Drum Corps dream as initially hoped. It turned my Corps into a multi-million $ money hungry entity continually begging for every red cent anyone could offer. Celebrate DCI? I would sooner (get ready for a gross exaggeration) host a Hitler Retrospective in Jerusalem. I cannot, in good conscience, be part of any event in its honor - nor be a member of an organization that would, no matter how politically expedient that may be."

I fully expect Flames Galore from them...and you. But one of the advantages of approaching the Finish Line is the Knowledge that you left it all out on the field, holding nothing back.

Tired of my "Rants"? Be patient, kids. I'll soon be among so many Brothers & Sisters in that Ultimate Corps....."Somewhere Over The Rainbow".

• Like 5

I fully expect Flames Galore from them...and you.

Well, then; I'm guessing you won't be disappointed.

May I have your piece of the anniversary cake?

• Like 5

In a recent Post on farcebook to my Brothers in the Classic Cavaliers, I said

"So...2012 marks the 40th Anniversary (or 41st; DCI is not famous for being good with numbers; - i.e. "Samurai", " "Mad World", "XtraordinarY") of the formation of DCI. And we are asked to participate in some sort of celebration of the birth of a monster that Dr. Frankenstein would have aborted. Ask Don Warren what he thinks of this abomination he helped create. While I realize that more of you marched DCI than we "Dinosaurs" (and we get fewer annually), you can't honestly tell me that it was the ultimate Drum Corps dream as initially hoped. It turned my Corps into a multi-million $ money hungry entity continually begging for every red cent anyone could offer. Celebrate DCI? I would sooner (get ready for a gross exaggeration) host a Hitler Retrospective in Jerusalem. I cannot, in good conscience, be part of any event in its honor - nor be a member of an organization that would, no matter how politically expedient that may be."

I fully expect Flames Galore from them...and you. But one of the advantages of approaching the Finish Line is the Knowledge that you left it all out on the field, holding nothing back.

Tired of my "Rants"? Be patient, kids. I'll soon be among so many Brothers & Sisters in that Ultimate Corps....."Somewhere Over The Rainbow".

Oh, I don't know...

Something like 4000 shows to enjoy

Something like 500,000 marching members experienced the roar of the crowd

Something like $200-million spent on-balance sheet (and if you know anything about the economic theory of money-multipliers, you know that's about $2-billion in capital creation)

Immeasurable dollars of corporate sponsorship capital generated

The Legacy Collection (I ain't got no "Legacy" collection of pre-DCI drum corps!)

I could go on and on but, generally, I think this eclipses several times the impact of pre-DCI.

That's just me, but I'm not as close to the end of the line as you apparently are.

cur·mudg·eon/kərˈməjən/

Noun:A bad-tempered or surly person.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 7

Well, then; I'm guessing you won't be disappointed.

May I have your piece of the anniversary cake?

Well we need flames to light the candles.... :devil:

Dear garfield, 20 years from now, when they've butchered YOUR concept of the "Activity", somebody will call you a curmudgeon for being "surly".

P.S. Love the avatar! They don't make them like John any more. And, btw, our "Legacy Collection" lives in our hearts, minds, and Fleetwood.

Edited by AmFlag61
  • Like 2

Dear garfield, 20 years from now, when they've butchered YOUR concept of the "Activity", somebody will call you a curmudgeon for being "surly".

P.S. Love the avatar! They don't make them like John any more. And, btw, our "Legacy Collection" lives in our hearts, minds, and Fleetwood.

They already have, old friend. I was there in '72 to see the beginning. While it's not the 60's version, what originally attracted me is long gone, made better, made different.

The difference is that I see the activity's core mission as being solidly in place, even if you don't. In my view, anyone who's watched the kid's faces as they come off the field knows that the activity is far from "butchered".

Sorry to disagree with your perception, but I've accepted the changes and still see the activity in a positive light. You choose to focus on what was; so be it.

I only wish you could view it through my lens so you could still get that old enjoyment back. Too bad to die a curmudgeon, don't ya' think?

I'm a huge fan of the old movies and, although Garfield was not my favorite, he did some great work and provided me with an avatar that most people don't get (even fooled the famed Mr. Boo, so the line is long and distinguished).

Try to smile... It's not all good in DCI, but the good far, far outweighs the bad, IMO.

• Like 6

There is still WAY more positive than negative coming out of the drum corps activity. To tear it down, and the hard work the kids put in and the joy they get out of it, is irresponsible.

Edited by ibexpercussion
  • Like 6

...I would sooner (get ready for a gross exaggeration) host a Hitler Retrospective in Jerusalem. I cannot, in good conscience, be part of any event in its honor - nor be a member of an organization that would, no matter how politically expedient that may be...

Don't let us stand in your way. Host that "Hitler Retrospective." There probably are some lessons you can learn.

HH

Don't let us stand in your way. Host that "Hitler Retrospective." There probably are some lessons you can learn.

HH

:hehe::laughing::lol: