I Say... The Greatest Closer Ever Is...

oh, and also that was the year that the didn't announce the placements in quarters and semis, only that you made finals or were in the top six... judges were randomly chosen and the performance order was picked out of a hat (although i believe the tradition of the champion going on last was held), so i would imagine it was quite a surprise hearing devils being announced in third after coming in undefeated...

Actually, each corps only knew whether they were 1-5 or 6-12 (for broadcast purposes). I also believe that Garfield just drew the last position - I do not think they were guaranteed that as defending champion - it was just luck. I remember the directors drawing and being thrilled that we were in the top 5. I think everyone was shocked that BD ended up in 3rd place, but it was also a bit suprising that Star ended up in 7th. It was an exciting year throughout and I was happy my friends in the Sky Ryders made it to finals.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre and Post DCI/27 - The Impossible Dream - 68, 69, 73 and may be others. However it wasn't the closer every year, but was played other years as well....just beautiful!

79 & 80 Spirit - Let It Be Me

Edited by LancerFi

Blue Devils "When a man loves a woman"

Cavies "Softly as I leave you"

27th "Dannyboy"

• 2 weeks later...
I have to add one more to the list: "Send in the Clowns" by Santa Clara Vanguard. Can't listen to it without getting goosebumps, especialy when they turn from the backfield and go into "The Bottle Dance"

My favorite closer ever is Scouts 1984 - I have never heard anything that rivaled the excitement of the last few minutes of that show.

That one's in my car stereo right now! I;m always amazed that Shaun Owens could peel off that last screamer note on the last chord while marching (the utterly high 5th above the chord....last 4 counts). What a way to age out!!

Reading the greatest opener thread caused me to think about my all time favorite closer.  For me it is  (insert drum roll)

1980 SCV - Evita

BamRam

Bam,

Thanks for that. It was great fun playing it. Although we did poorly at finals, the SCV '80 show was very innovative and fun to march. I'll go out on a limb and say that the show changed the face of drum corp from that point on.

Yep, the Planets: Jupiter was out there! :P

First post, BTW! :wall:

Edited by scv guy

I have to add one more to the list: "Send in the Clowns" by Santa Clara Vanguard. Can't listen to it without getting goosebumps, especialy when they turn from the backfield and go into "The Bottle Dance"

The push still gives me chills! It's a LOT louder than the rest of the piece. Probably facing backfield most of the time. Wish I had a vid of that show!