The future of music

It seems in this modern day, electronic music is becoming much more popular. Music genre's like dubstep, trance, eurohouse, and bass and drum are becoming the face of modern music and are growing a lot of momentum and popularity within the new generation. The question is could a top level drum corps pull this type of genre off? I think it would be a great hurdle to jump but could be done to great avail and possibly open up drum corps to a newer more modern audience. A few corps come to mind that could pull this off like the Cavaliers, Carolina Crown, and especially the Bluecoats. What does dcp think of this idea?

It seems in this modern day, electronic music is becoming much more popular. Music genre's like dubstep, trance, eurohouse, and bass and drum are becoming the face of modern music and are growing a lot of momentum and popularity within the new generation. The question is could a top level drum corps pull this type of genre off? I think it would be a great hurdle to jump but could be done to great avail and possibly open up drum corps to a newer more modern audience. A few corps come to mind that could pull this off like the Cavaliers, Carolina Crown, and especially the Bluecoats. What does dcp think of this idea?

I think it's a terrible idea because almost all of the musical genres you mentioned are rhythm focused, with little (if any) attention paid to melody and harmonics. Certainly there are exceptions in EVERY genre, but the majority of music in the genres you mentioned doesn't have the depth of sound to be able to be arranged and spread out to fit a 150-member drum corps. There would be too much doubling of lines and a very thin overall sound from a large ensemble. A good drum break could be fashioned from these genres, but a whole show? Nah.

Edited by hostrauser
  • Like 3

The types of music you mention don't have a lot of tempo variation or melody, and quite frankly I don't think they are becoming more popular. The are a fringe type of music that is popular for parties and at clubs. If you want to hear what the kids are listening to today, simply tune into the radio.

I could see a corps trying something like this for a small snipet, but 11 minutes of any type of music you mention would send anyone not on ecstasy straight to the hot dog stand.

• Like 2

Wubwubwubbwubwubwubwubwub

And the blue stars 2012 show, dubsteption.

Anyhow, I doubt this will happen, at least in great numbers. Contemporary music hasn't been a big hit in DCI overall. We still get shows playing standards, contemporary classical, etc. But you don't hear funk, disco, alt rock, metal, pop, etc, nearly as often even though music like mahler isn't mainstream. Pop music changes every couple years, but good melodic music is something different.

I would like to see an old greg show though.

Always thought an Aphex Twin show would be interesting. He does some really interesting things when melding rhythm with melody in that genre. As many have mentioned, it would be hard to come up with enough melodic and harmonic content for an entire corps. Its more the kind of thing you would do for indoor percussion when you have a stellar battery.

The only dubstep artists I think that might be able to work on field would be Basshunter (he has melodies.) maybe Deadmau5.

The visual things you could do with dubstep would be great. You also need a BEASTLY tuba line.

I can't see it happening though, except maybe short segments in maybe Cavs or Coats.

Heaven forbid that a corps ever attempts to play this crap music. It's bad enough as it is with all of the terrible samples we have to hear. I'm sorry, but most of today's music is just garbage.

How about a third wave ska show?

I am slowly becoming an electronic music nut, and there are few artists that create music that would translate to the field well, especially with all the repetition.

That being said, check out Infected Mushroom. Lots of melodic material in their rep, and the "Vicious Delicious" album has several tunes that change tempi.