Your 2011 "Most" Awards

hmm maybe im looking at the wrong segment. Is it the segment right before the whammy bar?

If so,

Im watching a video online from July 21st and it is around 170-180 (click met instead of guessing this time)

Did they speed it up coming closer to finals?

I'm sure they did. As many corps bump tempos up as the season goes.

The original sheet music is marked at Quarter Note= 192bpm. We played it severely down-tempo for most of the season (it was hard), and brought it up towards the latter half of the season.

The original sheet music is marked at Quarter Note= 192bpm. We played it severely down-tempo for most of the season (it was hard), and brought it up towards the latter half of the season.

Understandable. I couldnt triple tongue that fast right now haha!

Understandable. I couldnt triple tongue that fast right now haha!

The triple tonguing on individual notes wasn't the hard part. The hard part is that the triple tonguing is three different notes per triplet for much of it, so each triplet would be like "F-Ab-C", so we were changing notes during it, which is much harder than repeatedly triple tonguing the same note. That kind of technique usually takes months to develop in brass players, as you know, so we had to bust our tails in order to make it happen in the time that we were able to accomplish it in.

The triple tonguing on individual notes wasn't the hard part. The hard part is that the triple tonguing is three different notes per triplet for much of it, so each triplet would be like "F-Ab-C", so we were changing notes during it, which is much harder than repeatedly triple tonguing the same note. That kind of technique usually takes months to develop in brass players, as you know, so we had to bust our tails in order to make it happen in the time that we were able to accomplish it in.

I don't know if I agree that it takes months for individuals to learn to do that unless they have no multiple tonguing experience. Luckily, though, you have November to August... Almost a year. And it is nothing that hasn't been done before, which is why i don't understand this discussion

I don't know if I agree that it takes months for individuals to learn to do that unless they have no multiple tonguing experience. Luckily, though, you have November to August... Almost a year. And it is nothing that hasn't been done before, which is why i don't understand this discussion

I never said it hasn't been done before. However, THIS year (2011), no other corps came close in terms of brass book difficulty, if only for this part alone (there were other very difficult parts in the show as well). Also, teaching a line how to triple tongue isn't hard. The hard part is getting 80 brass players to do it in time together. That is why it took all summer.

• Like 1

THIS year (2011), no other corps came close in terms of brass book difficulty,

I disagree.

Even if Crown had "the hardest book" technically, claiming that no one else even came close is an arrogant statement, considering that we are talking about some of the highest quality performing groups in the nation.

• Like 2

Phan89: you're right in that getting 80 brass to triple-tongue together is no small feat. You're wrong in assuming other brass books weren't as hard. Exposed lines, unusual intervals and chord structures can be just as challenging to ensemble sound as technique and speed. Not to mention staging on the field, which can also present huge challenges to good sound.

TheClutch: you're right in that they had a lot of time to work on this and that similar stuff has been done before. You're wrong in belittling an 80-member brass-line triple-tonguing arpeggios at high speed as no big deal.

You're both right, and you're both wrong. Now hush. :glare:

Edited by hostrauser
  • Like 1

You mean where they split up the double tongue passage throughout the hornline? It's a lot easier than you think.

I'll show you a video. Don't think I need to even say anything for it.

PS: The baritone part in that is astounding.