Favorite Glassmen Show Ever

Favorite Glassmen show ever?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Glassmen show?

• 1993- "A Voyage Through Imagination" Overture, Morning Sun On The Sails, The Lion's Breath, The North Wind, Sailing
    • 1994- "Days of Future Past" Dawn, Another Morning, Peak Hour, Tuesday Afternoon, Night In White Satin
    • 1995- "A Joyful Celebration" Little Fugue in G Minor, Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring, Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee, A Mighty Fortress
    • 1997- "The Age of Gold: The Music of Georges Bizet" Scene And Variations, Changing Of The Guard (from Carmen), Intermezzo: The Mountain Pass, Farandole
    • 1998- "Dreams of Gold: The Music of Alexander Borodin" Asia Fantasia, Prince Igor Overture, Notturno (from String Quartet No. 2 in D Major), Kismet Suite, Polovetsian Dances (From Prince Igor)
    • 1999- "Empire of Gold: The Music of Zoltan Kodaly" Symphony No. 1, Variations On A Hungarian Folksong, Entrance Of The Emperor And His Court (from Hary Janos Suite)
    • 2000- "Music of George Gershwin" Piano Concerto in F
    • 2001- "IMAGO" Invocation To The Powerful Saints (from Panambi), Pampeana No. 3: Impetuosamente, Conertino for Oboe and Strings, Dance Of The Warriors (from Panambi), Pavana (from Tres Versiones Sinfónica)
    • 2002- "Odyssey" Javelin, Milennium Symphony
    • 2004- "Voice of One" Prologue Serenade for Orchestra, The Saint (from Seraphic Dialogues), The Cave, Finale For Martha
    • 2005- "A New World" New World Symphony
    • 2006- "Beethoven: Mastery and Madness" Selections from Symphonies 1-8, Moonlight Sonata, Diabelli Variations, Ode To Joy (from Symphony No. 9)
    • 2007- "Gitano" Gitano Espagnol, Alborada, La Noche, Danzas, Fandango
    • 2008- "Kar-ne-vel" Carnival is Over, The Breakfast Machine from Big Top Pee Wee, Overture, Watermark, Beirut Taxi
    • 2009- "The Journey of ONE" The Multiples of One, You Are Wherever Your Thoughts Are, The Heart Asks Pleasure First (from The Piano), Tristan and Yvaine (from Stardust), The Multiples of One, Joy (from Awakening), One
    • 2010- "The Prayer Cycle" Mercy (from The Prayer Cycle), Primacy of Number (from Naqoyqatsi), Terminal Hope (from The Prayer Cycle), Epiphanies (from Fanfare & Chorales), We're All Jungle Creatures (from The Lion in Winter)

I am not familiar with them prior to 2003. I voted for 2007, they only year their horn line has sounded good in my opinion. They had some power, but also played pretty well in tune with good sounds and some impressive technical and musical moments.

I am not familiar with them prior to 2003. I voted for 2007, they only year their horn line has sounded good in my opinion. They had some power, but also played pretty well in tune with good sounds and some impressive technical and musical moments.

wow...you need to check them out 97-02 are epic in Glassmen history. Awesome music, powerful hornlines, top tier drumlines and eye popping visual and drill!

• Like 3

wow...you need to check them out 97-02 are epic in Glassmen history. Awesome music, powerful hornlines, top tier drumlines and eye popping visual and drill!

Drum Corps World said we were the loudest hornline in DCI in 1998 :)

Yep, very powerful horn lines on G-bugles prior to 2000.

We were still on G's in 2000 (my last year). I believe the corps was on Gs all the way through 2002.

We were still on G's in 2000 (my last year). I believe the corps was on Gs all the way through 2002.

I am pretty sure they switched to B flat in 2002. 2001 was the last year on G's I think.

• Like 1

I've always felt that while I love their 1993 show (like I previously said, thanks to them we got the source album and used "Sailing" in our wedding - my kids still use Morning Sun on the Sails as part of their bedtime music), their 1992 show (The North Wind, Madre de la Tierra a nd Escapades of Pan) was actually a better all-around design and performance. It had more (and slightly darker) energy and a much, much tighter brassline. Of course, in '93 the pressure was off of them for Finals, and I think that translated into a looser show.

If you've never heard the "Gold" years of 97-99, they're absolutely worth a listen. The Bizet show in '97 was a delight to see and hear - very conventionally classical, and the ladders... oh, the ladders! '98 was a step sideways in show design, I think, but a huge upgrade in talent and performance. And the '99 show really put the whole thing together with an incredibly sophisticated show that they pulled off in a hum-while-you-drive-home fashion. The '99 show would get my vote for best Glassmen show I never saw live. (honorable mention goes to the 2010 show - I thought The Prayer Cycle was a fun, conventional "drum corps" type show from a neat set of unconventional music.)

I have to say, though, my favorite live performance was their 2008 Kar-ne-val show. It takes real work to make something look both easy and spontaneous, and they kept it up through the entire show, walking that fine line between bouncy and cheesy. And I love, love, love the ballad that year (Watermark) and the balloons.

Mike

I voted 99, but very close call from 98 & 99, with 95 being not far behind.

Harvey