The DCI Birthday party

I already contributed a couple of what I thought to be sensible posts to this thread. Just like you and many others. Each time the OP comes back and says the same thing. Again and again and again. Not much point in responding seriously to this thread if he won't even acknowledge and respond to what the rest of us are saying.

Anyways, if you read the sig line of the poster I responded to you'll see why I responded the way I did.

Oops, I missed it.

Please consider my snarkiness now retracted.

And I fixed that red negative thing, too.

I already contributed a couple of what I thought to be sensible posts to this thread. Just like you and many others. Each time the OP comes back and says the same thing. Again and again and again. Not much point in responding seriously to this thread if he won't even acknowledge and respond to what the rest of us are saying.

Anyways, if you read the sig line of the poster I responded to you'll see why I responded the way I did.

I apologize.

And hey, I ignore signatures most of the time. Why? I just do.

But...if no point responding seriously, why reply at all?

It gives my mind a short break from grading papers. I try not to make many throwaway posts, though.

I can deal with that. I try to throw the occasional good one in between the throwaways :tongue:

My original intent in creating this Thread was to express my Personal opinion. Did I expect Flames? Of course. Did I expect Personal attacks? Sure, this is DCP, that PVC loving Forum that relishes in Hatred. But the level of responses here, on farcebook, emails, etc. has blown me away. Here's my basic premise - like the Frankenstein story, the creator(s) had no idea of the Monster they created. However well intentioned their actions, it's gone far beyond their wildest dreams. Did DCI save Drum Corps, as so many of you believe? Of course, IF you accept that this current "Activity" is really "Drum Corps". I'm reminded of a statement from Viet Nam - "We had to destroy that Village in order to save it."

This is, of course, only a Fossil's (long past Dinosaur) OPINION. I could be wrong, but...I don't believe I am.

Cheers to you all, keep up the Discussion.

I still don't understand your concept... you make it seem like DCI is ruining the lives of many... but in reality the purpose of what drum corps used to be is still around... remember the old saying "To get the kids off the streets"? Yeah, thats still around! These kids want to march, learn, and stay out of trouble. I hate to take offense to this but I have a few very close friends that march drum corps... either it be The Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Santa Clara Vanguard, Blue Devils, and Revolution they all share a same passion of music, emotion, and most of all to learn. So maybe you think DCI takes things away... I highly disagree with you... nothing can ever beat seeing two people I know from The Cavaliers and BD hug each other after a major regional. The awards from DCI is something far more above a championship. I hope you have a great holiday season...

• Like 2

OK, I'm old(er) and have had some flames going back and forth my way with my comments here but will say something out loud. And wait till it gets colder if anyone flames, I could use the help with my fuel oil bill. :ph34r:

Seriously, there are things I don't like with todays DC and that goes for both DCA and DCI. That and $5 MIGHT get me Starbucks coffee which I'm not a fan of anyway. BUT there is one thing about todays Drum Corps that I'm VERY thankful for. That thing is... IT'S STILL AROUND. There are people who will go to support the current version (audience/marchers/helpers) and hopefully there is still enough interest that it will continue. And again, if I'm not one of the people going, so freakin' what? Hope Drum Corps (DCA/DCI/Alumni-type/Mini/etc) continues in all forms as I think all forms need to be around for a healthy activity. Considering about 20 years ago I predicted corps would be dead by 2000-2005 (various historical and personal observation reasons which could be another thread) I'm just glad it's still here in any form. And yes once in a while I put my $$$ where my big yap is, I just pick exactly where it goes.

We can argue what effect (good or bad) the changes over the last couple of decades have had on the activity (Hell that's half the fun here). But let's be honest and realize no one really knows unless they can tap into that Marvel Comics alternate universe thingee...

If anyone thinks it's strange that I wish DCI continues even though I don't go to shows, look at it this way. I don't go to anything dealing with Scouts, my old church, HS activities (MB/sports/etc), local MB, etc, etc but I certainly don't wish they would go away just because my interest in them went away over the decades. And some of them remember where I live when it comes time for fund raising....

There's how to represent an opinion respectfully and clean that had the potential to be pretty disruptive. :) I respect this a lot more than the original post. :thumbup:

You go Glenn Coco! (Prize if you get the reference. :tongue: )

Okay - I love the original concept of DCI, just hate the result. I could create a Thread "I love DCI, think it's the best thing since Buddha" and still get flamed. And btw this is a Corps Forum, not an exclusive DCI Forum. just so happens that Corps today are a part of DCI. And therein lies the problem; the Corps are NOT DCI as some like to claim. DCI has taken a life unto itself, IMO, the Corps are only a part of the Business scheme.

I want you to hit "repy" to this post. Then look just above the text entry area. What do you see? If you're so blind that you don't clearly see that this thread is located in the "DCI World Class Corps Discussions" section, you're probably too blind to enjoy drum corps anyway. Are you dumb?

This IS a DCI forum; and a World Class-specific one at that.

I know you're old but I didn't think you were blind as well!

• Like 4