Most Under Rated Shows Of All Time...

Oh, I just realized he's a drummer.............that's still no excuse.

:)

Woobie,

There's only so much the "meat and potatoes, I don't want to think, just put the show right in my lap" crowd can handle.

........... It showed me that simple elegance can be powerful too. That there can be DYNAMICS other than "REALLY ####### LOUD"....the SUBTLETY can PEEL YOUR FACE OFF TOO.

And isn't that what music is supposed to do? Open your mind, expand your "realm" of the world around you?

1993 Star of Indiana rules on high forever. I wish you guys would come back.

Thanks Lisa!

I never thought about the pop star metaphor.............sorta interesting.

I wish Star would come back too, but I don't think it will ever happen. It would be hella tough to come back with the expectation of just picking up where we left off................

More points for Lisa! :)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I base my choices on shows that have had a strong and lasting impression on me but never enjoyed equal acclaim by the drum corps masses. All three are famous corps that didn't have their best programs in terms of execution musically, but did manage to convey brilliant creativity and strong emotion.

1984 MADISON. Not one of their cleanest musically, but what amazing entertainment, excitement, and artistry. THOSE are the uniforms they should use today, IMO -- what a great look and image! The word that charaterizes this corps is "charisma." Ballet in Brass, Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters, and Cats -- probably my favorite Madison show of all time.

1988 CAVALIERS. This show was lost among the head-spinning array of other great shows that year. Also, I believe it doesn't get the credit because of all the other great shows that Cavaliers had prior to and since then. Also, they did a classic, Firebird, rather than the more creative and exploratory pieces we've come to experience from them over the years. They had a young guard and fought through a challenging horn book, but the drill was vintage Brubaker and it melded so well with many great musical moments. The determination of the brass to execute with limited success technically was actually awe-inspiring to me due to the fact that they were still able to convey such strong emotion through those horns!

1991 CADETS OF BERGEN COUNTY (sorry, I still can't get used to the stripped down "Cadets"). This was the future. Often derided as being too weird and out-for-out's-sake, the show actually covered a great spectrum of styles and emotions, and the closer was just plain unforgettable, even if not everyone's cup of tea. The middle portion of the show has never enjoyed adequete appreciation, I believe, because the Finals telecast had the cameras on the guard soloists too much of the time. A fascinating, humorous, whimsical show that still holds up well today and is most legendary to the small cult of us who still adore it.

84 Madison was pure energy. The last 60 seconds of their show is one of my favorite things to listen too.....

too bad the video cut off their drill.....it matched the music perfectly.

1993 Blue Devils :blink:

Although that may be because that was the first show I ever saw, so it probably holds a special place in my heart! :rolleyes:

I skipped to the end of this post, so I hope I'm not repeating something. Here's a few off the top of my head.

82 Cavaliers, I love this show from begining to end, and I never hear anyone talk about it.

83, 84, and 86 27th Lancers, I love all three of these shows, 86 is a touch of what a modern 2-7 would sound like, makes me sad that it never happened.

87 Sky Ryders, tear jerker. Guard guy jumping off tower thing, I wonder if he has back problems now.

88 Marauders, Ugly Uniforms, cool show.

90 SCV, This show should have been in 4th place.

90 Boston, best version of Conquest ever IMO.

91 Freelancers, Drum Corps in the Round, the only corps to ever do it. Amazing.

94 and 95 SCV, the 95 horn book had lots of good meat.

Les Etolies any year. I miss them and their drum racks.

98 Madison, if the only the drum line had been better.

99 Colts, Great corps overall, Emily Neuendorf has the most beautiful hair i've ever seen.

I could think of more, but i'm too tired.

1988 CAVALIERS

1991 CADETS OF BERGEN COUNTY

I agree strongly with those two picks. "Short Ride" and "Letter from Home" were just fantastic.

I also want to mention the 1993 Cavaliers. Haunting, emotional music, intricate visuals. Wish I could have marched it.

Obviously there was a lot going on in 1993, and this show gets lost in the hubbub over Star, Phantom, and Cadets, but it still grips me.

I agree 93 Cavies was great as was 94

I agree 93 Cavies was great as was 94

amen, while i did like 90 the best, 91 and 92 certainly gave it a run for its money! they were all awesome shows. 89-93 just might be my favorite Cavaliers era ever. 98-02 could give put up a fight, but 99 just didnt sit well with me for some reason.