No place for this

I've heard of hazing before, but this is ridiculous and just pisses me off to no end. Famed or not the whole band program should be discontinued, it just seems like the hazing is too engrained and too much potential for it to continue.

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/national/police-famu-band-member-beaten-face-charges/article_a941fe47-7820-5b9a-83ae-18a1cc363115.html

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Like 1

Director got his firing rescinded and is now on administrative leave, and his lawyer is arguing that that is even a form of punishment and nothing at all should be happening to him.

:shutup:

I'll say this - I went through boot camp at the Naval Academy the same time my friend from HS was pledging a fraternity at a Baptist college, and the stories that he told of what he had to go through were a million times worse than anything I ever experienced. Hazing comes in unconventional packages sometimes.

Mike

Making newbies or freshmen were different colored shirts, or dress in silly ways is good-natured hazing, but this stuff is absolutely ridiculous. I don't necessarily advocate for shutting down the band program, but a complete overhaul of actions, and better oversight of the members and their actions is definitely needed.

• Like 3

Making newbies or freshmen were different colored shirts, or dress in silly ways is good-natured hazing, but this stuff is absolutely ridiculous. I don't necessarily advocate for shutting down the band program, but a complete overhaul of actions, and better oversight of the members and their actions is definitely needed.

It has to be a zero tolerance approach if it's gotten to that level. Anyone involved in hazing of any kind is out of the program forever, and absolute protection for whistle blowers.

• Like 2

It is hard to get many older corps alumni to talk about internal aspects of their particular corps back-in-the-day (loyalty, especially fraternal loyalty); but those who have opened up about those times reveal that this over-the-top hazing was once a part of their own drum corps tradition.

This isn't "hazing"...

This is pure and simple aggravated assault and battery.

• Like 3

When I marched juniors it was mostly just silly stuff. Rookies got their underpants ripped out (males) or had their bras torn off (females) and then had to fly them outside the bus window on the interstate. You knew the vets were going to get ya eventually, you just didn't know when. Merely a recognition that they accepted you as one of their own. We NEVER beat up on fellow corpsmates. That's totally counterproductive and accomplishes absolutetly nothing.

Edited by Piper
  • Like 2

I've been involved with drum corps sine 1977, and I've never seen ANYTHING that even comes close to this type of physical abuse. Some news reports have suggested that it is considered part of the culture of the black college and university band scene....culture or not, it's gonna be lawyer time pretty soon at FAMU.