What's with all the hate for BD

Oh Geee! Yeah, like you really gave him a fair opportunity at a less than akward time in a less than akward location to answer your VERY AKWARD "question" (if you can even call it that). Hell, I would turn and walk away from you too. He's in the lot of a fricken DRUM CORPS SHOW! The man is busy and you corner him with a LOADED and CONFRONTATIONAL question which really only serves to give him the 3rd degree? HEY! The man smiled at you and said "I'll do my best". But if you think he's just going to drop everything he is doing to run a drum corps in the middle of a season to answer your LOADED and CONFRONTATIONAL question, you are living under a ROCK! GET REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd at best say that the man was polite in JUST walking away. If it were me I would have started with giving you the BIRD!

Now that sounds like a Blue Devil!!!

Naaah. If I were a Blue Devil, my post would have been all chill and sound more like this....

Yo doooode so like...maybe like Gibbs was like "whoooaaaah dooode, does this guy have a question on directions or somethin...like maybe he needs to go somewhere narly or somethin so maybe I should give em whats up like ya know holmes"...but then you were all like controversial and Gibbs just like "whoooooaaaah dooode...like that's deeep....like I aint got time for all that so peace out holmes".

:bluedevil:

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 3

Why I do not hate BD;

The 1988 BD show was when I was first introduced to them. It was the soundtrack to hype my trumpet section as a High School freshman. In my sophomore, junior, and senior years, it became BD 93. those shows were the "hype" on our bus before shows...Of course none of us could play like those guys. We were all a bunch of posers compared to that sound. But not bad in terms of getting focused and hyped to play our show that evening.

From that point on, I think I have always been entertained and impressed by BD. From their 1975 show on, I have never been underwhelmed. Consistent outstanding brass and brass books. It is is practically automatic, BD will " kick brass " -every -single -year.

Moving to California, was another understanding of the corps and the organization. Marching with ex BD in Kingsmen 07 and Renegades- or seeing the alums at Walniut, Riverside, Stockton, etc...and seeing how they support the corps (SCV included) This gave me another appreciation of the organization. Before moving there, I never viewed California with a rich alumni tradition.. In 2007, that changed everything I thought before.

Lastly, Blue Devils C. If you have seen them perform in California- you know what I mean. Tne crowds love seeing them as much as the A corps, or really any corps.

I had the same exact experience when I marched with the dark ones in 03-04. Just a fantastic group of people. And I'm talking about some of the BD immortals! However, as far as the 'Gades are concerned, that can be said of the alumni from any corps represented... the Pride of Cincinnati, VF, The Dons, Mandarins, Freelancers, VK, Kingsmen, Cavies, SCV, Star, SoA, Madison, Crossmen, 2-7... all of them were class acts.

Edited by skajerk

Why I do not hate BD;

The 1988 BD show was when I was first introduced to them. It was the soundtrack to hype my trumpet section as a High School freshman. In my sophomore, junior, and senior years, it became BD 93. those shows were the "hype" on our bus before shows...Of course none of us could play like those guys. We were all a bunch of posers compared to that sound. But not bad in terms of getting focused and hyped to play our show that evening.

From that point on, I think I have always been entertained and impressed by BD. From their 1975 show on, I have never been underwhelmed. Consistent outstanding brass and brass books. It is is practically automatic, BD will " kick brass " -every -single -year.

Moving to California, was another understanding of the corps and the organization. Marching with ex BD in Kingsmen 07 and Renegades- or seeing the alums at Walniut, Riverside, Stockton, etc...and seeing how they support the corps (SCV included) This gave me another appreciation of the organization. Before moving there, I never viewed California with a rich alumni tradition.. In 2007, that changed everything I thought before.

Lastly, Blue Devils C. If you have seen them perform in California- you know what I mean. Tne crowds love seeing them as much as the A corps, or really any corps.

Great post!

Naaah. If I were a Blue Devil, my post would have been all chill and sound more like this....

Yo doooode so like...maybe like Gibbs was like "whoooaaaah dooode, does this guy have a question on directions or somethin...like maybe he needs to go somewhere narly or somethin so maybe I should give em whats up like ya know holmes"...but then you were all like controversial and Gibbs just like "whoooooaaaah dooode...like that's deeep....like I aint got time for all that so peace out holmes".

:bluedevil:

Well, I did see plenty of middle fingers from many in BD toward another corps while standing near the stadium corps entrance/exit ramp a short while after the final scores were announced in 2008!

• Like 1

Well, I did see plenty of middle fingers from many in BD toward another corps while standing near the stadium corps entrance/exit ramp a short while after the final scores were announced in 2008!

Hey seriously though. Think real hard about what you did. You could ask your question as "politely" as you want but to view this from Dave Gibbs shoes....viewing you as a complete stranger stopping me in public with a controversial question like that, I (or anyone) would see your "question" as for no other purpose than to start trouble or create an argument. Sure, talk to him if you are really wanting answers but there is a time, a place and a way to do it appropriately and THAT was not it AT ALL. So no, I'm not surprised he responded the way he did. I would have too.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

Hey seriously though. Think real hard about what you did. You could ask your question as "politely" as you want but to view this from Dave Gibbs shoes....viewing you as a complete stranger stopping me in public with a controversial question like that, I (or anyone) would see your "question" as for no other purpose than to start trouble or create an argument. Sure, talk to him if you are really wanting answers but there is a time, a place and a way to do it appropriately and THAT was not it AT ALL. So no, I'm not surprised he responded the way he did. I would have too.

Granted; if you look at it in his shoes. However, try to also look at it from my shoes. He was an architect of a proposal which would have destroyed, yes destroyed a corps in which I am involved with. I tried various ways to contact him, many of them, prior to the polite face to face approach; all I sought was a legitimate answer to a simple question. Why? because I have a vested interest in a corps he wants to eliminate.

• Like 1

Granted; if you look at it in his shoes. However, try to also look at it from my shoes. He was an architect of a proposal which would have destroyed, yes destroyed a corps in which I am involved with. I tried various ways to contact him, many of them, prior to the polite face to face approach; all I sought was a legitimate answer to a simple question. Why? because I have a vested interest in a corps he wants to eliminate.

OK..........................now you are trying to get the debate fuled here. There ae pletnty of G7 related threads out there....lets keep this one on topic and if you want, go dig up an old G7 thread or start one of your own. This thread is about the Blue Devils. Not Dave Gibbs and his proposals.

• Like 1

OK..........................now you are trying to get the debate fuled here. There ae pletnty of G7 related threads out there....lets keep this one on topic and if you want, go dig up an old G7 thread or start one of your own. This thread is about the Blue Devils. Not Dave Gibbs and his proposals.

The thread title is, "What's with all the hate for BD". I stated my opinion in that my hate is not at BD (the corps is wonderful) my hate is at the condescending arrogant proposal written by the director of BD; which by the way does answer the question proposed in the thread title. So, why has that got your draws in a wad?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

The thread title is, "What's with all the hate for BD". I stated my opinion in that my hate is not at BD (the corps is wonderful) my hate is at the condescending arrogant proposal written by the director of BD; which by the way does answer the question proposed in the thread title. So, why has that got your draws in a wad?

*turning stone faced*

*walking away*

• Like 4