OVER AGE 40 STEREOTYPES

Where did anyone say anything negative about people over 40?. I know one poster used the "old fart" comment in another thread but I haven't read anything else negative at all? I think a large part of the DCA is still largely supportive of that demographic.

Completely support what your saying. Just wondering where this came from.

That poster would be me (talking about fans not marchers btw). Oh yeah -- I learned baritone on a valve and rotor horn in 1978, So I feel perfectly fine talking about old farts :-)

The way I look at it in my day-to-day life, younger people who bemoan older folks should be so lucky to become one someday. That could be translated to DCA as well I suppose.

• Like 1

Where did anyone say anything negative about people over 40?. I know one poster used the "old fart" comment in another thread but I haven't read anything else negative at all? I think a large part of the DCA is still largely supportive of that demographic.

Completely support what your saying. Just wondering where this came from.

C'mon, I've been seeing that particular comment for years, since I've been on DCP and I'm a "mature" rookie.

What's this old fart talk about members over 40 .......... I won 2 DCA best soloist awards ..... my first at age 28 and my second at age 45. And I marched a Michael Gaines written drill at age 46.

WOW you are old!!! :worthy::thumbup::devil::w00t::tongue:

I'm not sure the debate is about people in their 40's. I agree that comes down to a personal choice about your physical fitness. But as you get into your 50's time does take its toll. Having said that, it can be done. There were a few over 50 in MBI last year and I'm working my arse off to be in shape for 2012 at age 56. But the trend in show demand is increasing and while it is not impossible it will become increasingly improbable for people in my age group to remain.

One example is in the added element of dance moves for the hornline. To be done right and look uniform across the line you MUST have good flexibility. That F word is the nemesis of many.

So never say never and keep going as long as you can, but may we all have the wisdom to know when it is time to move on. I hope to have one more year...as always.

What's this old fart talk about members over 40 .......... I won 2 DCA best soloist awards ..... my first at age 28 and my second at age 45. And I marched a Michael Gaines written drill at age 46.

no lawn chair king were you sir!

I'm not sure the debate is about people in their 40's. I agree that comes down to a personal choice about your physical fitness. But as you get into your 50's time does take its toll. Having said that, it can be done. There were a few over 50 in MBI last year and I'm working my arse off to be in shape for 2012 at age 56. But the trend in show demand is increasing and while it is not impossible it will become increasingly improbable for people in my age group to remain.

One example is in the added element of dance moves for the hornline. To be done right and look uniform across the line you MUST have good flexibility. That F word is the nemesis of many.

So never say never and keep going as long as you can, but may we all have the wisdom to know when it is time to move on. I hope to have one more year...as always.

age and a new knee didn't stop Walt Street

I commented on the age stereotype issue over in the Cadets 2 thread when I sensed that some comments were negative regarding over 40's marching competitively. I may have overreacted to some of the statements, but I felt it important to comment because stereotypes affect us all. The youth in the activity don't have the advantage of ever being old to have a balanced perspective regarding the issue. So negative stereotypes about age can have an impact on the status of older members in the minds of the younger ones. Similarly, negative stereotypes can affect the decisions of those being stereotyped because they will feel that they are out of place if they defy the stereotype. What if Curt Hawkins didn't march when he was 46 because he felt that others would think he was too old and out of place? What if Frank Ponzo decided he shouldn't return to competing corps because he is in his 40's? We would have been denied listening to two of the best horn players to ever march in DCA. There are more examples.

I am 63, quite healthy and still marching. I think the youth and the middle aged among us need to hear and see that advancing age is not a sentence. We aren't set on a path of destiny defined by age. We do have free will and the ability to control our lives to some extent. I try to never loose sight of the reality of who and what I am, but I'll be ###### if I let others define that for me through stereotyping. Ok, sorry for venting, but .... never mind, I'll stop there.

Doc

Cabs '03-present

lead trumpet

and a few other corps in the 60's

• Like 2