What's with all the hate for BD

the combine initially were looked at in favor but soon after were called the same as those who want the power now. If the internet exsisted in 1973/ 74 you would have heard just as much negative talk about the DCI founders as you here about the G7 ers today

many people today still believe those founders killed drum corps and are still passionate about that

I agree that there were (are) different sentiments people had (have) about the Combine split and what it did, or did not do, to the activity. But, what you are saying is that in 1974 Royer, Warren, Bonfiglio wanted to also shaft all other DCI top corps, and completely eliminate all support for lower level corps, just like Gibbs, Hopkins, and Fiedler of today?

• Like 1

I agree that there were (are) different sentiments people had (have) about the Combine split and what it did, or did not do, to the activity. But, what you are saying is that in 1974 Royer, Warren, Bonfiglio wanted to also shaft all other DCI top corps, and completely eliminate all support for lower level corps, just like Gibbs, Hopkins, and Fiedler of today?

well..what i am saying is many would believe that those of power at the time were just as much about their own thing or maybe more concerned about a certain amount of " ELITE" in our activity and not about ALL. the sentiment about those of power and their motives is no different to many of the time...I guess thats what im saying

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

well..what i am saying is many would believe that those of power at the time were just as much about their own thing or maybe more concerned about a certain amount of " ELITE" in our activity and not about ALL. the sentiment about those of power and their motives is no different to many of the time...I guess thats what im saying

So, Dan Acheson was lying about the history of DCI when he wrote:

"... Drum Corps International’s 38-year history, which in its very own mission statement claims to be *a cooperative fraternity of its member drum corps*... one of the truly spectacular aspects of DCI's fraternal dynamic is that no matter the background, no matter the different points of view, no matter the underlying competitiveness, *there has always been compassionate resolve in the end that serves the entire collective*. Because of recent governance related events, these passionate corps leaders have a long way to go to come back together *as a cooperative fraternity* in order to determine a direction for the future..."

• Like 1

So, Dan Acheson was lying about the history of DCI when he wrote:

"... Drum Corps International’s 38-year history, which in its very own mission statement claims to be *a cooperative fraternity of its member drum corps*... one of the truly spectacular aspects of DCI's fraternal dynamic is that no matter the background, no matter the different points of view, no matter the underlying competitiveness, *there has always been compassionate resolve in the end that serves the entire collective*. Because of recent governance related events, these passionate corps leaders have a long way to go to come back together *as a cooperative fraternity* in order to determine a direction for the future..."

read that mission statement to those corps who folded..hundreds..and many from that era.....yes they would say they were lied to. Dont get me wrong I am not saying the G7 directors are or should be followed as a matter of fact I can honestly say through personal dealings with 1 of them that a horrible person would only begin to describe them BUT I do believe as many did that initially DCI was NOT about ALL.Ones view of the past can always be looked at through rose colored glasses and certainly with selective memory...on either side.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

The Concord Blue Devils are, hands down, the single greatest time honored, time tested, decorated, storied, best performing drum corps in the world.

They know it. They love it.

Every other corps knows it. They hate it.

DCP is too busy wetting their pants over Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment and the Madison Scouts to appreciate it.

For what its worth, I mean no disrespect to CC, PR or the Scouts. They are all wonderful drum corps who have delivered a ton of amazing drum corps over the years and I love them for it.

...in the DCI era...

For me it's the design.... Great organization, great performers, haven't liked most of their designs since 1993 unfortunately...

Many others here have given good reasons why...

• Like 1

read that mission statement to those corps who folded..hundreds..and many from that era.....yes they would say they were lied to. Dont get me wrong I am not saying the G7 directors are or should be followed as a matter of fact I can honestly say through personal dealings with 1 of them that a horrible person would only begin to describe them BUT I do believe as many did that initially DCI was NOT about ALL.Ones view of the past can always be looked at through rose colored glasses and certainly with selective memory...on either side.

Using that line of reasoning (that the origonal top directors of the Combine corps were actually power hungry and lying about the DCI mission being for all corps), Bonfiglio therefore had no reason to complain at all when that came back to bite him in 1986, correct?

Using that line of reasoning (that the origonal top directors of the Combine corps were actually power hungry and lying about the DCI mission being for all corps), Bonfiglio therefore had no reason to complain at all when that came back to bite him in 1986, correct?

i guess some could look at it that way

i guess some could look at it that way

There is no, *looking at it that way*. Either Bonfiglio was for the DCI mission (in which all corps worked as a co-op and all corps were supposed to support the facilitation of all corps in the organization) and therefore had the right to be upset in 1986, or Bonfiglio was part of the lying and conniving crew you said existed and who's own philosophy came back to bite him in 1986. Which is it?

(this would also apply to the directors of the Kingsmen, Muchachos, Kilties, Bridgemen, etc... Were they part of the lying conniving crew that got bit by their own philosophy?)

Edited by Stu

There is no, *looking at it that way*. Either Bonfiglio was for the DCI mission (in which all corps worked as a co-op and all corps were supposed to support the facilitation of all corps in the organization) and therefore had the right to be upset in 1986, or Bonfiglio was part of the lying and conniving crew you said existed and who's own philosophy came back to bite him in 1986. Which is it?

(this would also apply to the directors of the Kingsmen, Muchachos, Kilties, Bridgemen, etc... Were they part of the lying conniving crew that got bit by their own philosophy?)

YES ,many would believe they were lied to MANY..I knew a few of those guys and YES I do remeber as a kid some saying make no mistake we are in this to win this. This was a new business venture at the time and treated as one. Youre asking me to say exactly what these founders of DCI really meant or didnt all Im saying is you nor I know for sure. Do i think some of those people who were for the combine got bit by what DCI became,,,,,,for sure, no doubt at all

YES ,many would believe they were lied to MANY..I knew a few of those guys and YES I do remeber as a kid some saying make no mistake we are in this to win this. This was a new business venture at the time and treated as one. Youre asking me to say exactly what these founders of DCI really meant or didnt all Im saying is you nor I know for sure. Do i think some of those people who were for the combine got bit by what DCI became,,,,,,for sure, no doubt at all

Ok; (in your opinion) which directors in the origonal combine were really and truly altruistic who actually agreed with the mission, and who were the lying-conniving power-players who were two-faced toward the mission?