95 Velvet Knights....well pick a VK show and it was underated

99 Madison Scouts

Just a few shows i think were a bit underrated

Ben

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words of respect regarding the '83 and '84 versions of Suncoast Sound. I wrote the drill for Suncoast those two years, but I would have to say we got or came #### close to placing where we deserved those two years. If you are talking about "Underrated shows" my vote would go to 1982 Suncoast. That was my first year there and my first attempt at writing a full show drill. Although the judges placed us 13th that summer, I have always felt we belonged in 10th that year. I just wish DCI would make available videos of corps beyond the top 12. I'm sure there would be much discussion and head scratching after viewing some of the corps shows from any year that didn't quite make it into the top 12.

Edited by Russellrks

Thanks for the kind words of respect regarding the '83 and '84 versions of Suncoast Sound. I wrote the drill for Suncoast those two years, but I would have to say we got or came #### close to placing where we deserved those two years. If you are talking about "Underrated shows" my vote would go to 1982 Suncoast. That was my first year there and my first attempt at writing a full show drill. Although the judges placed us 13th that summer, I have always felt we belonged in 10th that year. I just wish DCI would make available videos of corps beyond the top 12. I'm sure there would be much discussion and head scratching after viewing some of the corps shows from any year that didn't quite make it into the top 12.

I'd have to agree. No offense to Spirit, but I remember thinking at the time Suncoast was a better corps and should have been in finals. By the way, since we're talking about Suncoast and Spirit, has anyone else ever noticed that for 7 straight years (82-88) those two finished back to back every year with Suncoast coming out on top 4 of those times? Just a little trivia. Rich

Here's another corps I don't hear that much about - 82 Crossmen. I don't know if finishing 7th can really qualify as being "underrated", but as far as "true gems" (to qoute the original poster), I absolutely love that show. What a smooth, powerful sound and IMO the best version of Russian Christmas Music they ever performed. Lets not forget they only finished 5.5 points behind SCV and 7.2 behind the Devils, a pretty impressive feat back then.

1990 Blue Devils - Tommy Good show, just not jazz, and I think that hurt BD. If they did that show today, they'd win with it!

By the way....don't you think their drum major that year looked like Ian Ziering who played Steve on Beverly Hills 90210? :)

*strokes chin like Montablan in Star Trek II*

"But you.....ahhh yess...I never forget a face....Mr....

GULKE!

James Gulke...of the...Blue Devilsssss..

Tell me - Why aren't you herrree..."

(deep inhale)

"And tell me...where I might find....Micheal T. Moxleeyyyyyy"

*sadistic laugh*

(I love that movie)

I have the videos for Suncoast Sound from 1982. Awesome show, awesome corps, one of my faovirte shows from Suncoast Sound....favorite part is the rotating wedge in "Greatest love of all"

That being said....sorry, Suncoast was right where they belonged...true, Cavies gave a horrible performance in prelims to sqeek into 12th, but in the end Cavaliers and Spirit, aong with Skyryders all had better total shows.......

The Troopers and the Knights were on the same level as Suncaost Sound so they are "lucky they performed as good as they did, or they could have wound up lower.

~G~

ps: Underrated, meaning not talked about or exploited as much as other high profile shows

~G~

*strokes chin like Montablan in Star Trek II*

"But you.....ahhh yess...I never forget a face....Mr....

GULKE!

James Gulke...of the...Blue Devilsssss..

Tell me - Why aren't you herrree..."

(deep inhale)

"And tell me...where I might find....Micheal T. Moxleeyyyyyy"

*sadistic laugh*

(I love that movie)

?????????

Gulke wasnt the 90 Drum major .....

94 was his first year.

~G~

Hey G, I have the 1982 prelims videos for Suncoast and Spirit. I would love to get a copy of prelims videos of Cavies and Skyryders from anyone who might have them. (Just to let you know that although we disagree I do have something more than a 21 year old biased memory to base my opinion on). :)

Oh, and by the way, I would call a four point spread over Troopers and a five point spread over Knights a little bit more than luck, wouldn't you? :lol:

Edited by Russellrks

For consideration: Suncoast Sound's second version of "Florida Suite."