Newer Judging System...

I think the best way to pick a "fan favorite" is to take a random sample of fans at a show and ask them to rank the corps. If I recall from my stats days, 34 is adequate for a statistical sample. Maybe more based on the crowd size? Anyway...

The first question to ask would be "did you see every corps performing tonight?". If they person answered "no", you would move to the next randomly picked person. Asking them to simply rank their favorite corps would suffice. If you did this quickly (with a few people asking the question), you could have an answer before the awards ceremony. I think the best way to pick the sample would be by random draw of seat number.

You could also randomly choose people exiting the stadium, but the results would be posted after the show was well over. You could also pass out voting cards to people entering the statium. Once the show starts you stop handing them out, so the judges will be available to see every corps. You would rely on the fan judges to be honest and report their votes at the end of the show via text or dropping the vote cards in a box to tally after the show. Maybe the cards could have a unique access number so each fan can vote once via text.

The problem with texting votes, as I see it, is that many rabid fans of the "top" corps only come in to the stadium halfway through a show. A few people would text their friends to cast votes from home. Several DCP types would grab the voting phone number from the current shows live DCP thread, and spam the voting with multiple honks for the home team. etc