Newer Judging System...

My wife and I were talking the other day about judging drum corps shows, etc.

To get to the point, I told her if I was a billionaire, I would pay for an electronic system that could be used by the fans...one device for each ticket sold...whereby the fans could vote their favorites at a show.

Think of how the audience on "America's Funniest Videos" votes for the $10,000.00 winner.

Reasoning that the majority of fans in the stands know something about drum corps...ranging from novice to expert...a reasonably valid scoring would entail.

I mean, the object of the competition is to impress the judges, while at the same time entertaining the crowd. So, if the crowd and the judges are one and the same...well, you see where I'm going with this.

While I can't say I can accurately predict the "number" the judges currently award the corps at a show...it's usually not difficult for me to get the final placement correct, bottom to top...DCI or DCA.

If a system like this were used, there might be some placements that were quite different from what we are getting from the judges we now have.

Just my thoughts. What do you think?

My wife and I were talking the other day about judging drum corps shows, etc.

To get to the point, I told her if I was a billionaire, I would pay for an electronic system that could be used by the fans...one device for each ticket sold...whereby the fans could vote their favorites at a show.

Think of how the audience on "America's Funniest Videos" votes for the $10,000.00 winner.

Reasoning that the majority of fans in the stands know something about drum corps...ranging from novice to expert...a reasonably valid scoring would entail.

I mean, the object of the competition is to impress the judges, while at the same time entertaining the crowd. So, if the crowd and the judges are one and the same...well, you see where I'm going with this.

While I can't say I can accurately predict the "number" the judges currently award the corps at a show...it's usually not difficult for me to get the final placement correct, bottom to top...DCI or DCA.

If a system like this were used, there might be some placements that were quite different from what we are getting from the judges we now have.

Just my thoughts. What do you think?

fans will vary night to night, place to place, region to region and placements could be decided based on who had the most homers at a show......doesnt seem good at all.

• Like 1

I wouldn;'t mind seeing something like this done side by side with regular judging ata big event to see what the outcome would be, but as the final determiner of who wins and who doesnt, no thank you

• Like 2

Here's where the whole darn thing falls apart.

I'd wager only ~10% of "Fans in the Stands" know anything at all about the intricacies of musical theory or visual design. I could entertain a concept where the fans contributed to an effect score of some sort, but attending drum corps shows for decades makes you no more qualified to judge, say, musical execution than a spoon.

Put another way, when was the last time you were at a band competition and listened to all the nonsense spewing from band parents' mouths? Sorry, the DCI audience, by and large, isn't that much more enlightened. You can consider me elitist all you want, but without YEARS of professional training and college education in music, you are wholly unqualified to judge a music caption.

IMO. YMMV.

• Like 2

Here's where the whole darn thing falls apart.

I'd wager only ~10% of "Fans in the Stands" know anything at all about the intricacies of musical theory or visual design.

...and likewise, I'd wager that- 10% of judges in the booth or on the field know anything at all about the intricacies of solo rock guitar playing and/ or solo Voice. But that doesn't prevent them from judging these aspects of the competition now either, now does it ? The notion that ( say ) a percussionist is qualified to judge guitar, or that a brass jusdge is qualified to judge Solo Voice or Trio Voice, is no less preposterous than asking fans in the stands to judge these intregal ensembles in the show. If somebody is " unqualified " they are unqualified by training, education, and experience. Its doesn't matter if they payed to get into the show or were given a clipboard, pencil, voice recorder, and a badge. " unqualified " means just what it says.. " unqualified ", it seems to me.

Edited by BRASSO

...and likewise, I'd wager that- 10% of judges in the booth or on the field know anything at all about the intricacies of solo rock guitar playing and/ or solo Voice. But that doesn't prevent them from judging these aspects of the competition now either, now does it ? The notion that ( say ) a percussionist is qualified to judge guitar, or that a brass jusdge is qualified to judge Solo Voice or Trio Voice, is no less preposterous than asking fans in the stands to judge these intregal ensembles in the show. If somebody is " unqualified " they are unqualified by training, education, and experience. Its doesn't matter if they payed to get into the show or were given a clipboard, pencil, voice recorder, and a badge. " unqualified " means just what it says.. " unqualified ", it seems to me.

I disagree completely. A trained brass player may not be the best choice for a percussion judge, but they would be leagues better at it than the average layperson. Musical training makes a SIGNIFICANT difference. In the course of just about any musical degree, regardless of what your individual focus is, you are trained on all aspects of music. My college band professor played trombone at Eastman, but he could sure as heck tell you what was wrong with that choir performance or how to improve your technique on triplet rolls. Remember: Sandra Opie was a vocal instructor before she started teaching the Argonne Rebels brass line.

• Like 1

We could do this now via SMS. DCI would actually *make* money on this by charging $0.10 a vote.

Isn't SMS a phone function? Wouldn't that skew the results even more? Lot's of people carry phones, but the concentration would be in the younger, "less-qualified" fan.

That aside, incorporating this alongside the normal judging panels would invest fans in the result, would cause all kinds of buzz in the stands, and might prompt corps to play more to the fan's whims. And making money besides?

What's the other thread? "I mean, come on!" What's DCI waiting for?

• Like 1

Isn't SMS a phone function? Wouldn't that skew the results even more? Lot's of people carry phones, but the concentration would be in the younger, "less-qualified" fan.

That aside, incorporating this alongside the normal judging panels would invest fans in the result, would cause all kinds of buzz in the stands, and might prompt corps to play more to the fan's whims. And making money besides?

What's the other thread? "I mean, come on!" What's DCI waiting for?

Exactly! Imagine a "Fan's Choice" award at every show, alongside the "real" winner. Fan's choice corps gets an extra $X, and can claim being the favorite of the night. Maybe at the end of the season, the corps that was the Fan's Choice most often gets the Scott Stewart Award.

Charge voters ten cents per vote on their phone bill. Heck, people would even pay $0.50, I bet. Seems like a no-brainer to me. I'm not so worried about the younger-skewing thing... even my mom learned how to text. Kind of.

Some enterprising TEP could do this, even without DCI's help.

• Like 1

fans will vary night to night, place to place, region to region and placements could be decided based on who had the most homers at a show......doesnt seem good at all.

That sounds GREAT to me. Maybe different corps connect with different audiences in a different way from night to night. thumbup.gif

It's not as if we expect this subjective activity to use objective criteria. It's rather impossible to do.

I like what I'm hearing about the new sheets so far, but the proof will be in the pudding. Like when we see the sheets and how they're applied.