91 BD or 93 BD?

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which show would you like to see BD do again?

• 1991 (Conversations In Jazz)
    • 1993 (Don Ellis Portrait)

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine who like myself is a huge Drumcorps fan. We talked about shows we would like to see BD do again. He said 91 BD, while i went with 93 BD with 84 BD honorable mention (I want La Fiesta played while i am on my death bed lol). Regardless of which show is performed, it would be very exciting to see both of these shows again. The hornlines......well....wow!!!! Maybe two of the best ever imo. Till this very day my friend still blames the 91 BD hornline for his slight hearing loss lol. I think it would be interesting to see these shows again because of the improvement of the percussion and color guard. Percussion was horrific those years (i believe that Scojo was at SCV during those years) and has vastly improved. And the CG has taken High Guard five of the last six years. If BD was going to re-visit one of these shows, which one would you want to see again?

91, without hesitation or pause for reflection...

The MOST amazing horn line in the Blue Devils history (imo, of course).

I think 93 might be pretty close behind it! I personally don't know the answer to the OP's question; I would LOVE to see a modern BD play one of these shows with a) a Championship caliber percussion and b) a Championship caliber visual design. I think 91 and 93 (and to add to the trifecta, 00) are the most underrated shows in BD's history: 91 and 93 are two of the best horn lines they've ever fielded, IMO. I'd love to see BD tackle either one of these shows again

1991 just HANDS DOWN AMAZING imho..unreal :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I've said it before and I'll say it again revisiting the horn arrangement for Conversations in Jazz note for note start to finish with and update visual and percussion would be incredible.

Edited by Zeke

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine who like myself is a huge Drumcorps fan. We talked about shows we would like to see BD do again. He said 91 BD, while i went with 93 BD with 84 BD honorable mention (I want La Fiesta played while i am on my death bed lol). Regardless of which show is performed, it would be very exciting to see both of these shows again. The hornlines......well....wow!!!! Maybe two of the best ever imo. Till this very day my friend still blames the 91 BD hornline for his slight hearing loss lol. I think it would be interesting to see these shows again because of the improvement of the percussion and color guard. Percussion was horrific those years (i believe that Scojo was at SCV during those years) and has vastly improved. And the CG has taken High Guard five of the last six years. If BD was going to re-visit one of these shows, which one would you want to see again?

Gonna go with 91 here....but THANK YOU for the 84 mention!!

But not by a lot. 1993 gets an " ordinal" victory for being just a bit more entertaining.

As a horn player, I think the soloists and small ensemble moments in 91 and 93 are just off the charts in terms of greatness and entertainment. But to me, 93 is more of " the dream show for a brass player". Whether hauntingly played parts as Intros, or straight up in your face solos- 1993 has it all.

The ballads of 91 and 93 are in my top 5 of all time of any corps. I will take those two being brought back, in their entirety. The rest of the show whether Bird and Bella in B flat, Adeventures in Time or Open Wide or Niner Two- I feel good in knowing those can stand alone as great early 90s drum corps. Those tunes were fitting for their time.

Although, I would love for BD to bring back Strawberry Soup or new/ unheard as of yet, Don Ellis....( or better, Madison to do some undiscovered Ellis).

I think 93 might be pretty close behind it! I personally don't know the answer to the OP's question; I would LOVE to see a modern BD play one of these shows with a) a Championship caliber percussion and b) a Championship caliber visual design. I think 91 and 93 (and to add to the trifecta, 00) are the most underrated shows in BD's history: 91 and 93 are two of the best horn lines they've ever fielded, IMO. I'd love to see BD tackle either one of these shows again

2000 BD is one of my favorite shows as well. Their percussion that year (6th place Finals night) was their downfall. While i absolutely love what the Cadets/Cavies did that year, i can't help but wonder how finals would have shaped up if BD's percussion showed up that night. Looking at the recaps from finals night that year, BD was step for step with Cadets/Cavies in every Caption and Subcaption, until it came to percussion. Thats where BD fell behind. Although i still want BD to do 1993's show again, i gotta agree with you that 2000 BD with a improved drumline would be BEAST!!!

'93 gets my vote. All time favorite BD show, hands down. Might be my favorite drum corps show of all time as well. Like someone already said, was a brass player's dream. I still get chills hearing that ensemble in Strawberry Soup 18 years later...and I've heard it more times than I can count.