Restructuring the DCI BOD

If that was true, there would be no such thing as drum corps.

Drum corps are not run with cash?

Who knew?

Come on, audio, every corps in the country is focused on cash.

This whole activity is focused on who can get the next big Chase grant of free money, or who's going to be the next Bill Cook with a big heart and checkbook.

Instead, we should be focusing on how to make it self-supporting so it doesn't have to rely on the gifts of others, or on bingo and begging.

This brings up a good question, Dan. What activities that DCI is now involved in would you remove from their responsibilities?

I am speaking about the DCI board.

They should not get into the details of the rules and all the other minor things... only the things that have clear ties to revenues.... all the rest... task to some other body.

With more cash... you can do a lot better on those points. If you focus first on those points, you're going to have less cash to be able to do it. Money solves a hell of a lot of problems.

money also creates many problems.

I am speaking about the DCI board.

They should not get into the details of the rules and all the other minor things... only the things that have clear ties to revenues.... all the rest... task to some other body.

um, you know BOD's of other business get involved with rules too right?

Edited by Jeff Ream

you're right. focusing on kids safety, entertaining the fans, putting out a good product...none of that means ####

:rolleyes:

You're kind of missing Dan's point there, I think. He's saying divorce the artistic and financial responsibilities of the board, as they're wearing hats from every department right now. Technically, no, the board should *not* care about entertaining the fans. The corps should. DCI / the board should care about putting on profitable and well-attended events, sanctioning a high-powered championship event, creating audio and video products from those events that bring in money for the company and advertising the hell out of the groups and events so that they grow bigger and generate more money.

Let's face it, the "battle of the bands" tour promoter could and should care less if their performing rock bands are using one bass guitarist, two bass guitarists, one acoustic drummer, one electronic drummer, etc. They just want to put on a good show, make folks spend money and come back whenever the tour may swing round again. I'm down with this - let the corps directors themselves determine how their activity develops inside the yardlines. But for god's sake, let's bring in the professionals to make sure the business of drum corps grows.

Mike

• Like 3

You're kind of missing Dan's point there, I think. He's saying divorce the artistic and financial responsibilities of the board, as they're wearing hats from every department right now. Technically, no, the board should *not* care about entertaining the fans. The corps should. DCI / the board should care about putting on profitable and well-attended events, sanctioning a high-powered championship event, creating audio and video products from those events that bring in money for the company and advertising the hell out of the groups and events so that they grow bigger and generate more money.

Let's face it, the "battle of the bands" tour promoter could and should care less if their performing rock bands are using one bass guitarist, two bass guitarists, one acoustic drummer, one electronic drummer, etc. They just want to put on a good show, make folks spend money and come back whenever the tour may swing round again. I'm down with this - let the corps directors themselves determine how their activity develops inside the yardlines. But for god's sake, let's bring in the professionals to make sure the business of drum corps grows.

Mike

Yah, Amen here.

BTW, did you ever notice that the Consigliere was the only brother left after Michael had Fredo killed? And he was smart enough to high-tail out to Vegas before Michael blew a gasket.

If I couldn't be Godfather, I'd want to be Consigliere.

such as?

what to do with it? who gets what share? ya know, that whole g7 thing

Drum corps are not run with cash?

Who knew?

Come on, audio, every corps in the country is focused on cash.

I think you misunderstood me. My comment was that if cash was everyone's sole priority, none of us would be running a drum corps.

This whole activity is focused on who can get the next big Chase grant of free money, or who's going to be the next Bill Cook with a big heart and checkbook.

Instead, we should be focusing on how to make it self-supporting so it doesn't have to rely on the gifts of others, or on bingo and begging.

Indeed, "self-supporting" would be nice. But that's not what this thread is about. This thread, like the other Daniel Ray threads, is about raising money to support drum corps by running a non-drum-corps business.

For drum corps to be self-supporting, we would need to increase revenue and decrease expenses.

Mike

I got his point. And to a point I agree with his point.

but then again, I look at the NFL, and who sits on the tv deals committee? The owners. Who sits in on the competition committee? the owners. Yet funny, it seems to work out justfine for them

oh and the corps ARE the board. so yes, they should care. and if they change that, and corps arent entertaining the fans, and attendance goes down, the board SHOULD care, because it's affecting the financials.