Save Drum Corps Part II (a): The Solution

Are we trying to save it or thying to figure out when it will die? I forget :blink:

( I havent one of these threads in months, OK, weeks)

I can no longer tell.

Regarding tour fees, it is actually not all that different. Looking at actual numbers is misleading, there has been some considerable amount of inflation since DCI was founded and corps started doing national tours.

If you look at the adjusted numbers, it isn't all that bad.

For example, from 1972 until 2011, the rate of inflation change is 438%.

$400 in 1972 would be...

1982 - $923

1992 - $1,342

2002 - $1,722

2012 - $2,152

US Inflation Calculator

But what were tour fees back in 1972? I paid $450 in 1986, so I'm having trouble imagining tour fees were $400 in 1972.

On top of this, you have food prices that also outpace inflation. What I am getting at is that, in the context of inflation and the rate of change in fuel and food prices, drum corps are doing an admirable job of keeping tour fees down. It should be obvious to anyone looking at the figures that while the costs of producing a tour have gone up considerably, the proportion of this cost that is covered, on average, by the participant is probably at the lowest it has ever been.

Indeed. Actually, you could make the case that tour fees are too low, and that if top corps are in fact having any trouble making ends meet, perhaps that is the reason.

In 1992, CBC announced that 21% of their income came from "member fees". My closest guess is that, today, fees at Cadets are closer to $3000 than $2000 per season. Times 150 kids that's upwards of $450,000 in income for a corps who's 990 reflects in the neighborhood of $1million of revenue. That's a chunk more than 21% from member fees.

In 1989, DCI paid out $869,000 to corps. In 2009 that number was $2,2-million, an increase of 4.75% per year compared to CPI increase during the same time of about 4.2%

In 1994, the average corps paid $5.73 per person, per corps, per day for food, and they served 5 meals a day. In 2010 Crown fed their corps 4 meals a day for $9.00 per person, a 2.5% annual increase (and a testament to feeding kids extremely well; calorie output today is undoubtedly more than in 1994, yet they're eating only four meals). On average a corps spent $55,000 per year on food in 1994. Crown did it in 2010 for about $85,000. Per person, per season, members spent about $314 per season on food. In 2010 it was closer to $425.

In 1994 fuel/oil cost $1.36/gal and the average corps spent $18,200 on 15,000 gallons used over a tour of about 11,000 miles miles. Today that 11,000 miles would cost about $44,000, an increase of about 5.03% per year (or approx .8% more than the CPI over the same time frame). At the time, MPG of those old buses and truck was less than 1 MPG. Today, it's not uncommon for corps to travel 25,000 to 30,000 miles in a season, and the average MPG of current day buses and trucks is close to 5 MPG.

Well, that makes two interesting collages of statistics.

Do you have any more specifics to offer on the DCI payouts to corps? For instance, among how many corps was that payout divided in 1994, and how many corps today?

...Indeed. Actually, you could make the case that tour fees are too low, and that if top corps are in fact having any trouble making ends meet, perhaps that is the reason.

You can. Not that it matters to the young person (or her parents) struggling to afford the next installment.

Eight weeks at summer day camp in my area costs nearly $6,000. Sleepaway camps costs a lot more.

I know it's incomparable, but what is? Four weeks of camp and eight weeks of tour in the range of $2,500-$3,000 at drum corps covers all meals, instruction and pretty much everything else for $30-$35 a day. Summer day camp (one meal plus entertainment, transportation, etc.) rings in at nearly $150 a day (it's only five days a week).

You can argue that tour fees are low. But let's not.

HH

Well, that makes two interesting collages of statistics.

Do you have any more specifics to offer on the DCI payouts to corps? For instance, among how many corps was that payout divided in 1994, and how many corps today?

"DCI reported that in 1989... Prizes included $118m awarded during the Championship week, with a $8000 award going to the Open Class champion, and $1,300 awards each going to the Class A and A-60 winners. In addition to prizes and fees awarded by DCI drum corps also receive appearance fees for shows sponsored by regional associations, as well as for other events parades and community appearances."

In 1992 CBC reported that approximately 14% of their income was derived from appearance fees.

The other particular information I have is not specific enough to your question to be relevant.

You can. Not that it matters to the young person (or her parents) struggling to afford the next installment.

Eight weeks at summer day camp in my area costs nearly $6,000. Sleepaway camps costs a lot more.

I know it's incomparable, but what is? Four weeks of camp and eight weeks of tour in the range of $2,500-$3,000 at drum corps covers all meals, instruction and pretty much everything else for $30-$35 a day. Summer day camp (one meal plus entertainment, transportation, etc.) rings in at nearly $150 a day (it's only five days a week).

You can argue that tour fees are low. But let's not.

HH

drum corps no doubt is expensive BUT how about those dance recitals..OMG....I have a relative that spends hundreds on a dumb bumble bee costumes and travel..way more than drum corps and they dont get fed and transported 24/7 for months

But what were tour fees back in 1972? I paid $450 in 1986, so I'm having trouble imagining tour fees were $400 in 1972.

We called them 'dues' back then, not 'tour fees'...I wish I recalled them. I think they were less than $400, though.

OTOH...we drove back and forth from home to practices and performance weekends all year long, which added up if you lived any distance from Garfield, as I did. Of course, that cost varied by member, depending on where they lived. Plus, we were responsible for our own meals much of the time, even when travelling.

drum corps no doubt is expensive BUT how about those dance recitals..OMG....I have a relative that spends hundreds on a dumb bumble bee costumes and travel..way more than drum corps and they dont get fed and transported 24/7 for months

Ha! Tell me about it.

My daughter is on a competitive dance team. Not only do we pay a fortune for lessons, costumes, shoes, etc., I just found out (because my wife was hiding it from me!) that we also pay for each competition. I naiively thought the school covered those fees out of all the other fees we paid. Nope. My wife has been writing a three-figure check on the side for each.

Someday I hope to get a full accounting. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that lessons, costumes and all fees (but not transportation, food, etc.) equals or eclipses what kids pay today for drum corps.

HH

We called them 'dues' back then, not 'tour fees'...I wish I recalled them. I think they were less than $400, though.

OTOH...we drove back and forth from home to practices and performance weekends all year long, which added up if you lived any distance from Garfield, as I did. Of course, that cost varied by member, depending on where they lived. Plus, we were responsible for our own meals much of the time, even when travelling.

Wait. We were neighbors?

Oh, you mean THAT one... tongue.gif

When I marched in '73 I paid $150, but I'd need another $100 for tour food. Div. II.