91 BD or 93 BD?

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which show would you like to see BD do again?

• 1991 (Conversations In Jazz)
    • 1993 (Don Ellis Portrait)

91 for sure of those two choices. I've always been a huge fan of the '95 show and would really love to see that one done again with less slop. I think they could've easily scooped up the championship that year were it not for getting a bit sloppy at the end.

• Like 1

Tough choice! Both are amazing brass shows with TERRIBLE drum lines. Top to bottom, I think 93 is more solid, but the Bird and Bela ending to 91 is just NUTS. The last few minutes of that show are ungodly.

Tough choice! Both are amazing brass shows with TERRIBLE drum lines. Top to bottom, I think 93 is more solid, but the Bird and Bela ending to 91 is just NUTS. The last few minutes of that show are ungodly.

I'd add that the first minute and change of 1991 are as well. The first time I saw Devs in 95, and they went into the riff from the 91 opener, I was crazy excited to hear that again (with a much improved visual design and percussion book over the 91 original): I know it was just a short phrase, but it made me crave a 91 re-do!

That being said, I absolutely LOVE the arrangements in 1993, and for whatever reason I adore 'Open Wide/Great Divide' as well as their arrangement/brass performance of 'Strawberry Soup.' I kinda think perfection would be Blue Devils show of 91's opener and closer, with 93's middle. But I realize that would be FAR to much awesomeness for us mere mortals to handle :tongue:

• Like 1

I'd add that the first minute and change of 1991 are as well. The first time I saw Devs in 95, and they went into the riff from the 91 opener, I was crazy excited to hear that again (with a much improved visual design and percussion book over the 91 original): I know it was just a short phrase, but it made me crave a 91 re-do!

That being said, I absolutely LOVE the arrangements in 1993, and for whatever reason I adore 'Open Wide/Great Divide' as well as their arrangement/brass performance of 'Strawberry Soup.' I kinda think perfection would be Blue Devils show of 91's opener and closer, with 93's middle. But I realize that would be FAR to much awesomeness for us mere mortals to handle :tongue:

Wow combine 91 and 93 together? Can you say Corpsgasm!!!! Considering i am currently in the Military (US Navy for 15 years) that might get me in trouble. Cause if BD ever combined those shows, I am going AWOL from work to see and hear that awesome show live in person lol.

Edited by sniper282000

93. I sat and listened to their victory concert in Mentor Ohio. My ears were still ringing 25 minutes later.

My favorite BD show ever!

Edited by bandmanwalt

91 for me. I liked the '93 show a lot, but it kind of dragged in spots for me, and '91 never did. I maintain that it is one of the few shows that you could use a time machine and drop in today and it wouldn't feel out of place.

Mike