Newer Judging System...

You guys are WAY over-thinking this. It's just marching band. "Winning" means literally nothing.

You're right. So what's the big deal? Leave the scoring to the judges and the clapping to the fans.

Must the fans pick a "winner"? Because that process means picking a loser too.

Let the judges decide. We fans already know.

HH

You're right. So what's the big deal? Leave the scoring to the judges and the clapping to the fans.

Must the fans pick a "winner"? Because that process means picking a loser too.

Let the judges decide. We fans already know.

HH

Yeah, but I still want to engage fans via SMS. People like to feel like they are a part of something. Let them have an opinion and give it some value, even if that value is just perception of value.

Yeah, but I still want to engage fans via SMS. People like to feel like they are a part of something. Let them have an opinion and give it some value, even if that value is just perception of value.

what happened to the days when a fan bought a ticket went to a show cheered for who they loved bought a hot dog for who they didnt..and no internet to moan about everything.When did everyone become the expert or judge. We critique corps, directors, music, design choices, kids needs or wants, plume colors.......everything BUT the fan hmmmmmm.....now theres a can of worms..lol

there's going to be arguments about which "right" corps get into the correct spots.

For instance, it seems like Cavies and BD are polar opposites in marching style... So, you either love the way BD does it or the way Cavies march.

And of course this would be true whether one is a first show attendee sitting in the stands, or a visual judge with 30 years of judging experience. Judges, God love them, are being asked to do the impossible, ie to properly compare and contrast completely dissimilar things. Thats why I leave this " better " subjectiveness up to them with no quarrel, and they leave what " I like " in my domain, with no quarrel from them with me. Its seems to work. I'm usually on the highway by the time the scores are being announced, unless its Championship Week.

Edited by BRASSO

what happened to the days when a fan bought a ticket went to a show cheered for who they loved bought a hot dog for who they didnt..and no internet to moan about everything.When did everyone become the expert or judge. We critique corps, directors, music, design choices, kids needs or wants, plume colors.......everything BUT the fan hmmmmmm.....now theres a can of worms..lol

What happened? The internet happened. The proliferation of cellular data happened. Neither of these things are un-happening anytime soon. Let's embrace them and leverage them, eh? Look, people are going to use their cell phones at drum corps shows because people use their cell phones everywhere. There is no reason why DCI/TEPs can't get in on this for their own ends.

• Like 2

What happened? The internet happened. The proliferation of cellular data happened. Neither of these things are un-happening anytime soon. Let's embrace them and leverage them, eh? Look, people are going to use their cell phones at drum corps shows because people use their cell phones everywhere. There is no reason why DCI/TEPs can't get in on this for their own ends.

there was a time where everyone had their place..sad fans cant enjoy for the sake of enjoying..oh well no big deal..you kinda missed the point when i mentioned the internet but thats cool

there was a time where everyone had their place..sad fans cant enjoy for the sake of enjoying..oh well no big deal..you kinda missed the point when i mentioned the internet but thats cool

No, I didn't miss the point. I just think it isn't a good one, so I answered a different question. In marketing/PR, it's called "bridging."

what happened to the days when a fan bought a ticket went to a show cheered for who they loved bought a hot dog for who they didnt..and no internet to moan about everything.

Its never happened. Pick a year. Any year. Go back as far as you'd like. 1950's if you want. 1930's... whenever. People complained about the scores and the placements then too. Since the beginning. If anything, thery complained MORE about the scores and the placements in earlier eras as there was more volatility in scores and placements in earlier decades than today.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

No, I didn't miss the point. I just think it isn't a good one, so I answered a different question. In marketing/PR, it's called "bridging."

my point was the fan has become more than a fan which for many takes away from the experience of just enjoying instead of being judge, jury, designer, cook, fashionesta,music major...thats it

Its never happened. Pick a year. Any year. Go back as far as you'd like. 1950's if you want. 1930's... whenever. People complained about the scores and the placements then too. Since the beginning.

complained yes all the time..became the expert..well thats another story...sems like alot more of that now...but hey doesnt do anything so harmless I suppose